The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 12 of 118 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LuNalicious View Post
    F
    Back Squat:
    1x20x80kg <-- I felt like death afterwards. I tried to use less breaths in between which resulted in a bit of a headache, but the set was over a lot quicker. Wow, just wow. The feeling after this is unbelievable. You wonder why you would do this to yourself, but you are also happy you did it. I found that counting down, really helped.
    Nice man! I love me some 20 reppers! 300x20 is one hell of a goal, good luck you masochistic bastard!
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 10-22-2009 at 06:41 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

LuNa
    Hehe, definitely. First 20x225 and then we will see if im man enough to work to 20x300.

LuNa
    Diet and Training have really been put on the bottom of the priority list this last week. Uni was incredibly busy and i ate more for what was easiest and least time consuming than anything. Monday is my last day of class and after that i should be able to pick things up again.

I also need to reevaluate my goals. I either need to really commit to going for 10% or i need to start focussing on strength. At this point im not sure if i want to go to 10%, i find strength more important. I need to make sure im not wasting any time doing things half assed.

I know what you mean...I can never settle too long at cutting because I think about all the size/strength gains I might be missing out on by reducing calories.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I know what you mean...I can never settle too long at cutting because I think about all the size/strength gains I might be missing out on by reducing calories.
    Exactly. Im also getting at a point where fat loss is going much slower, so you feel like you are not loosing anything and you arent gaining strength and muscle as well. Its frustrating to say the least. Im pretty sure that if i just keep going for another 4 weeks at least, focussing on one goal, that ill get where i want to be, for now.

Exactly. Im also getting at a point where fat loss is going much slower, so you feel like you are not loosing anything and you arent gaining strength and muscle as well. Its frustrating to say the least. Im pretty sure that if i just keep going for another 4 weeks at least, focussing on one goal, that ill get where i want to be, for now.
    If you're at a point where your cutting has slowed, you need to evaluate what you're doing and perhaps modify your approach. Some ways that I'd suggest, assuming you've not already:

1. Introduce period refeeds. 150% maintenance (high carb, simple starch focused), once every 2 weeks (if you're fat), once every week (if you're moderately fat), once every 3 days (if you're lean).
    2. Introduce a fat burner - green tea, caffeine, ephedrine hcl, etc. The key of a good fat burner is that it helps you:
    a. Release fat from a cell (catecholamines...green tea, caffeine)
    b. Mobilize fat for burning (ephedrine is good for that)
    3. Introduce targeted cardiovascular work (burning fat). A lot of people have success with steady state cardio...seems to be pretty much infallible. HIIT is another common style, although I've seen evidence go all ways on that.
    4. Change up the general diet. Carbs too high/low? Not enough healthy fats? Caloric deficit no longer sufficient? A lot of minor tweaks can make a major difference.

I've been running all this through my head right now as well. I'm going to start by adding cardio in little bits and doing full refeeds. Next step will be added supplements.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by galileo View Post
    If you're at a point where your cutting has slowed, you need to evaluate what you're doing and perhaps modify your approach. Some ways that I'd suggest, assuming you've not already:

1. Introduce period refeeds. 150% maintenance (high carb, simple starch focused), once every 2 weeks (if you're fat), once every week (if you're moderately fat), once every 3 days (if you're lean).
    2. Introduce a fat burner - green tea, caffeine, ephedrine hcl, etc. The key of a good fat burner is that it helps you:
    a. Release fat from a cell (catecholamines...green tea, caffeine)
    b. Mobilize fat for burning (ephedrine is good for that)
    3. Introduce targeted cardiovascular work (burning fat). A lot of people have success with steady state cardio...seems to be pretty much infallible. HIIT is another common style, although I've seen evidence go all ways on that.
    4. Change up the general diet. Carbs too high/low? Not enough healthy fats? Caloric deficit no longer sufficient? A lot of minor tweaks can make a major difference.

I've been running all this through my head right now as well. I'm going to start by adding cardio in little bits and doing full refeeds. Next step will be added supplements.
    Thanks for taking the time to mention all of that. I think its a point 4 kind of thing. I havent been as strict so i might not have a deficit as big as i think it is. Going to really focus on counting again (with Fitday) and see where that takes me. 5 more kg in the next 6 weeks should be nice.

