The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CainMcCloud View Post
    Question about SS, if your replacing clean press with Rows, is it Barbell or Dumbbell Rows? Or does it matter? (I am replacing it cause my ankle might get hurt when doing the press.)
    Are you replacing the Clean or the Press?

If it's the Press you are replacing, you can just do them seated to take the weight off the ankle.

If it's the Clean you are replacing, then you can do a Barbell Row or a Dumbbell row, your choice.

Are you going to be able to do the Squats and Dead lifts with a bad ankle?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Are you replacing the Clean or the Press?

If it's the Press you are replacing, you can just do them seated to take the weight off the ankle.

If it's the Clean you are replacing, then you can do a Barbell Row or a Dumbbell row, your choice.

Are you going to be able to do the Squats and Dead lifts with a bad ankle?
    I meant Clean lol, idk why I put press in there. sorry.

Yea, they don't hurt my ankle much, but the clean thing looks like it'd destroy it. I will do Barbell Rows and Dumbbell Rows, I'll mix em up every workout, so I can maybe change it up.

Thanks for help Off Road!

Quote Originally Posted by CainMcCloud View Post
    I meant Clean lol, idk why I put press in there. sorry.

Yea, they don't hurt my ankle much, but the clean thing looks like it'd destroy it. I will do Barbell Rows and Dumbbell Rows, I'll mix em up every workout, so I can maybe change it up.

Thanks for help Off Road!
    Looks like it will destroy it? Do you have a current ankle injury?

The ankle doesn't really get much stress unless you roll it somehow, which is pretty unlikely if you have the right gear.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Quote Originally Posted by MattJMM2 View Post
    Looks like it will destroy it? Do you have a current ankle injury?

The ankle doesn't really get much stress unless you roll it somehow, which is pretty unlikely if you have the right gear.
    Not exactly. Well, kinda lol. I have sprained my ankle 3x in the past 2 years, and I strained it so they sent me to PT. I don't want to hurt it anymore then it already is. I have to go back to PT in a week.

gear?

~Edit~ Also, how long did it take for some of you guys to notice results physically? I am pretty fat, and I am wondering how long it'd be before I notice fat loss/muscle growth on this, I am starting it tomorrow.
    Last edited by CainMcCloud; 10-11-2009 at 09:50 PM.

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    You can't do this workout without squats. I'm not going to suggest an alternative because there's really nothing that will give you the same benefits.
    that is a shame, but i think i am going to keep at the workout but start to do dumbbell squats with a light weight and slowly build up. i did this yesterday, with a knee strap on and there was no discomfort...so will see how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by Stars View Post
    that is a shame, but i think i am going to keep at the workout but start to do dumbbell squats with a light weight and slowly build up. i did this yesterday, with a knee strap on and there was no discomfort...so will see how it goes
    Why would DB squats be ok and not back squats? Start light with the back squat and build up the same way.
    Sarvamangalam!

I am at 225 lbs in most of the "big" lifts, my questions is, if I start SS, will I get more results faster compared to doing my "routine" over the months? If that's the case, I want to get bigger faster :P

Will I get bigger biceps, triceps, and a Thick back from just doing the exercises in SS?

Thanks
    -█--------█- Squat: 285 x 3
    ......\☻/...... Bench Press: 235 x 3 (stuck there)
    ........▌....... Skull Crusher: 110lbs ez bar
    ......./ \......Standing Shoulder Press: 115lbs (barbell)

"I am always doing things I can't do, that's how I get to do them." Pablo Picasso

I don't know if anyone is interested *tumble weed blows past* But I finally got over my 205 plateau. I basically relaxed my diet - ate plenty of meat, eggs fruits and veg, some starch and upped my whole milk intake (basically the food outlined in the book). Didn't actually count calories and I just hit a two plate squat today.

I suppose if I wasnt such a pussy i'd keep it up, but im not really ready to hit some kinda flabby/strong/muscular cocoon just yet so ill go back to my 3.5k diet next week and see what happens, I guess I just needed to give myslef a bit of a kick up the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumexicano View Post
    I am at 225 lbs in most of the "big" lifts, my questions is, if I start SS, will I get more results faster compared to doing my "routine" over the months? If that's the case, I want to get bigger faster :P

Will I get bigger biceps, triceps, and a Thick back from just doing the exercises in SS?

Thanks

Yes, my squat went from 225lbs on July 15 to 290lbs on October 9.

You will get huge, if you eat plenty.

Question to just about anyone on here:

How much on squats can you gain in a week? Like are you supposed to be able to go from 185 on squat, to 190 (for the 3 sets of 5 reps) from Monday to Wednesday?

Able to is not the correct thinking. You want to! The whole basis of SS is large compound excersizes and a steady progression. If you hit all the reps on Mon you have to challenge yourself to go up on Wed that is why the program starts off easy and gets hard very quickly! If you can go up five go up five,if you can only go up 2.5 go up 2.5! As you keep going you may only go up a pound at a time but you have to progress!
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

I havnt really been getting that sore at all from doing SS and feel like its not doing much am i doing something wrong. Ive done 3 weeks of SS adding exactly 5 pounds on everything every time. I hanvt had a deload yet but could someone fill me in if im doing something wrong or anything.

How long does your workout take? What are your warmup sets and weights? What are your working set weights? How did you determine your starting weights? Are you challenging yourself weight wise? I am no expert but I am 8 weeks in on SS,when I finish my last set of Deads or Powercleans I am sweating like a slave and usually want to go lay down(I did lay on bench for about two min after my last dead set Fri)! I also started out pretty light but I added 10lbs a session on squats and deads! Also if you had been working out previously you may not get super sore,I work hard and don't get much "pain",I just get a tight feeling and a little discomfort!
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Wannabebig New Member
    Hi all,

Is there an acceptable alternative to getting the barbell on my shoulders for the squat?.. i was using my Smith3000 btu i am trying to get away from it, and its hard to get 100+ lbs behind my head without a squat rack or something... will this exercise work holding the weights waist high, or even chest? Dont make fun, i am still new.

Quote Originally Posted by skinny99 View Post
    How long does your workout take? What are your warmup sets and weights? What are your working set weights? How did you determine your starting weights? Are you challenging yourself weight wise? I am no expert but I am 8 weeks in on SS,when I finish my last set of Deads or Powercleans I am sweating like a slave and usually want to go lay down(I did lay on bench for about two min after my last dead set Fri)! I also started out pretty light but I added 10lbs a session on squats and deads! Also if you had been working out previously you may not get super sore,I work hard and don't get much "pain",I just get a tight feeling and a little discomfort!
    My workout takes about 45+ mins. I actually havnt been doing any workout sets. My working sets are: Squat-145 Overhead Press-85 Bench-130 Deadlift-150 Powerclean-120 and I weigh 150. I determined my starting weight by whatever felt comfortable and something not that heavy because i wanted to get the hang of the workouts. I feel like i have been challenging myself but i guess not enough. I also rest in between each set.

I actually havnt been doing any workout sets.

Does this mean warmup sets? If so there is the problem! Your working weight looks pretty close to me. I am no expert though.

Quote Originally Posted by smithgary View Post
    Hi all,

Is there an acceptable alternative to getting the barbell on my shoulders for the squat?.. i was using my Smith3000 btu i am trying to get away from it, and its hard to get 100+ lbs behind my head without a squat rack or something... will this exercise work holding the weights waist high, or even chest? Dont make fun, i am still new.
    Squat belt! It is not the same but may be a substitute!
    http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/109836

Not that I don't believe the SS effectiveness, but are there any pictures of people that got big on that method? I want to start SS next year, after I see how far I can get with what I am doing right now. So far is so good, but I want Starting strength to push myself with squats
    -█--------█- Squat: 285 x 3
    ......\☻/...... Bench Press: 235 x 3 (stuck there)
    ........▌....... Skull Crusher: 110lbs ez bar
    ......./ \......Standing Shoulder Press: 115lbs (barbell)

"I am always doing things I can't do, that's how I get to do them." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by skinny99 View Post
    I actually havnt been doing any workout sets.

Does this mean warmup sets? If so there is the problem! Your working weight looks pretty close to me. I am no expert though.
    oops yea i meant warmup sets for the warmup sets am i supposed to do light weight on all the workouts i will be doing that day or am i supposed to do something different

Quote Originally Posted by DLgain09 View Post
    oops yea i meant warmup sets for the warmup sets am i supposed to do light weight on all the workouts i will be doing that day or am i supposed to do something different

Yeah the warmups in SS are very important in my opinion! The first few sessions I did without warming up properly. I felt like the workout was very not very taxing at all. Then I did the proper warmups with very little rest in between WU sets and now I understood. You "should" follow the WU shown Here http://www.scribd.com/doc/3382978/St...ook-Calculator
    You will have to download it for it to work correctly.

They are setup for each working set weight. If you do them you will prob be able to lift heavier actually as they build up the weight for you. IMO very important. Do the work,Baby!
    Last edited by skinny99; 10-26-2009 at 05:46 PM.

k thanks man

does SS not work inless you do the warm ups

Wannabebig Member
    Can one alternate between dumbbell and barbell bench press in SS. The reason I'm asking is because my left side seems to be holding me back in BB Benchpress. Would dumbels get my left and right more equal?

Hope this makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by DLgain09 View Post
    does SS not work inless you do the warm ups
    It will work, but it will also increase your chance of injury. You can get away with it when the weights are relatively light, but once they start to get heavier it will cause an issue. Warm up properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Korpsie View Post
    Can one alternate between dumbbell and barbell bench press in SS. The reason I'm asking is because my left side seems to be holding me back in BB Benchpress. Would dumbels get my left and right more equal?

Hope this makes sense.
    That would be fine. The only issue with changing exercises is keeping track of your progress -- DB bench doesn't map on easily to BB bench. If you alternate every session and keep track of BB bench compared to BB bench and DB bench compared to DB bench, you'll be fine.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by dadan View Post
    anyone please help me...Would it be ok to on off days practise form on squats, deadlifts and power cleans with just an empty bar?

Prob be ok to use the bar! I bought a piece of PVC and some caps filled it with a little bit of sand and a lot of newspaper (weighs about 12#) I use it to stretch on my off days and also to practise my Squat,OHP and Powerclean form! I don't lift at home,but I keep the PVC in my living room and practise while I am watching TV. The stretching is prob more benificial to me than anything else!