Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Starting Strength

"Easier" is a horrible reason not to clean.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by in flames View Post
    hey guys this may sound stupid but can I alternate the powerclean with some other kind of lift/excercise which is easier to do?
    Why do you a physical limitation? If not just do them. They are awkward and suck at first but are so beneficial.
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Banned
    I weigh 9 and a half stone, so almost 140 pounds or so if you're american. What weight shall i start with on all of the workouts?

Also, what foods shall i eat while doing so. I'm fairly skinny.

So you guys are doing Deadlifts twice a week every other week? isn't that a lil much? Rippetoe says on page 300 that workout 'a' alternates between the Clean and DL, and workout 'b' is just back extensions...

Wannabebig Member
    Aslin it depends which version SS...the beginners version calls for alternating dL on day A with cleans on day B...

Wannabebig Member
    I have a DOMS related-question. I have been in and out of weight lifting for the past 5 years after going hard at it for 8-9 years straight. Rather than go with some of the routines I have done in the past, I thought something like this would be a good re-boot. I have surprisingly very good form still on all these exercises (thank my relentless h.s. football coaches for that haha).

The problem I have is that no matter what my caloric intake, macros, sleep, rest patterns etc are I get moderate to severe DOMS for the first couple weeks of lifting after a long spell off. With routines I've done in the past I could work it out and vary lifts, but SS seems to be a different animal. What I will most likely do is my own limited reps/sets for the first couple weeks of each of these exercises to get over the hump, but I am curious to any other suggestions by people here.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiverz View Post
    I have a DOMS related-question. I have been in and out of weight lifting for the past 5 years after going hard at it for 8-9 years straight. Rather than go with some of the routines I have done in the past, I thought something like this would be a good re-boot. I have surprisingly very good form still on all these exercises (thank my relentless h.s. football coaches for that haha).

The problem I have is that no matter what my caloric intake, macros, sleep, rest patterns etc are I get moderate to severe DOMS for the first couple weeks of lifting after a long spell off. With routines I've done in the past I could work it out and vary lifts, but SS seems to be a different animal. What I will most likely do is my own limited reps/sets for the first couple weeks of each of these exercises to get over the hump, but I am curious to any other suggestions by people here.
    Just start at a realistic weight and work through the pain. It will go away!
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Agreed. Just do the workout as prescribed and you'll be over the DOMS in a couple of weeks.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Wannabebig Member
    When substituting barbell rows for the power cleans, should I maintain 5X3 sets, or do I go up to 3X5?

Quote Originally Posted by aterry View Post
    When substituting barbell rows for the power cleans, should I maintain 5X3 sets, or do I go up to 3X5?
    Go back to 3X5. Although PC's suck they are a fun movement that I really like,I would do them if possible.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny99 View Post
    Go back to 3X5. Although PC's suck they are a fun movement that I really like,I would do them if possible.
    I definitely liked doing power cleans. Unfortunately, I injured my rotator cuff back in August and the power clean motion is too painful to do. Instead of risking reinjuring it again, I feel I need to do barbell rows instead.
    Last edited by aterry; 03-22-2010 at 10:31 AM.

Thanks for posting these.

Clearly I have a lot of catching up to do.

The squat video is especially informative (to me).

I'll be getting the book and dvd shortly.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Wannabebig Member
    I've been doing SS for about two months (well, to be precise I do the modified version where power cleans have been replaced by rows, simply because I didn't have anyone to teach me the cleans when I started). It has been great, but today my lower back felt terrible, and I got a bit concerned. Let me give you some background info...

Last session, two days ago, I tried to squat at a new weight (100kg), I could only do 5/4/3 and I was super tired afterwards (not a great day). It was DL day too, and I did a personal best there afterwards (100 kg too), even though I was really fatigued. I suspect though that my form was not the best. The first thing to 'breakdown' for me on the DL when I get tired is always that my back starts rounding a little. Both the upper and the lower part. I'm not very flexible, and I struggle with keeping my back arched at the bottom of the lift.

So anways, today I was gonna squat 100kg again, but I could feel allready at the warm up that my lower back was really tired. It wasn't actually a problem while lifting though, so I completed the exercise and managed to do all the reps. But afterwards I felt like I should lie down and rest my lower back; it didn't feel tired in a 'good way'. I completed the presses after this, but decide to skip the rows because in my experience they hit the lower back pretty hard too.

Do you guys think this is a form issue? Or do I just need rest?

I was thinking I should probably reset my DL so that I can do them with perfect form. But another issue is that I think I could probably do the DLs with good form if I wasn't so tired from the squats. I've seen people modify SS so that they do light squats/front squats on wednesday, and also move the DLs to this day, so I was considering that too. But two months in is maybe a bit early for that?

I should probably also mention that it is quite common for me to really feel it in the lower back after the workouts (both A and B), but I always just considered this to be part of the deal. It has never been extreme like today though, and I have always been able to recover untill the next wo.

Thanks in advance for any advice