Thread: frequency of full ROM squatting in full gear

Hybrid View

frequency of full ROM squatting in full gear

I am just curious how often you guys lift full ROM squats in full gear, because it is pretty unpleasent (unless of course you enjoy bleeding from the eyes/nose, patechia, etc). I know a lot of guys train mostly raw or in just briefs/suit with straps down. What are your thoughts on how frequent to squat in full gear, and how frequent to do competition style squats in full gear.

I only do it once before a meet, and I only go up to my opener. I fit it on a DE squat day. Trying to squat in full gear on ME day and squat on DE day just doesn't work for me.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Banned
    My training squats are usually at paralell or a smidge higher. (smidge=.5-1.0 inch)

I try to train my depth with low box squats a 12'' or 13''. But I will try to hit my opener 6-10 days before a comp.

The last 8 or so weeks before a meet I am in full gear with someone calling depth. I don't find geared squats taxing on me really at all, at least not compared to raw squats, deads, good mornings etc.

That being said, my next meet I am going to try a little different approach with less full gear squatting. I feel I have a good enough grasp of the gear now and the confidence to only squat a handful of times full gear and rom before a meet.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Hardly ever. Once before a meet to take a weight, and I usually don't even use knee wraps for my opener.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Thanks for the responses everyone. So I guess the concensus is to just to whatever works best It is pretty interesting to see how many different approaches people have to the same thing.

It really is an individual thing. One of the guys I train with is naturally a good squatter. He can squat in full gear, and it doesn't affect his recovery at all. He can also work up on DE day almost every week without affecting his recovery. I can only work up every 2-3 weeks. My recovery from deadlifting is really good but his isn't. We beat the crap out of each other when we first started training together. Now we've both learned to train more effectively for our individual differences.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    It really is an individual thing. One of the guys I train with is naturally a good squatter. He can squat in full gear, and it doesn't affect his recovery at all. He can also work up on DE day almost every week without affecting his recovery. I can only work up every 2-3 weeks. My recovery from deadlifting is really good but his isn't. We beat the crap out of each other when we first started training together. Now we've both learned to train more effectively for our individual differences.
    I'm that way with one of my training partners, except we are the opposite. I can squat without problems, but he cant. He makes it a couple of weeks nad his knee and hips are killing him. He on the other hand likes to deadlift every week. Even with lighter weights, I'm fine with that for about 3 weeks and then my lower back just starts to scream. I've got to back away.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

The thing I've learned is I need to get under the bar and get the feel for it on my shoulders more so than it being taxing for my CNS or my hips/knees. If I don't I'm all over the place with the weight, shaking and such. I'll generally take an attempt at a meet weight--somewhere between opener and 3rd attempt about 6 weeks out from the meet to a box that is set at or just below parallel. I'll then take my openers about 8-10 days before the meet. I will typically hit a weight up to ~90% of so off a low box every 4th DE workout, again to get used to the heavier weights on my shoulders if I'm not specifically training for a meet. When training for a meet, I like to hit at least 2, maybe 3 singles with that opener weight or just a few pounds heavier in that workout without a box, in squat suit (and briefs) with or without knee wraps depending on how beat up I am. Then I know I'm ready to roll with everything. Again for me, its about getting the weight on my shoulders. I dont' like gettting under a weight and thinking "oh ****". I've also wondered if the shaking I have if I don't do that is due to an intrensic ab weakness. I don't know.

I tried box squatting in briefs and suit with the straps down on DE days this last training cycle with chains and I didn't like it. I ended up dropping the suit, going in just an old pair of briefs. I feel like I get a whole lot more out of it than relying that much on the gear. I'll use chains and more bands the next training cycle, but not the suit.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.