Page 11 of 118 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 2939

Thread: A Weak Persons Journey To Strength...

  1. #251
    LuNa
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tilburg, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    LOL at the 20 reppers They are evil good. Nice work, but I'm not sure I could handle 20 reppers on a cut
    Hehe, im pretty sure you could. I wish i had your numbers on the 20 reppers. Man, i am getting even more respect for your numbers with every session.

  2. #252
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,884
    Just remember, it took me years to get to those numbers...and I was bulking

    Here's a trick that worked for me. I break down the 30 reps into groups of 5. The first 5 reps I pound out one after the other (rep style). The next five, I take one extra breath between reps (two total). the next five I take 3 or 4 breaths between reps. The last 5 reps I take as many breaths as I need to finish them. I think the rythm helps to keep me focussed.
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  3. #253
    LuNa
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tilburg, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Just remember, it took me years to get to those numbers...and I was bulking

    Here's a trick that worked for me. I break down the 30 reps into groups of 5. The first 5 reps I pound out one after the other (rep style). The next five, I take one extra breath between reps (two total). the next five I take 3 or 4 breaths between reps. The last 5 reps I take as many breaths as I need to finish them. I think the rythm helps to keep me focussed.
    Thanks for that, but it doesnt take away the fact that it is impresive .

    Thanks for the tips. What i have been doing is taking three breaths between every rep, because you mentioned that before. It works pretty well. Actually, i do that even when i do only 5 reps. I take 2-3 breaths in between reps.

  4. #254
    LuNa
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tilburg, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,716
    DOMS is back with a vengeance. Diet has been pretty good, i went out yesterday and just had one beer and it was low carb. Im also walking for an hour today to get to uni and back.

    Was feeling pretty lean this morning. I have a lot of rib action going on and it seems to be going the right way. Great stuff.

  5. #255
    Journalist galileo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    9,289
    I used to do 20 rep squats back in college, when I thought HIT was cool. One day my form broke down toward the end and I pulled out my back pretty bad. No more 20 rep squats for me.

  6. #256
    LuNa
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tilburg, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,716
    Quote Originally Posted by galileo View Post
    I used to do 20 rep squats back in college, when I thought HIT was cool. One day my form broke down toward the end and I pulled out my back pretty bad. No more 20 rep squats for me.
    Wow, that sucks. I like the 20 reppers but seeing as im so new to weightlifting, i really need to focus on my form. Thanks for that!

  7. #257
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    485
    I saw that u said ur new to weight lifting, just stick to ur program and prgress will come man

  8. #258
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,884
    Quote Originally Posted by LuNalicious View Post
    What i have been doing is taking three breaths between every rep

    Ohhh...you are doing it the HARD way
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  9. #259
    LuNa
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tilburg, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Ohhh...you are doing it the HARD way
    Oh, really? I thought that was to make it easier...

  10. #260
    LuNa
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tilburg, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Al19067 View Post
    I saw that u said ur new to weight lifting, just stick to ur program and prgress will come man
    Will definitely do. Im close to my half year anniversary with the weights and it looks like we will celebrate with some more DOMS.

  11. #261
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,884
    Quote Originally Posted by LuNalicious View Post
    Oh, really? I thought that was to make it easier...
    No way...getting those first 10 reps done quickly is much easier...especially as the weights get heavier.
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  12. #262
    LuNa
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tilburg, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    No way...getting those first 10 reps done quickly is much easier...especially as the weights get heavier.
    Hmm, thats a good point . Im going to try what you mentioned before, see what happens. I cant believe btw i still feel crippled. DOMS from 20 reps squats is nothing to be jealous off .

  13. #263
    LuNa
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tilburg, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,716
    I missed yesterdays gym session due to lots of uni work. Today will be no different but im planning on hitting the gym tomorrow morning. Diet has been ok, i feel lean and my clothes are getting a lot more room in them.

    Cant wait until i have time to go three times a week again.

  14. #264
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,884
    Enjoy the rest/recovery.
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  15. #265
    LuNa
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tilburg, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,716
    Felt good to be back in the gym. Felt a bit tired because i havent had a whole lot of sleep due to uni stuff. It was hot in the gym, i guess spring finally kicked in. I was sweating like a whore in church.