Its funny because when i started i though 10 kg should do it. Now im thinking i have atleast another 10kg to go. Will just make the best of it untill Christmas and then reevaluate my goals.

Thanks again, Gal. I like the new avatar btw .

LuNa
    Yesterday was my last day of lectures forever! Its great to have that finished. I still have a crapload of assignments to do but i can at least more easily plan workouts. Im going to get this back on track starting Wednesday. Nothing changing workout wise so far, however i think im going to buy Jim Wendler's 5,3,1 ebook. If anybody knows, how large is the file that you have to download? I have crappy internet at home, so it cant be too big.

LuNa
    I finally found my way back to the gym. It was good to be back in the gym, however i am feeling pretty weak at the moment. Its weird because it has only been a week since i went last but i feel a lot weaker.

I have been dieting for 3 months now and i think this is a good point to go for maintenance for a bit and then maybe start a really slow clean bulk. I have lost the motivation a bit to loose more because i am starting to loose strength. I think a slow clean bulk (Carb cycling maybe) would be a good next step. If i could do that for some time without adding a lot of fat and then cut before summer next year.

I am currently reading 5/3/1 and i really like the setup. I think i will start it the moment i finish the book which should be about next week. If anyone has any tips, i would love to hear them.

LuNa
    Here is todays workout.

Front Squat:
    3x5x75kg <-- Form was good on some reps, pretty bad on especially the last set. Happy that i didnt loose any strength on this.

Bench Press:
    3x5x60kg <-- Form was a lot better, especially the last set. I dont want to increase the weight untill i have found proper form. Bench is my weakest lift and that is mainly due to bad form. Ok, im also really weak, but still .

Deadlift:
    1x3x160kg <-- This felt too heavy which is the main reason i want to stop dieting. I love deadlifting and i dont want to see this get any weaker.

I want to get my goals that i set when i just started and i think 5/3/1 combined with a clean bulk should do it.

Screw dieting I watched my lifts go down the crapper when I dieted - back to 210 and 11-12% bf - never been lifting better - props though, keep up the good work!
    Squat - 450
    Bench - 325
    Dead - 570

BW - 210
    BF - 13-14%

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121686

Good effort and nice lifting. I hate dieting too.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

LuNa
    Thanks guys!

The results have been pretty good, but i am far from lean. The thing at the moment is that i dont have enough muscle in my opinion to really look how i want to. Even if i would drop to 10%. Im pretty sure that if i eat clean and lift hard, i can drop some fat while increasing LBM.

Btw, 210 and 11-12% bf is awesome Wimarine88.

Off Road, im going through your journal to look at your experience with the program. Any tips?

The thing to understand though, is it is much easier to pack on weight and then cut to lean muscle - in my opinion - if you try to do a clean bulk, eg. carb cycling as in high, medium and low days you will see optimum results - you may lose a little strength, but it is much easier to pack on weight than it is to cut - if you have problems, let me know and I might be able to help you out a little!
    Squat - 450
    Bench - 325
    Dead - 570

BW - 210
    BF - 13-14%

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121686

Welcome back Luna ;-)
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Off Road, im going through your journal to look at your experience with the program. Any tips?

Tips? Well first of all, I think you are really going to like it. It is so easy to follow and it is very flexible to your goals. I'd definately recomend getting the e-book because it does a good job of explaining what to do for different stages.

There is something that I do differently than the book or others that are using the program. Some guys do great with a high intensity and high frequency routine, but I do not. Therefore I have to adjust the intensity through the weeks, but this may just be me and you might do well with it as-written.

If you do find yourself regressing after a few weeks, here's what I do. It's not my idea and I stole it from a popular trainer on another forum:

On the 3x5 week, I only do the required reps (5) and I push a couple of asistance exercises fairly hard.

On the 3x3 week, I will go ahead and push out a few extra reps as long as it's not too close to failure and I will only go moderately heavy on the assistance exercises.

