Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength

1000 calories over maintenance will give you huge size and strength gains, but it will also come along with a lot of fat. Each pound of fat has about 3500 calories and each pound of muscle has less, co if you're eating 1000 calories over maintenance every day you will gain between 15-20lbs in two months. If you're not concerned about gaining fat, go for it. If you want to stay a little leaner, I'd recommend cutting you diet back to about 500 calories above maintenance.

As a complete beginner, fat gain can probably be minimized with a 1000 calorie above maintenance diet if you train really hard and throw in some conditioning work (ie: HIIT) 2-3 times a week.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Wannabebig Member
    ok. But what is Hiit?

Wannabebig Member
    Still waiting for my book...
    A few questions.

When I benchpress and Standing Military Press. Should I lock out my arms breifly at the top before descending? Or does it not matter.

Also with Squats - I am doing parellal squats and moving a fair bit of weight. I can do below parelal but I think I will have to reduce the weights to make 3 sets of 5. Should I do this or just do paralel with the heavier weights?
    Also any hints as to how you know if your getting low enough. I filmed some from the side on a camera and I felt like I was going a lot lower than I actually was. Can I put something below my butt that I will feel when Im low enough (preferably not sharp)

Also can someone post a link to "Bent Rows" giving detailed instructions on performance. I googled some but they all vary some in the details.

Full ROM, so lock out your arms, but make sure not to roll your shoulders forward, especially on the bench. Your shoulder blades should be pulled back throughout the entire movement on the bench.

You likely won't be able to do as much weight with a below parallel squat. Whether you should drop the weight and go lower, or use a heavier weight at parallel really depends on your goals. If you're planning to compete, stop at parallel. If you just want to get big and strong and develop useable strength, squat as low as you can with good form. I wouldn't recommend using a box to learn proper depth, but others would. Personally, I think it will just be a crutch - you should learn how to squat low enough without an aid. Video is a good way to check your depth.

Bent over rows: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ntOverRow.html

To BizBob - I'd cut the cardio in 1/2 so you're still doing some, but you'd have to eat quite a bit more to make up for all the extra cardio you're doing.

Great Sticky - Jorge.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Wannabebig Member
    My goals is to get big and strong so I guess I;ll be doing below parelal. Im still a little dicy on my form though, can you post a link to a youtube video of someone doing a GOOD form squat (below parelal) that I can use for reference? Thanks. By the way thanks for this thread, it rocks.

For this:

Workout A (sets x reps):
    Squat 3x5
    Bench Press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

Workout B (sets x reps):
    Squat 3x5
    Standing Barbell Overhead Press 3x5
    Powerclean 5x3

If I can't rep the olympic bar for Standing Overhead Press can I replace them with db's?
    Last edited by SuperTerrorizer; 05-27-2009 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    My goals is to get big and strong so I guess I;ll be doing below parelal. Im still a little dicy on my form though, can you post a link to a youtube video of someone doing a GOOD form squat (below parelal) that I can use for reference? Thanks. By the way thanks for this thread, it rocks.
    Check out Sensei's SquatRX series for tons of useful squat form info: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=100067

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTerrorizer View Post
    For this:

Workout A (sets x reps):
    Squat 3x5
    Bench Press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

Workout B (sets x reps):
    Squat 3x5
    Standing Barbell Overhead Press 3x5
    Powerclean 5x3

If I can't rep the olympic bar for Standing Overhead Press can I replace them with db's?
    That would be an acceptable substitute. The only problem is that you will only be able to make 10lb increases with dumbbells.

Is your problem with the barbell a result of strength or flexibility/pain issues?
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 05-27-2009 at 07:31 AM.

Strength issue. I don't think I'll be able to do it. I will of course try though. Will be starting this routine next week. Gonna give my body a week to completely recover from my previous split. Start this next Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTerrorizer View Post
    Strength issue. I don't think I'll be able to do it. I will of course try though. Will be starting this routine next week. Gonna give my body a week to completely recover from my previous split. Start this next Thursday.
    You should be able to progress very quickly, especially at 225. Even if you can't OHP the bar for 5x3, you should be able to do it after a week or two on the routine.

