Thread: upping calories

Wannabebig Member

upping calories

Hi, I'm 17, 5 feet 6, and weigh 130 pounds. I'm trying to bulk up while staying as lean as possible. I've been lifting for three months (6 days a week, 1 hour each day, different muscle group with 4 sets on 6 machines) but have been making very little progress. My coach told me I should eat at least 3000 calories for a clean bulk. I counted how much I usually eat and it only came out to 2200 cals. Should I immediately up my intake to 3000 cals or go a little slower (say 2600)? Also, is it ok to eat a lot of calories (1000+) within three hours before bed considering I workout late (usually 7:30PM-9PM)? I was also wondering whether its ok to drink a Starbucks doubleshot+energy drink everyday before my workout? It's only 200 cals, has 12g of protein, and no trans fats or high fructose. It also provides me with plenty of energy for my workouts. Thanks!

I'm no expert, but I'll give what advice I've seen being given around these boards.

I'd up your diet by 500cals, as any more than that will just become fat. I see you only do machines, I think if you want to see more progress you should switch (or at least look at) some of the other programs that 99% of the members do on these boards (Rippetoes, WBB1.1, Baby Got Back..etc). I think the doubleshot is fine, I usually drink coffee before my workout, I find it gives me more energy, and simply because I'm constantly drinking coffee :P!

If your going to bulk while trying to stay as lean as possible, I'd add some cardio (running, swimming, biking) into your workout. I currently have similar goals to you, I do Rippetoes 3 days a week, and do something called HIIT the other 3 days.
    Last edited by ArjunDhir; 05-24-2009 at 01:52 PM.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArjunDhir View Post
    I'm no expert, but I'll give what advice I've seen being given around these boards.

I'd up your diet by 500cals, as any more than that will just become fat. I see you only do machines, I think if you want to see more progress you should switch (or at least look at) some of the other programs that 99% of the members do on these boards (Rippetoes, WBB1.1, Baby Got Back..etc). I think the doubleshot is fine, I usually drink coffee before my workout, I find it gives me more energy, and simply because I'm constantly drinking coffee :P!

If your going to bulk while trying to stay as lean as possible, I'd add some cardio (running, swimming, biking) into your workout. I currently have similar goals to you, I do Rippetoes 3 days a week, and do something called HIIT the other 3 days.
    Good advice, but the 500 calories part isn't correct. If it were true then the Bako shake wouldn't be very popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    Good advice, but the 500 calories part isn't correct. If it were true then the Bako shake wouldn't be very popular.
    I though it was 500up to bulk, 500 down to cut?