    Back Squat:
    1x20x80kg <-- I felt like death afterwards. I tried to use less breaths in between which resulted in a bit of a headache, but the set was over a lot quicker. Wow, just wow. The feeling after this is unbelievable. You wonder why you would do this to yourself, but you are also happy you did it. I found that counting down, really helped.

    OH Press:
    2x5x50kg
    1x3x50kg <-- Form wasnt strict and i was without a belt so i didnt want to risk an injury. I was moving around to much with my upper body to get the weight up. This was less of a problem with a belt. I guess the weights are just a little too heavy.

    Curls:
    3x8x30kg <-- First time i finished all sets. Pump was sore.

    I had to cut todays workout a little short because i still had to study for an exam. However, i could have stopped after the squats and still have an awesome work out in. They really kick your ass. I think a new goal of mine is to get 20x100kg. That would be great.

  16. #266
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,884
    Nice work on the squats. Now you are starting to understand my obsession with them. Nothing works you harder than 20 rep squats. Great job.
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  17. #267
    LuNa
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tilburg, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Nice work on the squats. Now you are starting to understand my obsession with them. Nothing works you harder than 20 rep squats. Great job.
    Yeah definitely. I am sure that when i get to 100kg ill love the results it has given me. It feels different than doing 3x5 or whatever. Also, the DOMS is more intense i find.

  18. #268
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,884
    McCallum says to work up to 300 lbs and you'll see fantastic results. But 300 lbs is HEAVY
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  19. #269
    LuNa
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tilburg, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    McCallum says to work up to 300 lbs and you'll see fantastic results. But 300 lbs is HEAVY
    I still have a long way to go. Especially seeing as i havent done 3x5 with 300lbs yet.

    How is the carryover from 20 rep squats to your 1RM? Also, what would be the percentage of your 1rm if you have done a 20rm? I guess its less of an indicator of your 1rm than 3rm or 5rm with using percentages. Not sure if you know, but just wondering.

  20. #270
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,884
    What I've found is 20 rep squats are a whole different animal. You can get really good at carrying the weight on your back for long periods. The rest-pause thing adds another twist to it too. But, it's just like doing high rep bench press (or any other lift), you get good at reps but there isn't a huge gap between that and your 1RM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  21. #271
    LuNa
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tilburg, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    What I've found is 20 rep squats are a whole different animal. You can get really good at carrying the weight on your back for long periods. The rest-pause thing adds another twist to it too. But, it's just like doing high rep bench press (or any other lift), you get good at reps but there isn't a huge gap between that and your 1RM.
    Ah ok, thanks.

  22. #272
    Wannabebig Member rocklee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11
    Mate good effort on the 20 reps.
    20 x 80kg squat.. O_O

    Although my legs are currently weakas, I tried 60kg x 20 once, I thought I had crapped my pants and almost blacked out.
    Like humping an elephant.. must.. get up... omg.. im going to die.. gasp for air at top... down down...

    Note to self: do not eat big meal before squatting

  23. #273
    LuNa
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tilburg, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,716
    Quote Originally Posted by rocklee View Post
    Mate good effort on the 20 reps.
    20 x 80kg squat.. O_O

    Although my legs are currently weakas, I tried 60kg x 20 once, I thought I had crapped my pants and almost blacked out.
    Like humping an elephant.. must.. get up... omg.. im going to die.. gasp for air at top... down down...

    Note to self: do not eat big meal before squatting
    Hehe, i learned not to eat big before squatting as well. I kept on burping during squats, it wasnt pretty.

    20 reps are great. Not while doing them, not the day after, but the moment you have finished them.

    Thanks for dropping by .

  24. #274
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6
    looking good!

  25. #275
    LuNa
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tilburg, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,716
    Quote Originally Posted by SMILE View Post
    looking good!
    Cheers!

Similar Threads

  1. why cant girls do pushups or chins ?
    By Shocker in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 11-16-2010, 05:38 PM
  2. Got Strength?
    By THE BRUTE in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 12:11 PM
  3. So I just did the first day of my NROL strength routine yesterday...
    By brihead301 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-09-2007, 09:40 AM
  4. I need your help and motivation...BADLY!
    By Superman250 in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-14-2007, 09:45 PM
  5. Are women and men equal in strength? Who is strong?
    By extragame2 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 04-29-2007, 06:30 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •