Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ_H View Post
    lex luther, you can try doing this (the zercher squat): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwUSy...om=PL&index=22. Skip to 1:50 Do the variation where he deadlifts the weight off the floor first, then wraps his arms around the bar. You cannot do SS without a squat rack, but zercher squats complete with deadlifts are a far better bet than the smith machine IMO.

edit: you may do the second variation instead which is a full zercher off the floor, but the first variation is probably your best bet because it is safer - less back rounding.
    Thanks ill check it out! This 'Powerclean' excercise is different kinda tricky, never done those before..

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    Just saw this thread. Yay! Excellent job, jorge. This should have been done a long time ago. Glad someone saw the need for it and stepped up. Cheers!
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lexluther1 View Post
    Thanks ill check it out! This 'Powerclean' excercise is different kinda tricky, never done those before..
    Yeah, the power clean is "kinda tricky" especially if you haven't ever done any of the explosive lifts or their variations before. Start very light at first because it's all about learning the technique. I used just the bar for hang cleans for a couple days at first.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

I'm just starting to lift and I have already done a few days on the WB 1.1 routine. Really I am looking to increase my strength and wouldn't mind getting bigger as well.

Which routine do you think I should follow? The WB 1.1 or the SS routine? I'm down for which ever.

Thanks,

Jake

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by depotman View Post
    I'm just starting to lift and I have already done a few days on the WB 1.1 routine. Really I am looking to increase my strength and wouldn't mind getting bigger as well.

Which routine do you think I should follow? The WB 1.1 or the SS routine? I'm down for which ever.

Thanks,

Jake
    They are both great routines and with enough effort you will get stronger on both routines. Bigger will depend on your diet. Just make sure to be consistent with whatever routine (premade) you do and follow it as stated.

Wannabebig Member
    I just started the SS program yesterday and ordered the book but it won't come in for another week. As far as cardio is concerned, should I be doing more HIIT instead of endurance running, and should I do them only on my off days or what?

Does the book Starting Strength get specific about the kind of diet you should be having, such as when to eat, tips on what kinds of food to eat, etc?

Wannabebig Member
    Well so far so good, i am noticing some gains, but i had been avoiding part of the program, ie squat and powerclean, and i know those 2 are prolly the most important, so today i hit em, or should i say i hit the powerclean, and they wernt as bad as i thought they would be, until i got a 'butt' cramp.... ohh man that hurt, in my very upper, rear theigh, and lower buttock, so i took a break and walked it off, and after about 10 minutes i was fine so i hit it again and got a hint the otherside was ready to go on strike to, so i stopped, needless to say i didnt squat. i still consider that a victory.

Quote Originally Posted by aterry View Post
    I just started the SS program yesterday and ordered the book but it won't come in for another week. As far as cardio is concerned, should I be doing more HIIT instead of endurance running, and should I do them only on my off days or what?

Does the book Starting Strength get specific about the kind of diet you should be having, such as when to eat, tips on what kinds of food to eat, etc?
    HIIT is better than steady state cardio. You should do it whenever you can fit it in. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter too much, as long as you aren't doing it right before you lift.

SS doesn't get into much (any? I forget, it's been a while since I read it) detail about diet. There's lots of info in the diet and nutrition forum here. I suggest starting with a thread titled what a body builder eats. If you're trying to gain weight a popular recommendation for this program is to drink a gallon of whole milk on top of your regular diet every day.

Quote Originally Posted by lexluther1 View Post
    Well so far so good, i am noticing some gains, but i had been avoiding part of the program, ie squat and powerclean, and i know those 2 are prolly the most important, so today i hit em, or should i say i hit the powerclean, and they wernt as bad as i thought they would be, until i got a 'butt' cramp.... ohh man that hurt, in my very upper, rear theigh, and lower buttock, so i took a break and walked it off, and after about 10 minutes i was fine so i hit it again and got a hint the otherside was ready to go on strike to, so i stopped, needless to say i didnt squat. i still consider that a victory.
    Squats really are the cornerstone of this routine. If you're not doing them, you're selling yourself short.

Honestly, stop making excuses and just do it.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Banned
    There will be a must read

Wannabebig Member
    I'm changing up my routine and am going to Starting Strength next week. I've never squat and deadlifted (heavily) on the same day before. This is going to suck doing deads after my legs are fried from squats.

It's really not that bad, atleast for me. Also deads are not done with heavy sets / reps on this program. The working set is only 5 reps.

I think it also ensures you are getting all the muscle fibers in each muscle being used in both lifts into hypertrophy.

