The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Boxing Cardio

Wannabebig Member

Boxing Cardio

Hey Guys, I reached my goal of 170 pounds by spring break yesterday (spring break is still three weeks away), so I'm starting to look into ways to throw cardio in on tuesdays and thursdays at the end of the semester, which will be the middle of May. I've been thinking about getting into hitting the bags we have at my gym for cardio once a week and doing sprints on the other day.

My questions are, what's the proper technique for wrapping/taping your hands before you hit the bags? Also, is adding this cardio going to make me lose any weight other than the very small amount of fat I have? I don't want to LOSE weight or muscle, but by then I'll be right around the size I want to be at, and just looking to add strength, quickness, and stay in really good shape.

EDIT: One other thing for any boxers in the house, what's a good way to check my own form? What are some things I should watch for specifically to make sure the form of my punches is good?

thanks!
    Last edited by aaron_c; 03-21-2009 at 12:28 PM.
    Height: 6'2"
    Beginning Weight: 148 pounds (11/2/08)

Current Weight: 171 pounds (3/21/09)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Most people check their form on just about everything by recording it and watching the playback. If you see something wrong on the video, make a mental note of it, monitor yourself, and adjust it. Works on everything from squat and deadlift form to eliminating verbal tics.

To avoid losing more weight, eat more. Compensate for your extra workload by consuming more calories.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Wannabebig Member
    Well at the rate I eat right now, I'm steadily and consistently gaining a pound or so a week, maybe a little less, so I'll hopefully just level off at that point. I can record myself, but I'm really not sure what to check for form-wise unless something just looks totally awkward. I think I may sign up at a boxing board and post the video there for some critique when I get to that point.

Boxing is great HIIT-type cardio. Just do 30-second to a minute rounds (depending on your cardio) and rest 30 seconds or so between rounds. Just work around the bag and throw good, varied punches and combos.

It would be really helpful to work just a little with someone that mostly knows what he's doing. Alternatively, try watching some people that know what they're doing when they throw basic combos (on video).

Wannabebig Member
    There's no possible way I could afford a trainer with college expenses and all; I did do about 30 minutes of work with my jab, hook and uppercuts back when I was doing Brasilian Jiu Jitsu though. From that I learned that basically anything coming from my left hand is ridiculously weak and my right hook isn't that great either. Maybe practice will make perfect though, if I just keep hitting the bags for a while once a week.

And yeah, I watched some youtube instructional vids on boxing cardio. I'm asically just going to mix up my jabs, hooks and uppercuts, doesn't seem to be a lot more to it than that at this point, and yeah start at 1 minute 'rounds' and work my way up to 3 minute rounds with one minute breaks in between.

Wannabebig Member
    Oh, back to the hand wrapping- should I do that for heavy bag work, or is that not really necessary?

I always used bag gloves and didn't feel the need to wrap my hands, and I can hit pretty hard.
    Most of the older guys and guys that were training more frequently wrapped their hands because they were taking a more constant beating.

I would definitely wear some kind of gloves if you choose not to wrap.

Also, (although maybe there is some school that I'm not thinking of) there isn't a right hook in boxing, unless you are left handed.
    Quick jab, stiff jab, straight right (hah, I can't remember what this is really called), left cross, uppercuts, L/R body shots, left hook. Those are the basics I guess. Throw combinations of those and move around and practice blocking sort of. Move in and out a lot. Don't just stand still. Stand (to an extent) on your toes. Boxing forums would be a lot better, but if you posted a video of yourself I could give you some advice based on the traditional boxing style that I learned.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 03-22-2009 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KingJustin View Post
    Also, (although maybe there is some school that I'm not thinking of) there isn't a right hook in boxing, unless you are left handed.
    Quick jab, stiff jab, straight right (hah, I can't remember what this is really called), left cross, uppercuts, L/R body shots, left hook. Those are the basics I guess.
    A straight right is usually called a cross (right hand dominant). Hooks can be thrown with either hand, but it's usually the lead hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
    A straight right is usually called a cross (right hand dominant). Hooks can be thrown with either hand, but it's usually the lead hand.
    Maybe the dudes I worked with were just too traditional or something then. But I remember the boxing dude I worked with was very clear that you don't throw a right hook.

And I remember there was a difference in our old-school style between a "right straight" (probably called something different) and a right-cross. When you throw a cross you're aiming a lot farther left and your body movement is a little different. And you have to defend it a little differently...

Edit: Hah, I guess some schools do use a right hook.
    http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=190040 this has a video of a Thai right hook halfway down. I only learned the knees/kicks/elbows. The left hook/right hook that dude uses is completely different from traditional boxing.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 03-22-2009 at 03:12 PM.

Justin, was your guy telling you not to throw a right hook, or a right hook doesn't exist? I get him telling you not to throw one, but since you can throw a right in the same fashion as a left hook, that doesn't make sense. Your body is in a different position because of your feet, but the motion of the punch is the same. As far as the cross, that's why I said usually, no clue what they would call a straight right that's slightly different than a cross.

I mean, I guess technically you can throw every punch imaginable, including an over-the-top looping back-spinning punch or something else crazy (which Chuck Liddel has probably successfully done). I guess Joe Lewis was saying a right hook exists only to the extent that one of those crazy punches exists. And that you shouldn't do it.
    I guess the deal is that you're never going to be in the position that a right hook is going to be a more powerful punch than a straight right hand. It just comes off as loopy and leaves you open to getting hit right before you actually throw it. And, when you finish with a left hook, your body is in your usual position. But, when you finish with a right hook, your body is a little out of position. I don't recall seeing a right-handed boxer throwing a right hook.

This is kind of trivial.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 03-22-2009 at 04:23 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Well, if you throw a left hook style punch with your right hand, what do you call it? I mean assume you lead with your right hand and are right handed and all?

Quote Originally Posted by aaron_c View Post
    Well, if you throw a left hook style punch with your right hand, what do you call it?
    It's not the same, because if you're right handed then your left hand/foot is always in the front, so it's a different punch. It's easier to explain in person.

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron_c View Post
    Hey Guys, I reached my goal of 170 pounds by spring break yesterday (spring break is still three weeks away), so I'm starting to look into ways to throw cardio in on tuesdays and thursdays at the end of the semester, which will be the middle of May. I've been thinking about getting into hitting the bags we have at my gym for cardio once a week and doing sprints on the other day.

My questions are, what's the proper technique for wrapping/taping your hands before you hit the bags? Also, is adding this cardio going to make me lose any weight other than the very small amount of fat I have? I don't want to LOSE weight or muscle, but by then I'll be right around the size I want to be at, and just looking to add strength, quickness, and stay in really good shape.

EDIT: One other thing for any boxers in the house, what's a good way to check my own form? What are some things I should watch for specifically to make sure the form of my punches is good?

thanks!
    http://www.boxinggyms.com/tips/handwraps.htm
    Stats: Bodyweight : Current= 150 lbs, Height = 5ft11.5

Bench Press:160 lbs/Squat:225 lbs,/Deadlift:305/Total:675lbs/

Not strong yet, but getting there.

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=116786

Australia - Where the women really go down under!
    One other thing for any boxers in the house, what's a good way to check my own form?
    shadow boxing in the mirror.

good luck with it mate.
    "People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."