Thread: Strongman Events: Where to find them?

Banned

Strongman Events: Where to find them?

Hey Guys,

I'm wondering where I can find a list of strongman events in my region (Colorado). I know Powerlifting watch is good for PL events, was wondering if there is anything similar for Strongman events.

I'm trying to work real hard at the moment getting my main compound lifts up and my size up so that maybe I can compete in the future. Would love to check some events out in person and maybe compete in one of the smaller events (assuming they exist)

Thanks in advance
    CM
    Last edited by Cmanuel; 05-17-2009 at 10:58 PM.

Banned

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WillNoble View Post
    Thanks a ton. It looks like there is one next weekend about 20 miles from me. I'll make sure to check it out.

Is this website considered the gold standard among strongman competition at the amateur level in the US?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    Thanks a ton. It looks like there is one next weekend about 20 miles from me. I'll make sure to check it out.

Is this website considered the gold standard among strongman competition at the amateur level in the US?
    Yes - NAS is really the only option unless its a random local comp.

Here are some local guys in Colorado: http://www.coloradoheavyhaulers.com/Home_Page.php

Brian Shaw also lives somewhere in Denver area and is an international level Pro HW competitor. One of the best LW amateurs in the country trains with Brian as well, Dane Kelley. I can get you the contact information for Dane is you are interested in trying some of the implements.

Right now NAS is pretty much the only strongman federation for amateur athletes in the United States. They have over 100 contests per year including National Championships and Pro-Qualifiers (Platinum Plus). The contests are organized into four different levels based on difficulty of events, predicted turnout, etc.

Platinum Plus - These are generally the most challenging contests and the winner here achieves Pro status.
    Platinum - These contests are regional where you will likely have competitors from a few states. The weights will be similar to a national level contest or sometimes even heavier. Top 3 finishers go to Nationals.
    Gold - Generally a statewide contest or small regional contest. Managable weights for a newcomer and the top 2 qualify for Nationals.
    Silver - This is usually a local contest, good for a beginner and the top finisher in each class qualifies for Nationals.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I have written a couple of articles for WBB on setting up a strongman training program and technique on some of the events.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 05-18-2009 at 11:24 AM.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Banned
    Thanks to everyone that has given advice. Much appreciated.

I've been browsing the Marunde Muscle forums and they seem to be pretty good for strongman related stuff. Any other recommendations on forums to frequent?

Also I contact the CO Chair for North American Strongman and emailed him to see if anyone in the northern CO area does event training as a crew. Still awaiting a reply. If it turns out I can't find anyone training around here, I'll definitely try to head to Aurora CO to try and train with the guys on the site you linked.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Here are some local guys in Colorado: http://www.coloradoheavyhaulers.com/Home_Page.php

Brian Shaw also lives somewhere in Denver area and is an international level Pro HW competitor. One of the best LW amateurs in the country trains with Brian as well, Dane Kelley. I can get you the contact information for Dane is you are interested in trying some of the implements.

Right now NAS is pretty much the only strongman federation for amateur athletes in the United States. They have over 100 contests per year including National Championships and Pro-Qualifiers (Platinum Plus). The contests are organized into four different levels based on difficulty of events, predicted turnout, etc.

Platinum Plus - These are generally the most challenging contests and the winner here achieves Pro status.
    Platinum - These contests are regional where you will likely have competitors from a few states. The weights will be similar to a national level contest or sometimes even heavier. Top 3 finishers go to Nationals.
    Gold - Generally a statewide contest or small regional contest. Managable weights for a newcomer and the top 2 qualify for Nationals.
    Silver - This is usually a local contest, good for a beginner and the top finisher in each class qualifies for Nationals.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I have written a couple of articles for WBB on setting up a strongman training program and technique on some of the events.
    Thanks for the information Tom, it really helps. As far as questions go, I'm sure I'll have more as I learn more about the sport. Can you link me to said articles about strongman training?

Thanks again
    CM

Here are the articles:

Creating an Effective Strongman Training Routine

Strongman Technique Series

Let me know if the Colorado State Chair does not get back to you and I can reach out to some people. A lot of strongmen post on the Marunde Board, which I would say is the central resource. Outside of that IronTrybe has a few guys and NAS has a forum called "The Anvil" for contest information. If you need help with training I can always provide you with information here.

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Banned
    Here are the articles:

Creating an Effective Strongman Training Routine

Strongman Technique Series

Let me know if the Colorado State Chair does not get back to you and I can reach out to some people. A lot of strongmen post on the Marunde Board, which I would say is the central resource. Outside of that IronTrybe has a few guys and NAS has a forum called "The Anvil" for contest information. If you need help with training I can always provide you with information here.
    Thanks as always Tom. Still no word from the CO State chair. My best bet for events training looks to be the guys down in Aurora CO that you linked me to. Problem is that I'm really strapped for cash as a grad student and I cant afford another gym membership just to train 1 day a week there (they train at a commercial gym)

I've been lurking around the Marunde board. Seems to be a great resource. I'm going to make an account sometime later this week when im not swamped with work. If I can find events training around here I'd like to compete strongman within the year at the novice level.
    Last edited by Cmanuel; 05-21-2009 at 10:50 PM.

Thanks as always Tom. Still no word from the CO State chair. My best bet for events training looks to be the guys down in Aurora CO that you linked me to. Problem is that I'm really strapped for cash as a grad student and I cant afford another gym membership just to train 1 day a week there (they train at a commercial gym)

I've been lurking around the Marunde board. Seems to be a great resource. I'm going to make an account sometime later this week when im not swamped with work. If I can find events training around here I'd like to compete strongman within the year at the novice level.
    Hmmm, that is a bit of a dilema.

PM me your email and I will reach out to one of my friends for you.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 05-22-2009 at 12:11 PM.

Banned
    Hmmm, that is a bit of a dilema.

PM me your email and I will reach out to one of my friends for you.
    PM Sent

Think anyone over on the Q&A page at EFS might have some input on finding a strongman crew to hit up for events days?

PM Sent

Think anyone over on the Q&A page at EFS might have some input on finding a strongman crew to hit up for events days?
    EFS is more powerlifting, not strongman. There are a few guys who write for them occasionally but I would consider it powerlifting if you wanted to categorize.

I did hear back from my friend and will forward your info.

The thing with strongman is that most guys drive anywhere from 30 minutes up to about 3 hours each way to train events. I would routinely (every other weekend) drive a little over two hours each way to train when I lived in Florida, and in New Jersey would drive about 1:15 each way every weekend to train. Having access to the implements and being able to train with good quality competitors can make a huge difference.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 05-26-2009 at 07:55 AM.