Thread: The 40 day Program (T-Nation article) What does WBB think?

The 40 day Program (T-Nation article) What does WBB think?

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a..._40day_program

What does WBB think I'm curious? Seems like a real strange program. Every day for 40 days you do the same lifts (5) for 2 sets of 5. Weird.

Banned
    Just a few things I picked out

5. Never plan or worry about the weight or the load. Always stay within yourself and go heavy "naturally."

6. Don't eat chalk, scream, or pound on walls. Simply do each lift without any emotion or excitement and strive for perfect technique.

So, the workout might consist of these five movements:

Thick bar deadlift
    Bench press
    Heavy biceps curls
    Kettlebell swings
    Ab wheel

No SQUATS?

yeah that was my first though too

Dan John is an awesome, awesome coach. Those were the exercises he did, but you would select them based on your own needs. It's not a program for novices and it's not an in-season program for PLers.

Here's the deal that most people just can't seem to get - MOST OF US NEED TO FOCUS MORE ON LESS. If your goal is to squat more, then squat MORE. If you want to lose weight, then eat less and move more. Peripheral stuff is nice and may keep us interested, but do what is necessary first and foremost.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    While I usually rip on T-nation articles, they do have a few nuggets of gold in there.

This is one such nugget.

"3. Focus on these five movements.

A large posterior chain movement (the deadlift is the right answer)

Upper body push...

Upper body pull...

A simple full-body explosive move...

And something for what I call an "anterior chain" move (an abdominal exercise)..."

Sounds like what most members do for their workouts on these forums...the "large posterior chain movement" could equally as well be squats. In other words don't focus on the examples he gives of each movement...focus on the movement.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 05-19-2009 at 09:14 PM.

cool guys I value both your opinions. What do you think about the working out every day with the same lift thing? Is 10 sets of an exercise completed in 5 consecutive days really the same thing as 10 sets of an exercise completed in a 5 day window with days of rest in between (like a 5x5 workout)?

As Dan says this was inspired by Pavel, I imagine the daily workouts are aimed with an intention toward a GTG effect.

Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    cool guys I value both your opinions. What do you think about the working out every day with the same lift thing? Is 10 sets of an exercise completed in 5 consecutive days really the same thing as 10 sets of an exercise completed in a 5 day window with days of rest in between (like a 5x5 workout)?
    No, it's not the same at all. If you're going to do something everyday, (or nearly everyday) it CAN'T be full-bore every time. You will burn-out and/or hurt yourself.

I don't remember what the article says, but there's nothing preventing you from varying the exercise order

Here's another article by Dan on, more or less, the same subject:
    http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/f...ble_Method.pdf

Personally, with some lifts (like the kettlebell things I do) I've gone months doing them 5-7 days/week. Goals for me are a bit different than what most people probably lift for (muscular/aerobic endurance vs. hypertrophy & limit strength), but most people could get away w. training more frequently as long as they don't try to go balls to the wall every time. The habit of training is a crucial ingredient that a lot of relative newbies are lacking.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Sensei, you really drop little nuggets of gold all over the internet.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

I'm thinking about trying this until my power rack comes in (and I can start squatting and doing heavy rack pulls again).

I'm thinking these 5 lifts:
    reverse woodchopper
    OH Press
    Deadlift
    Pullups (weighted)
    Curls (negatives)

I'm intrigued to say the least. Not real sure how much weight I should use relative to my max.

thanks for the comments sensei, puts things in perspective.