On the 5/3/1 week, I will go all-out on the last set and go very easy on the assistance exercises. I don't want to interfere with the rest of the PR attempts that come later in the week.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by wimarine88 View Post
    The thing to understand though, is it is much easier to pack on weight and then cut to lean muscle - in my opinion - if you try to do a clean bulk, eg. carb cycling as in high, medium and low days you will see optimum results - you may lose a little strength, but it is much easier to pack on weight than it is to cut - if you have problems, let me know and I might be able to help you out a little!
    I will deffinately take you up on that offer. Ill be trying some stuff out first but when i run into problems ill let you know. Thanks so much!

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    Welcome back Luna ;-)
    Thanks Tom. I have some catching up to do with you

LuNa
    Tips? Well first of all, I think you are really going to like it. It is so easy to follow and it is very flexible to your goals. I'd definately recomend getting the e-book because it does a good job of explaining what to do for different stages.

There is something that I do differently than the book or others that are using the program. Some guys do great with a high intensity and high frequency routine, but I do not. Therefore I have to adjust the intensity through the weeks, but this may just be me and you might do well with it as-written.

If you do find yourself regressing after a few weeks, here's what I do. It's not my idea and I stole it from a popular trainer on another forum:

On the 3x5 week, I only do the required reps (5) and I push a couple of asistance exercises fairly hard.

On the 3x3 week, I will go ahead and push out a few extra reps as long as it's not too close to failure and I will only go moderately heavy on the assistance exercises.

On the 5/3/1 week, I will go all-out on the last set and go very easy on the assistance exercises. I don't want to interfere with the rest of the PR attempts that come later in the week.
    I actually have the ebook and finished it in 4 hours. It was an amazing read.

I have been looking at your journal and you seem to have combined the "Boring but Big" and Triumvariate accessory methods. I stole most of your stuff at the moment .

Ill definitely keep that in mind when i first start out. I think i could really use some intensity again after the cut. I have been going lighter than i could/should and i think it was mostly mentally. I was eating less so i was expecting to be weaker. The mental aspect is huge for me.

Thanks Off Road for the tips. Im rereading your journal again, just to pick up some more stuff

Ya. I've pretty much settled on the trimulative (or whatever it's called) for upper body and Boring but Big for the lower body. I
    m still kind of playing with sets and reps.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

LuNa
    Ya. I've pretty much settled on the trimulative (or whatever it's called) for upper body and Boring but Big for the lower body. I
    m still kind of playing with sets and reps.
    That sounds pretty good. After you got me trying the 20 reppers, i kind of love higher volume for the lower body. Im going to give this a shot for the first cycle. Man, i am so excited!

Good luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

LuNa
    Good luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
    Thanks for the help Off Road.

LuNa
    Last day of SS, which was nothing like SS really. I wanted to test my 1RM for back squats because it has been a while and Jim Wendler says in his book that you need to take a 1rm that you can do now. I didnt get as high as i wanted, but it felt pretty good doing 1 rep squats. Now, its rest and recovery before monday, still excited as hell!

Squats:
    5x60kg
    3x80kg
    1x100kg
    1x110kg
    1x120kg
    1x125kg <-- This was a bad good morning so i decided this was my max.

Rack Chins:
    1x8 <-- wasnt sure if i was doing them right but they felt different than the two chins i did afterwards.

Face Pulls:
    3x12x26kg <-- Pretty good exercise, which i will be doing on the OH Press day.

I kept it short because i was still quite sore and i want to start relatively fresh. Im really going to focus on strength now, which feels great. I really hope i can make my initial goals by 2010.

LuNa
    Read the "To Bulk or to Cut" article again and decided that this would fit best at the moment. Im going for 200lbs at 10% which means i need to take in around 2800-3000 calories.

I also know from previous experience that my maintenance is around 3000 calories at the moment. Therefore i will start cycling carbs to get me above maintenance (3500 cals) on workout days and below maintenance (2500) on non lifting days. Weekends can either be at maintenance or below. This should allow me to slowly add muscle while minimizing fat gains.

I will have to try it to see if it works. If strength is compromized i will bump the calories. Im aiming for about 2-4 lbs of muscle a month, with hopefully a larger drop in fat, but that is wishfull thinking.