The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticBliss View Post
    Any problem with doing seated overhead presses insted of standing? The ceiling height in my basement is too low to do standing.

Thanks
    I shouldnt be a problem but..... Standing > Seated.

Go outside and do your pressing.
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    Any opinions, comments welcome

I've just finished my first month of SS! I've lost about 4-6lbs but I mainly see that in my mid-section (visually my weakest area, lol). Right now I'm 5' 6" and 150lbs. Basically, I have never done a squat or deadlift before SS so my lifting stats right now are low. I've increased weight by 5 to 10lbs per workout with the exception of shoulder presses which I've made even smaller progression. I also workout from home and don't have a spotter so I do what I can safely.

Here are my stats after 1 month;

2x5 warm up sets at 1/2 working weight before each exercise.

Squat: 130lbs 3x5
    DeadLift: 140lbs 1x5
    Bench: 120lbs 3x5
    Rows: 110lbs 3x5
    Shoulder Press: 65lbs 3x5

I'd like to be about 165-170lbs. Just a rough goal I'm shooting for. I'm getting an average of about 3200 cals a day and approx. 50% Carb, 25% protein, 25% fat. I have a job that burns a lot of energy so once I'm done my whey protein I might move into a meal replacement to see if that helps gain a bit more. I can't afford a huge supplement addition so it's one or the other.
    Last edited by andrewj; 10-02-2009 at 03:39 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Ey. I've heard this was a great routine. I'm used to doing slot more isolation. Is this really gonna work my whole body? Seems like it won't get my arms very good. And should I do them in the order listed??

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiimjohn1234565 View Post
    Ey. I've heard this was a great routine. I'm used to doing slot more isolation. Is this really gonna work my whole body? Seems like it won't get my arms very good. And should I do them in the order listed??
    If you do the routine like it tells you your arms do get a good workout. However, my triceps feel more of a burn than my biceps. I'm definitely going to keep at SS.

Wannabebig Member
    I hold my breath for all 5 reps of benchpressing. The last two feels like my head is going to explode - But pausing and taking in a breath midway kind of throws my rhythm. Is the head exploding feeling normal / somthing to be worried about?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewj View Post

I've just finished my first month of SS! I've lost about 4-6lbs but I mainly see that in my mid-section (visually my weakest area, lol). Right now I'm 5' 6" and 150lbs. Basically, I have never done a squat or deadlift before SS so my lifting stats right now are low. I've increased weight by 5 to 10lbs per workout with the exception of shoulder presses which I've made even smaller progression. I also workout from home and don't have a spotter so I do what I can safely.

I'd like to be about 165-170lbs. Just a rough goal I'm shooting for. I'm getting an average of about 3200 cals a day and approx. 50% Carb, 25% protein, 25% fat. I have a job that burns a lot of energy so once I'm done my whey protein I might move into a meal replacement to see if that helps gain a bit more. I can't afford a huge supplement addition so it's one or the other.
    Sounds good, just keep plugging away at it. There's no need to spend money on supps. Milk is a great way to get in some extra quality calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiimjohn1234565 View Post
    Well it is a whole body routine, so I think it will work you whole body just fine. Do the exercises in the order listed.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    I hold my breath for all 5 reps of benchpressing. The last two feels like my head is going to explode - But pausing and taking in a breath midway kind of throws my rhythm. Is the head exploding feeling normal / somthing to be worried about?
    I'd say it's probably just something you need to get used to, but only you know what it feels like. If you think it is dangerous, don't do it. Just use your best judgment.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by andrewj View Post

With your warm ups you want to progressively add weight, but not going higher than a weight that will affect your work sets...

Do your first warm up set with just the bar to solidify correct form. Then do 3 more warm up sets using progressively more weight each set, try to stay about 20-30lbs below your work set weight on the final warm up set.

As for gaining mass, calories and protein are of highest importance. Mentioned earlier, drink WHOLE milk through out the day. Rippetoe and others have advocated a GOMAD (Gallon of Milk a Day) diet. It seems a little overboard, but you will definitely be meeting your protein/kcal requirements for recovery and subsequent growth.

