Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength

Well the simple answer is to hit all your reps. You shouldn't really make any contingency plans because that is the goal of the routine. Realistically, there's going to come a point where you aren't going to be able to hit all your reps.

I would say, if you miss even one rep, do the same weight next workout. If you're not able to hit all your reps the next workout (or at the very least improve the number of reps you hit) take a look at your diet and drop 20lbs from the lift and work your way back up. If, after the deload, you still can't move passed the weight you were stuck at, it's time to try something other than SS (assuming your diet is in order).
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Wannabebig Member
    Would it be ok to on off days practise form on squats, deadlifts and power cleans with just an empty bar?

A PVC pipe or a wooden dowel-- but its not necessary. It would probably be good to help reduce DOMS and help with your mobility.
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    Whats DOMS?

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    Whats DOMS?
    Google is your friend here. From wikipedia:
    Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS), also sometimes called muscle fever, is the pain or discomfort often felt 24 to 72 hours after exercising and subsides generally within 2 to 3 days. It is commonly thought to be caused by increased lactate concentrations; however, high lactate concentrations from exercise typically subside in the body within an hour, so it can not explain pain experienced days after exercise.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed...uscle_soreness

Wannabebig Member
    Is there a reason Mark says drink a gallon of milk a day (this is four litres right?) must it be milk for some reason or can you just use other means to get your calories higher?

I for example have a maintainence of around 2000 calories and eat at the moment 3000 calories. Do I need the milk on top of that and if so will it not turn me into a fat bas***d?
    Last edited by dolphin; 06-10-2009 at 06:29 AM.

Milk has a good balance of macronutrients to help you grow and it's an easy way to get extra calories. If you're gaining otherwise, it's certainly not necessary. If you're already 1000 calories over maintenance, I wouldn't add a gallon of milk on top of that.

When you are doing the standing military press... are your feet supposed to be parallel? Or should you put one leg out in front of the other?

Your feet should be side by side.

Wannabebig Member
    Is there a specific stretching routine laid out for SS? (still waiting on the book) It is recomended to do some stretching just after the workouts. Squat RX vids have some good ones but just wondering if there is a routine specifically for SS.

There isn't a stretching routine specifically for SS. I use a mobility routine that is based around DeFranco's mobile 8, or whatever the hell he calls it. I can't find the link right now, but I'll post it when I get home. I generally do that routine and some foam rolling every night before bed in about a half hour.

Wannabebig Member
    Great routine!

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    The exercises in SS were chosen specifically because each exercise works so much of your body, not just one or two muscles. It's more productive to think in terms of movements, rather than body parts, and SS replicates most of the major movements you perform out of the gym. It's hard to think of a day to day movement where your strength wouldn't be improved by performing the exercises in SS, and that's why they are the staple of any good routine, not just SS.

Your muscle break down is pretty close. Chin ups also work your upper back; bent rows work your biceps, not triceps; and squats, depending how they're performed, can place a greater load on your posterior chain than on your quads. But again, each exercise hits so much more than what you have listed.
    what if you had the time to do each muscle individually. wouldnt it be beneficial if your going for size? i find it hard to imagine getting bigger arms without doing curls and tricep pull downs or something.
    Yes i am a beast and i need to be tranquilized
    Yes i am a beast and to me you are just ankle high

If you feel like you need direct arm work (some people do, some people don't) you can add a couple of sets of isolation work to the end of the workout. You will grow a lot quicker with this routine than spending a day focusing on your arms (assuming calories are sufficient).

Wannabebig Member
    Is there an acceptable alternative to getting the barbell on my shoulders for the squat?.. i was using my Smith3000 btu i am trying to get away from it, and its hard to get 100+ lbs behind my head without a squat rack or something... will this exercise work holding the weights waist high, or even chest? Dont make fun, i am still new.

If you don't have a squat rack, you can not do SS. This program revolves around the squat.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Wannabebig Member
    Humm, i need to get past this, my bench has improved ! I may have to do the squat on my Smith until i can come up with a squat rack..

In the interim, you can clean the weight and front squat. But bri is right, you really need a squat rack.

Wannabebig Member
    Idk, ill figure something out..

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    lex luther, you can try doing this (the zercher squat): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwUSy...om=PL&index=22. Skip to 1:50 Do the variation where he deadlifts the weight off the floor first, then wraps his arms around the bar. You cannot do SS without a squat rack, but zercher squats complete with deadlifts are a far better bet than the smith machine IMO.

edit: you may do the second variation instead which is a full zercher off the floor, but the first variation is probably your best bet because it is safer - less back rounding.
    Last edited by AJ_H; 06-15-2009 at 03:42 PM.
    Stats: Bodyweight : Current= 150 lbs, Height = 5ft11.5

Bench Press:160 lbs/Squat:225 lbs,/Deadlift:305/Total:675lbs/

Not strong yet, but getting there.

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=116786

Wannabebig Member
    I've reached two sets of 8 for the chinups. Should I increase the sets, reps or start adding weight. If adding weight is there some way I could rig up my own belt? And what weight increments should I use?

Personally, I find I respond better to more volume for pull ups but you might need to experiment to find what works best for you, but you need to apply the principle of progressive overload, either through more volume (sets and/or reps) and/or more weight. If you want to try adding weight, you can buy weight belts online. I'm sure you can also think of some way to rig one up on your own.
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 06-16-2009 at 07:25 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Couple of questions...

That stretching routine looks good, but it says on there to do it before your workout, whereas Mark Rip says to do stretching after. Which is best?

Also... I havent the book yet but I see there is a few different 'flavours' of the routine. The original being -
    Workout A - Squats, Bench, Dead.
    Workout B - Squat, Press, Cleans

Im very happy with this program but just wondering about Chinups... I know they are in the other 'flavours' but in the others the deadlifts and cleans arent done as often. Can I put chinup on the end of Workout B? (baring in mind I dont want to undermine the routine)

Yes, you can add chin ups or switch to one of the other variations - they're all good.

The stretching routine I posted is almost entirely dynamic, which is fine pre-workout. You can do it post workout if you like. I actually do it completely removed from my workout.