I know I could powerclean an olympic bar so it's really just the military press holding me back. But hopefully I'll be able to do it for 3 reps for 5 sets. This looks like a fun routine. The 3x squating a week is gonna be brutal but that's where all fun lies in right? I don't workout for enjoyment... I do it for results.

Will my arms get bigger if I do the entire Workout, for example, A and then do some pullups or dips? Or will they get bigger if I only do workout A?
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 206
    Bench:264 Squat:320 Dead:355
    Bodyfat: 21%

Wannabebig Member
    this is excellent, cheers very much, i have been waiting for something like this, cheers Brian!

Wannabebig New Member
    Good!

Wannabebig Member
    I dont use shoes for these exercises (I train at home) Should I?

Quote Originally Posted by pablonba View Post
    Will my arms get bigger if I do the entire Workout, for example, A and then do some pullups or dips? Or will they get bigger if I only do workout A?
    Adding dips and pull ups would be fine. Your arms will get bigger either way, as long as you are eating enough.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    I dont use shoes for these exercises (I train at home) Should I?
    It would suck if you dropped a weight on your toe. You don't want to wear something with a soft sole (ie. most running shoes) when you're doing most of these lifts. Something with a thin, flat sole (ie. Chuck Taylors) or Olympic lifting shoes would be ideal. Failing that, barefoot is fine.

Wannabebig Member
    What muscle are you particularly supposed to hit hard for each of the exercises in SS? Is this correct v

Benchpress - Pecs
    Shoulder press - Deltoids
    Chin ups - Biceps
    Bent Rows - Upper back, triceps (?)
    Deadlifts - Lower back
    Squats - Glutes, Quads

The exercises in SS were chosen specifically because each exercise works so much of your body, not just one or two muscles. It's more productive to think in terms of movements, rather than body parts, and SS replicates most of the major movements you perform out of the gym. It's hard to think of a day to day movement where your strength wouldn't be improved by performing the exercises in SS, and that's why they are the staple of any good routine, not just SS.

Your muscle break down is pretty close. Chin ups also work your upper back; bent rows work your biceps, not triceps; and squats, depending how they're performed, can place a greater load on your posterior chain than on your quads. But again, each exercise hits so much more than what you have listed.

Wannabebig Member
    Couple more questions (hope they're not dumb)

- Chin ups - I start from a slightly bent elbow position then pull up then return to slightly bent elbow position then pullup etc. I dont let my arms lock out completely and just hang between reps, which obviously would make the excercise much harder because your starting from a dead weight. What does everyone else do and what should I be doing?

Deadhang. Unless there's a specific reason to be training a partial range of motion (and if you're using this routine, there's not a good reason), full ROM is always preferable.

For all of you who do not yet own a copy of Starting Strength, it is now available through AtLarge Nutrition, WBB's sister site.

Good work Jorge, this should be pretty helpful to a lot of people.

Hey Jorge. I noticed your actually running SS right now as well and had a question for you. Do you have like a rule of thumb as to weather or not to move up in weight the next session? Ive read some where that if you miss 3 reps total you should repeat the same weight but if you miss less then 3 reps to increase the weight next session. For example Bench your reps go 5,4,3 so you missed 3 reps and would repeat the same weight but if you went 5,5,4 or 5,4,4 you increase the weight again next session. Do you do this? Or use a different rule of thumb? Or do you stay at the same weight till you hit all the reps?
    Confidence ... Its The Food Of The Wise Man ... But The Liquor Of The Fools.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdonough9395 View Post
    Hey Jorge. I noticed your actually running SS right now as well and had a question for you. Do you have like a rule of thumb as to weather or not to move up in weight the next session? Ive read some where that if you miss 3 reps total you should repeat the same weight but if you miss less then 3 reps to increase the weight next session. For example Bench your reps go 5,4,3 so you missed 3 reps and would repeat the same weight but if you went 5,5,4 or 5,4,4 you increase the weight again next session. Do you do this? Or use a different rule of thumb? Or do you stay at the same weight till you hit all the reps?
    Im sure Jorge will chime in here, but it is to my understanding that you don't increase until you can hit all your reps. That's what I have been doing, and it works good.

It just seems silly to me to go 5,5,4 and then increase the weight and then the next workout you go heavier and can only hit 5,4,3 and then next time 4,3,2 and so on....