Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength

Use a PVC pipe or broom stick. While youre at it dont forget to foam roll and stretch.
    Sarvamangalam!

I'm pretty worn out from the Squats, OH Presses and Rows once I've gotten to Pull-ups and I don't execute the Pull-ups as well as I normally would. I can normally do 10 pull-ups but when I train I've only been able to get 6 reps (1st set), 3-4 reps (2nd set) and approx. 3 reps on the last set.

Anyone else experience something similar? If so, how have you combated the situation?
    Remember: whether you think you can or you can't, you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungNoble View Post
    I'm pretty worn out from the Squats, OH Presses and Rows once I've gotten to Pull-ups and I don't execute the Pull-ups as well as I normally would. I can normally do 10 pull-ups but when I train I've only been able to get 6 reps (1st set), 3-4 reps (2nd set) and approx. 3 reps on the last set.

Anyone else experience something similar? If so, how have you combated the situation?
    On my post about a modified SS you told me not to modify the program, yet you are doing it now?

Whats up with that? Maybe you should follow your own advice.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Quote Originally Posted by YoungNoble View Post

Yes. Get better at pull ups.

You might want to throw in a few more sets for some more volume. Aim to do, say, 25 pullups, regardless of how many sets it takes you.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

After Starting Strength,

What is YOUR opinion--Would it be better to go to Texas Method, Madcow Linear, to continue to focus on strength, a powerbuilding approach (more accessory work, higher rep ranges, but still lower reps for strength mixed in), or a sole hypertrophy focus? And why?

Obviously these are all suitable choices following SS as far as programming and it will depend on goals, just wanted to hear your thoughts/opinions/reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by MJR View Post
    After Starting Strength,

What is YOUR opinion--Would it be better to go to Texas Method, Madcow Linear, to continue to focus on strength, a powerbuilding approach (more accessory work, higher rep ranges, but still lower reps for strength mixed in), or a sole hypertrophy focus? And why?

Obviously these are all suitable choices following SS as far as programming and it will depend on goals, just wanted to hear your thoughts/opinions/reasoning.
    Texas Method is the next step in progression. Then Bill Starr's Madcow.

Read the Texas Method Sticky, its pretty specific about all of this.
    Sarvamangalam!

Just for clarification, the Madcow program is Madcow's (poster from Elite Fitness & BB.com) take on Bill Starr's 5x5 program, not something from Starr. His original 5x5 program can be found in 'The Strongest Shall Survive'.
    Last edited by Auburn; 12-05-2009 at 05:02 PM.

Good call
    Sarvamangalam!

Look at these guns!
    Hey, I'm just starting weight lifting for the school wrestling team, and I want to know what I should be doing at 87 pounds. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    *.*.*.Larry

Dirty deeds!!! Done dirt cheap!!! (AC/DC)

Quote Originally Posted by demon stare7 View Post
    Hey, I'm just starting weight lifting for the school wrestling team, and I want to know what I should be doing at 87 pounds. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Eating a lot of good food and lifting heavy weights.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hey im interested in body building been leifting for almost a year and i want to build a strong base so im adopting the ss routine. Is starting Strength a good move for a begginer bodybuilder?

Yes.

Banned
    How long is the workout supposed to last on your first attempt. Because the lifts don't look like they would take very long to do.

Banned
    I have been doing workout A for a few days and im liking it alot but i have no idea what the last 2 on workout B are? Does anyone have a video or a way to explain on how to do these thanks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaine Masters View Post
    How long is the workout supposed to last on your first attempt. Because the lifts don't look like they would take very long to do.
    your supposed to cycle like bench to squat to deadlift then back and forth. It takes a good 30 minutes. Trust me dont try to do anything eles after you did these beacuse if your doing them right you wouldnt want to do anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parker View Post
    your supposed to cycle like bench to squat to deadlift then back and forth. It takes a good 30 minutes.
    Wrong. You do all your squats, then all your bench, and finish with all your deadlifts.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Wrong. You do all your squats, then all your bench, and finish with all your deadlifts.
    Second that. This is correct.

Once you begin moving personal record breaking weights, the rest time required between the sets dramatically lengthens the work out.

You are to rest as much as needed to get all 3 sets done across. This can range from 2-8 minutes, or even longer if need be.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    oh someone at the gym told me to cycle should i?

M/W/F
    A/B/A

M/W/F
    B/A/B

etc...
    Sarvamangalam!

Banned
    Just curious why Texas Method is recommended after Starting Strength over the Madcow 5x5. Both are intermediate programs using weekly progression, it would seem to me either one would be acceptable.

Simply put, Texas Method is a less complex version of Madcow... or Madcow is a more complex version of Texas Method. And in the spirit of efficient strength progression, only use the complexity your body necessitates.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 01-02-2010 at 04:33 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Banned
    How is one more complex than the other? I'm not trying to argue or trying to say you are wrong, I'm just not quite sure I follow you and was hoping you could elaborate for me.

Wannabebig Member
    What is the best/quickest way to warm up and stretch before attempting this?

Squat 3x5
    Bench Press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    How is one more complex than the other? I'm not trying to argue or trying to say you are wrong, I'm just not quite sure I follow you and was hoping you could elaborate for me.
    Madcow is basically Texas Method, but with more precise percentages, drop sets, and strength sets ramping rather than across allowing for continued progression once sets across become too heavy for the trainee to recover from.
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    hey guys this may sound stupid but can I alternate the powerclean with some other kind of lift/excercise which is easier to do?