Make sure you are doing proper form (i.e. full squat form where your butt goes slightly below parallel.) This will elicit maximal neuro-muscular and growth adaption.
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 10-04-2009 at 01:10 PM.

I previously mentioned before my difficulty with squatting 205, so I deloaded 10% and worked my way back up.... only to get stuck back at 205, i've been stuck at this weight for pretty much the past 3 workouts and dont know what to do

I weigh 185 at 6'2 and take in 3500 cal a day, now people who post on rips forum would suggest I take in pretty much double that for my strength,but is this really needed? Or should I take a more periodisation approach to my lifting?

This stall is starting to piss me off tbh

Wannabebig New Member
    got a bit of a problem. i can no longer do squats, seemed to have damaged my knee whilst running. have had this injury for a while and doing squats only aggravates it so i have decided to drop them from my workout for the foreseeable future.

so what should i replace squats with as they are an integral part to this workout plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Alyion View Post
    I deloaded 10% and worked my way back up.... only to get stuck back at 205... and dont know what to do

I'll let the Starting Strength guys give you a definative answer, but I would be looking at ways to increase recovery, be that diet or rest.
    Last edited by Off Road; 10-09-2009 at 08:27 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    I weigh 185 at 6'2 and take in 3500 cal a day, now people who post on rips forum would suggest I take in pretty much double that for my strength,but is this really needed? Or should I take a more periodisation approach to my lifting?
    No, you definitely do not need more calories. Take smaller jumps in weight if possible or try another program.

I previously mentioned before my difficulty with squatting 205, so I deloaded 10% and worked my way back up.... only to get stuck back at 205, i've been stuck at this weight for pretty much the past 3 workouts and dont know what to do

This stall is starting to piss me off tbh
    When I say this, please understand I'm not trying to put you down, but 205 is not very much weight given your stats. If you really can't progress past 205, I suspect you either have some medical issues like low test (which is unlikely) of you're doing something wrong, be it form, rest or most likely diet.

Are you gaining weight currently? If not, start eating more, but don't necessarily double you intake.

Are you other lifts progressing? If not, start eating more.

All that said, different people respond differently to different stimulus. It is possible that SS is just not right for you. Although, it is very unlikely you can't manage to get passed 205.

Quote Originally Posted by Stars View Post
    got a bit of a problem. i can no longer do squats, seemed to have damaged my knee whilst running. have had this injury for a while and doing squats only aggravates it so i have decided to drop them from my workout for the foreseeable future.

so what should i replace squats with as they are an integral part to this workout plan?
    You can't do this workout without squats. I'm not going to suggest an alternative because there's really nothing that will give you the same benefits.

added 45 pounds to my powerclean tonight...

I almost got 50 more pounds, I only tried it once though and decided I'd leave some excitement for next time.

I've been doing it the way they recommend in SS, as in 5x3, but I found I just got so tired after even one that I needed more rest.

So I started doing singles and got 135 which is what I was stalled on last week. Then I would rest a few minutes, add another 5 pounds. I did that all the way up to 180.

I just wish I could do that with my bench press, its stuck at 165!

My OHP is stuck too, at about 115 or so.

And my squat...at 240..

I might just switch to Texas Method.

Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    I almost got 50 more pounds, I only tried it once though and decided I'd leave some excitement for next time.

I've been doing it the way they recommend in SS, as in 5x3, but I found I just got so tired after even one that I needed more rest.

So I started doing singles and got 135 which is what I was stalled on last week. Then I would rest a few minutes, add another 5 pounds. I did that all the way up to 180.

I just wish I could do that with my bench press, its stuck at 165!

My OHP is stuck too, at about 115 or so.

And my squat...at 240..

I might just switch to Texas Method.
    I will go out on a limb and speculate that you started too high on your weights, progressed them too quickly and your diet is less than optimal.

Back off 20ish lbs on all weights, perfect your form/technique and begin adding the minimal weights 2.5-5lbs for your presses/power clean and 5-10lbs on your squats.

For diet, if you are trying to gain strength and mass, through caution to the wind and eat the **** out of everything with an inclination towards meats and dairy.

