The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 104 of 118 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 2939
    Quote Originally Posted by LuNa View Post
    I spent this easter weekend at my girlfriend's parents house. Diet was awful, low on protein, high on sugar/chocolate. Will pick up the diet again tomorrow as per normal.
    I hear you on the diet this past weekend. Snacked quite a bit on chocolate sunday/monday. The good news in the big picture an extra 2k cal or so of chocolate over a day or two isn't going to mean a thing.

Great workout to come back with! Keep it up!

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by HJP View Post
    Love the core in there man. Nice session
    Thanks Hayden.

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    1st quote was from March of 2011

I love the progress that you've made over the past year. You have also progressed a great deal on your bench. It appears that you've added about 40 pounds on the bench in the same span on time.

Keep up this damn good work.

I recommend you go back through your journal and give it a read sometime. You'll really see the progress stand out.
    Its funny when you put things in perspective. I am happy with the progress so far, but there are some goals i have had from the start and i feel its about damn time i hit them. I appreciate the perspective though and i really should be more appreciative of how far i have come.

LuNa
    Love the core in there man. Nice session
    Quote Originally Posted by Rileigh View Post
    I hear you on the diet this past weekend. Snacked quite a bit on chocolate sunday/monday. The good news in the big picture an extra 2k cal or so of chocolate over a day or two isn't going to mean a thing.

Great workout to come back with! Keep it up!
    Thats what i thought, i wanted to put those extra cals to good use. Thanks.

Keep moving forward to the goal(s), clearly made great strides up to this point.

Whats your reasoning behind that?
    Being a natty lifter, the gains are going to be slow. You may as well just cut once to a good body fat, like 12% and try to maintain that level or close to it as you progressively add strength and muscle. In your case, 220 lbs would still be too high to start your lean bulk.

You are wayyyyyy past the newbie stages where substantial weight gain will make a huge difference in your lifts/physique.

It would be a huge waste bulking to 260. You will spend months, if not a year dieting that off.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 04-11-2012 at 10:32 AM.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Keep moving forward to the goal(s), clearly made great strides up to this point.
    Thanks Coke.

Quote Originally Posted by FearFactory View Post
    Being a natty lifter, the gains are going to be slow. You may as well just cut once to a good body fat, like 12% and try to maintain that level or close to it as you progressively add strength and muscle. In your case, 220 lbs would still be too high to start your lean bulk.

You are wayyyyyy past the newbie stages where substantial weight gain will make a huge difference in your lifts/physique.

It would be a huge waste bulking to 260. You will spend months, if not a year dieting that off.
    Agree completely.

LuNa
    ME Upper 04-12-2012

Warm up

Floor press, thumbs from smooth
    barxmany
    2x5x40kg (90lbs)
    5x50kg (110lbs)
    3x65kg (145lbs)
    3x80kg (175lbs)
    3x90kg (200lbs)
    3x95kg (210lbs)
    2x100kg (225lbs)
    3x95kg (210lbs)

Wanted three on the 225lbs set, but it wasnt there.

OH Press
    5xbar
    5x30kg (65lbs)
    5x40kg (90lbs)
    3x50kg (110lbs)
    3x5x55kg (125lbs)

Meadows Rows
    8x20kg (45lbs)
    8x30kg (65lbs)
    8x40kg (90lbs)
    8x50kg (110lbs)
    8x55kg (125lbs)

Band pushdowns
    4x20xsmall

Hammer Curl
    8x16's (35's)
    8x20's (45's)
    8x20's (45's)
    8x18's (40's)

I really need to start planning my training better. I feel like im always just maxing out and its not leading to any gains. Like Tone said i need to use Prilepin's table better and plan my cycles. For anyone that is reading (especially Tone, Brian), i could really use some guidance.

LuNa
    DE Lower 04-14-2012

Warm up

Parallel box Squat
    BWxmany
    barxmany
    4x2x40kg (90lbs)
    4x2x60kg (135lbs)
    2x70kg (155lbs) <- add belt, loose
    2x2x80kg (175lbs)
    12x2x90kg (200lbs)

Speed was pretty damn good today.