I have to say this is the best workout I have tried as it really maximizes your time in the gym with all its compond movements.

Current rank: Toothpick StartingAt33's Avatar
    Is there a good reason why I should take a two day break every week? Instead of 3 workouts each week, would it be ok if I did 3.5 workouts? (meaning, 3 workouts on even weeks and 4 workouts on odd weeks)

For example:

Week 1:
    Mon A
    Tue Off
    Wed B
    Thu Off
    Fri A
    Sat Off
    Sun B

Week 2:
    Mon Off
    Tue A
    Wed Off
    Thu B
    Fri Off
    Sat A
    Sun Off

Week 3:
    Mon B
    Tue Off
    Wed A
    Thu Off
    Fri B
    Sat Off
    Sun A

Week 4:
    Mon Off
    Tue B
    Wed Off
    Thu A
    Fri Off
    Sat B
    Sun Off

Do I risk overtraining if I do this?

Why mess with it?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Current rank: Toothpick StartingAt33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Why mess with it?
    If muscles need only 48 hours to recover, adding 2 extra workouts a month seems logical to me. I really just want to know why weekends off is necessary. Is it to include an active lifestyle, such as sports? Is it because some parts of the body need more recovery time thus needing the extra recovery day each week?

Nothing wrong with asking why.

Quote Originally Posted by StartingAt33 View Post
    Is there a good reason why I should take a two day break every week? Instead of 3 workouts each week, would it be ok if I did 3.5 workouts? (meaning, 3 workouts on even weeks and 4 workouts on odd weeks)

For example:

Week 1:
    Mon A
    Tue Off
    Wed B
    Thu Off
    Fri A
    Sat Off
    Sun B

Week 2:
    Mon Off
    Tue A
    Wed Off
    Thu B
    Fri Off
    Sat A
    Sun Off

Week 3:
    Mon B
    Tue Off
    Wed A
    Thu Off
    Fri B
    Sat Off
    Sun A

Week 4:
    Mon Off
    Tue B
    Wed Off
    Thu A
    Fri Off
    Sat B
    Sun Off

Do I risk overtraining if I do this?
    That's fine. 3 times a week fits into most people's schedules and that is why it's recommended. If you'd like to go every other day, there's nothing wrong with that, just be aware that you will have less time to recover. When things start to stall, try taking the extra day.
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 06-30-2009 at 03:19 PM.

My 2 cents on that would be a big NO. This will set you up for failure and you will plateau more often and each time the plateau will be harder to break because you wont be able to recover. You have ton consider that while SS is an novice setup there is a certain mount of tonnage your body can deal with. Id try it as suggested first before messing with it.

More lifting does not = better results
    Sarvamangalam!

I see where you're coming from, Zen, and personally I'd agree with you. But the man himself says it's OK so who am I to argue with the guy who came up with the program?

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    I see where you're coming from, Zen, and personally I'd agree with you. But the man himself says it's OK so who am I to argue with the guy who came up with the program?
    I did not realize he said that. That seems counter intuitive when you take into account everything else he says. I know when I was using SS I needed the entire weekend.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 06-30-2009 at 03:42 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

I think it's fine, provided you're eating enough. You can always take an extra day off whenever you feel you need it.

Wannabebig Member
    This stretching routine was recommended to me (i think by one of you monkey aviator guys) Just wonderin, is it ok to do this before my workouts. As in 5 minutes on the bike, then this stretching routine plus a few upper body stretches as well.
    Only thing is these stretches look quite explosive arent stretches supposed to be eased into?

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask...tml#question04

Thanks
    Last edited by dolphin; 07-01-2009 at 02:09 AM.

I wouldn't recommend static stretches pre-workout. The dynamic stretches on the Defranco site would be ideal pre workout.

If you want to do some static stretches do them after your workout.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    I did not realize he said that. That seems counter intuitive when you take into account everything else he says. I know when I was using SS I needed the entire weekend.
    I'm almost positive it's in SS, or maybe Practical Programming.

I learned from this site not to static stretch before your workouts. Now I occasionally do some dynamic stretchs before lifting but nothing static.

However I make sure to static stretch pretty thorough after my workout is done to help spread out the latic acid through the muscles. There is nothing wrong with doing this afterwards is there?

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackharry View Post
    hi
    every body u all are doing great job to make it good forum having information related to health.
    You're posting this exact sentence all over the forums...
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

I am planning on starting SS tomorrow and I want to add the chins and dips to the end of the workouts. Should I do dips on Workout A days and chins on Workout B days? Does it matter? I would assume dips on WO A days b/c of the bench but I just want to make sure before I start.