There is a very strong correlation with size and strength. When you gain weight, some of it will be lean and some will be adipose. This is the nature of the beast, unless you are taking your training/diet/supplements to the extreme.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Quote Originally Posted by MattJMM2 View Post
    I will go out on a limb and speculate that you started too high on your weights, progressed them too quickly and your diet is less than optimal.

Back off 20ish lbs on all weights, perfect your form/technique and begin adding the minimal weights 2.5-5lbs for your presses/power clean and 5-10lbs on your squats.

For diet, if you are trying to gain strength and mass, through caution to the wind and eat the **** out of everything with an inclination towards meats and dairy.

There is a very strong correlation with size and strength. When you gain weight, some of it will be lean and some will be adipose. This is the nature of the beast, unless you are taking your training/diet/supplements to the extreme.
    I actually started extremely low. I started it with my brother because he had never done squats or deadlifts so I started at his weight.

I was doing about 205 max on deadlifts before SS, and do 240 now and I haven't stopped progressing.

My bench went from ~140 to 165, and I'm not sure about squats...I wasn't doing full squats before this so its hard to compare. But maybe about the same gain as deadlifts.

You're right about one thing, and its diet. I get my 180 grams of protein a day but my calories arent at 3000 like I would like them to be. They are maybe at 2500, probably less.

I'm starting to take 1000 calorie shakes in the morning, and changing a bunch of other stuff like instead of a coffee, I have a powerade each day.

Wannabebig Member
    Hey guys - what am I supposed to do, if I canīt do my workout on Wednesday, but only on Monday-Tuesday-Friday? Iīd really like to follow this routine, but I guess it would result in overtraining...

Please help me!

You do what you can. If you can really only go to the gym Monday, Tuesday, Friday do that. I'd think this would go without saying it, but you don't actually have to train on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. There is nothing magical about those days of the week. Ideally, it's good to get at least one day of rest between sessions, but you work with what you have.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Romancier View Post
    Hey guys - what am I supposed to do, if I canīt do my workout on Wednesday, but only on Monday-Tuesday-Friday? Iīd really like to follow this routine, but I guess it would result in overtraining...

Please help me!

I think there would be no problem at all with that workout week schedule -

Go normal on your 2 days ( split workout a/mon b/tues ) then really turn up the intensity / weight on your friday workout. On the friday workout you could also throw in the "extra" workouts that are put in the book ( skullcrushers etc )

the 2 days of rest inbetween your "larger" session will be good for you.

Now 2 days in a row isnt easy, especially the first few workouts, since you wont be able to sit down or use stairs very well for a while - But once your body adapts to it i dont think youll have big problems with recovery - Eat enough, drink enough water / milk and you will be ok.

good luck !
    Last edited by Gadzooks; 10-10-2009 at 11:17 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    So you think, I should do Bench+Squat on Monday, Deadlift+Press on Tuesday w/o any extra exercises. What about intensity there?

So you think, I should do Bench+Squat on Monday, Deadlift+Press on Tuesday w/o any extra exercises. What about intensity there?
    No, just do the workout as written. When you start to stall then you can think about changing it up.

Intensity is easy. ADD WEIGHT TO THE BAR EVERY TIME YOU ARE IN THE GYM.

This is pretty much the simplest routine out there. There is no need to try to complicate it.

Wannabebig Member
    So that means Iīm gonna do on Monday and Tuesday the templates which are given in the SS-program. And what am I exactly doing on Friday? All compound lifts on 1 day? Basically I donīt understand, besides it seems to be not that bad, if i squat on 2 following days...

Week 1:

Monday: Workout A
    Tuesday: Workout B
    Friday: Workout A

Week 2:

Monday: Workout B
    Tuesday: Workout A
    Friday: Workout B

Repeat ad nauseam.
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 10-10-2009 at 01:40 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Okay, then itīs basically the same program, but w/o any changes due to my "problems".

Okay, then itīs basically the same program, but w/o any changes due to my "problems".
    The only problem you have is that you're over thinking things. Go lift some weight, eat some food and get strong.

Question about SS, if your replacing clean press with Rows, is it Barbell or Dumbbell Rows? Or does it matter? (I am replacing it cause my ankle might get hurt when doing the press.)