Deficit deads, standing on 45lb plate
    3x1x70kg (155lbs)
    2x1x90kg (200lbs)
    10x1x110kg (245lbs)

These flew up. Much faster than last week's regular deads.

Deficit SLDL, standing on one of those step thingies
    4x25x60kg (135lbs)

Straight legged Sit-ups
    3x20xBW

Nice job with those efforts, good luck with dialing in and improving the programming.

LuNa
    Went in for DE Upper this morning. Had a short night sleep. Shoulders, elbows, triceps were sore and speed was crap. Decided to leave it after 6 ugly sets. Went to do some pushdowns but even with much lighter weight they felt heavy. Went home after that.

Really dont know how to figure this out. Its obvious it isnt working but im not sure what to correct or change. I might just switch to 5/3/1 so i can just follow the program.

House Lannister
    Really dont know how to figure this out. Its obvious it isnt working but im not sure what to correct or change. I might just switch to 5/3/1 so i can just follow the program.
    I'm gonna +1 that.

I haven't really been posting in here much, but I've been lurking consistently. I just don't think Westside is working out for you at this point LuNa. You were doing really well on the old DC-style split (besides shoulder pressing, but shoulder pressing is a bitch anyways), and I was surprised to see you switch off.

If I were you, I'd go back to 5/3/1 or even give Madcow 5x5 intermediate a shot. I think you need more frequency and/or more practice with the actual comp lifts.

in b4 WS fanboys hate on me.

531 is good as! I had followed it for years before trying the more russian style programs. It is the program I always resort back to too
    Best Raw Lifts
    Squat 260kg (573lbs), Bench 150kg (330lbs), Dead 277.5kg (611lbs)

My Journal

Heading to the IPF Raw World Champs Suzdal, Russia, 2013

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    I'm gonna +1 that.

I haven't really been posting in here much, but I've been lurking consistently. I just don't think Westside is working out for you at this point LuNa. You were doing really well on the old DC-style split (besides shoulder pressing, but shoulder pressing is a bitch anyways), and I was surprised to see you switch off.

If I were you, I'd go back to 5/3/1 or even give Madcow 5x5 intermediate a shot. I think you need more frequency and/or more practice with the actual comp lifts.

in b4 WS fanboys hate on me.
    I really appreciate your advice Ryan, thanks.

531 is good as! I had followed it for years before trying the more russian style programs. It is the program I always resort back to too
    I have done a few cycles before and liked it a lot.

Agree with Ryan. I don't see the point of westside for someone who doesn't do meets. Good old weekly to bi weekly progression is all you need on a recreational level. Try to have fun. You know what's fun? Weekly progression .

Could try DC, don't read into the gospel of not being ready for it. It is more about recovery and knowing what exercises to pick more than absolute strength. You could just do the exercise split and straight sets if you don't want to RP.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 04-16-2012 at 01:00 AM.

LuNa
    I think you need more frequency and/or more practice with the actual comp lifts.
    I feel like im always just maxing out and its not leading to any gains.
    I think this pretty much summarises all that is wrong at the moment. I did learn some things during these last weeks:
    • I need to squat more. My goodmornings arent weak (in comparison with my squats) so i feel the carryover isnt that great for me.
    • Doing high volume of speed squats (20-25 sets) really helped with my speed. Im not explosive at all but felt strong out of the hole after doing this.
    • My bench sucks. Thats it.

I am going to just squat/bench on ME days. Intensity/volume will be based on Prilepin's chart and will built up during the 8 week cycle.

I dont want to give up just yet. I have learned a lot about myself already and feel it would be worth tweaking this.

Madcow looks pretty good, but i would rather do that when i am in a gaining phase. I want to be able to eat my face off whilst squatting three times per week.

LuNa
    Agree with Ryan. I don't see the point of westside for someone who doesn't do meets. Good old weekly to bi weekly progression is all you need on a recreational level. Try to have fun. You know what's fun? Weekly progression .

Could try DC, don't read into the gospel of not being ready for it. It is more about recovery and knowing what exercises to pick more than absolute strength. You could just do the exercise split and straight sets if you don't want to RP.
    I have been thinking about DC actually. I liked that split and am pretty interested in seeing how RP works out for me. The last time i did it with SS i made good gains.

