Thread: routine for a roller derby girl

routine for a roller derby girl

My wife plays roller derby, and really enjoys it.

She currently does a "routine" that one of her teammates comes up with; it changes every week but essentially it is a bunch of body weight exercises. Some are good (occasional push ups / chair dips / burpees) but most of them are pretty weak like "water bottle curls", butt clenches, etc. I am trying to introduce her to weightlifting, she has an interest but has the typical response of "I'll do what my friends do" and "i don't want to get too big". I think in a few months she'll realize this routine isn't helping her much and I tell her how she won't get big, it's a challenge for women to get big with lower testosterone levels and she'd actually be thinner if she traded fat for muscle, pound for pound. Also her routine is a lot of junk for a lot of volume, every day of the week, and I'm telling her how she could weight lift 3 days a week for less time and see better results. I'm not going to force anything on her but if/when she is ready I want to be ready for her.

So I'm looking for functional lifts for her. I figure the squat is a no-brainer to build her legs for stronger/faster skating. Deadlift is probably good too in order to strengthen her back; the skating pose is kind of a defensive lean-forward type stance. Any other suggestions?

thanks,

philip

good mornings sound good, do they push each other? maybe standing overhead press if so. If she does those 4 (DL,SQ,GM,OHP) she'll be damn near a full body work out and her balance and coordination will be amazing.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    good mornings sound good, do they push each other? maybe standing overhead press if so. If she does those 4 (DL,SQ,GM,OHP) she'll be damn near a full body work out and her balance and coordination will be amazing.
    They get to hip-check, flat out pushing with the arms is against the rules.

She won't be excited about spending a lot of time lifting, at least at first I imagine so I'm trying to keep it simple and functional so she can tell the difference. But gm's and OHP are good all around lifts I agree. Thanks!

philip