House Lannister
    I have been thinking about DC actually. I liked that split and am pretty interested in seeing how RP works out for me. The last time i did it with SS i made good gains.
    I disagree with Mike about DC not needing strength, but that's just me. My reasoning is that the triple rotation is stupid for someone squatting under 405 (for the most part, Mike is gifted with praying mantis leverages...so he's fucked) and incline benching 250-275 or so, or whathaveyou.

Most can get more bang for their buck with greater lift frequency on squats or DLs. That's why I enjoy my double rotation, 2x a week frequency per bodypart that I almost always resort back to.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    I disagree with Mike about DC not needing strength, but that's just me. My reasoning is that the triple rotation is stupid for someone squatting under 405 (for the most part, Mike is gifted with praying mantis leverages...so he's fucked) and incline benching 250-275 or so, or whathaveyou.

Most can get more bang for their buck with greater lift frequency on squats or DLs. That's why I enjoy my double rotation, 2x a week frequency per bodypart that I almost always resort back to.
    I find I progress even faster on the three way. When that movement comes up two weeks later you are just magically better at it, it is weird.

I find I progress even faster on the three way. When that movement comes up two weeks later you are just magically better at it, it is weird.
    2nd that magically better quote. I will always look back to the workout from 2 weeks earlier and wonder if I pussed out on that previous workout or what.

Then again, there are those exercises I just suck at and can barely make them budge.

I think the DC routine is good for the fact that it is predicated on frequency and progression. You have to progress, and I always see certain lifts progress like mad, but they are lifts that I'm normally strong at.

I think DC is a solid routine, even if you don't train with the intensity it advocates. Getting the frequency and then the 2 weeks between lifts makes you feel that you are "certain" you'll do better as you have to increase the weight or reps.

5-3-1 worked wonders for the short period I ran with it. Bench was nearly the best it ever has been on that routine.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Here is the thing...you can't put use an absolute number to say you are ready for a program. Everyone is different in terms of their strength ceiling. But if it is taking you 2-3 weeks to progress anyway on each movement, then why not do the 3 way DC lays out? Just go by how fast you are progressing to choose how much rotation you need. If you can still add weight every week, stick with a basic set of movements...then go to a two way....then eventually a three way like DC.

It really has little to do with absolute strength. By some people's definition, 95% of people would never be ready for DC. I will always be a terrible squatter. So by their definition, I am supposed to slave for 10 more years getting my squat numbers up then start DC when I am 38 and on the decline? Makes no sense. Most people who have insane strength numbers were gifted that way.

LuNa
    AM weight: 105.2kg (231lbs)

LuNa
    SQ/DL 04-17-2012

BW squats, TKEs, Leg Swings (front/side), hip stretch

Squats
    barxmany
    5x60kg (135lbs)
    5x80kg (175lbs)
    3x100kg (225lbs)
    5x115kg (255lbs)
    5x115kg (255lbs)
    5x115kg (255lbs)
    5x115kg (255lbs)
    5x115kg (255lbs)

Felt great squatting again. Changed form slightly. I moved my hands further out, got the bar lower on my back and squeezed my shoulder blades together. Strength was good, especially on the last two sets.

Deadlift, conventional
    5x60kg (135lbs)
    3x110kg (245lbs)
    5x135kg (295lbs)
    5x135kg (295lbs)
    5x135kg (295lbs)
    5x135kg (295lbs)
    5x135kg (295lbs)

DB Shrugs
    10x36's (80's)
    10x44's (96's)
    10x48's (105's)
    10x52's (115's)

Standing band crunch
    20xsmall, each side
    20xsmall, each side
    20xsmall, each side

I don't think I could do DLs followed by squats. Too spent after either one of those! Strong workout there, bro.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Session is excellent Luna.

Nice session. The squat/DL combo is tough
    Best Raw Lifts
    Squat 260kg (573lbs), Bench 150kg (330lbs), Dead 277.5kg (611lbs)

My Journal

Heading to the IPF Raw World Champs Suzdal, Russia, 2013