The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 18 of 118 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
    LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Good job with the eating. I know it's hard to stay strict after a big deadlift session.
    The good thing is, a guy that really knows his stuff told me you had to train the appetite . So i feel pretty good that i get that hungry.

LuNa
    Cycle 2, Wave 1

Shoulder stuff to warm up

Bench Press
    5x45kg (100lbs)
    5x50kg (110lbs)
    15x57.5kg (130lbs)

Dumbbell Bench
    10x14's
    10x16's
    10x18's
    9x16's
    10x14's

Barbell BO Row
    10x40kg (90lbs)
    10x45kg (100lbs)
    10x50kg (110lbs)
    10x45kg (100lbs)
    10x40kg (90lbs)

Tricep Extensions
    5x20x5kg

Shoulder Horn
    15x3kg
    15x4kg
    15x3kg

My Thoughts
    I was really happy with the 15 reps. The weight felt light and form was good. Pretty happy that my bench finally seems to be increasing.

I really had to check my ego today on the accessory work. I went a little bit higher in weight with the dumbbells and lower in reps. I failed on the 4th set which made me take some extra rest to make sure i stayed away from failure.
    The rows were done with light weight, but i felt that only the 40kg sets were strict. Im going to keep that weight and do sets across next time. Strict reps, maximum contraction.
    Tricep extensions, where to start . I had the lightest dumbbell (before going to the pink ones) and i failed on all sets. Everytime i came close to around 15 reps. It was a great finisher and the pump in my triceps was insane.

On the weight front, i lost 2lbs since Monday. Pretty good for not being on a diet. I think the two no carb days and the increase in protein really helped me out. Im going to stick with this, i feel great!

Had so much fun today, it was an amazing session. Im going to squat tomorrow, so i can get all sessions in one week. My gym closes soon for christmas break and i need to go all out before the break.

I want pictures of you using the pink ones next time

Very nice session. Doesn't it feel great when you have one of those days that just breaks all expectations. It's fun to get things dialed in just right. Nice job.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Saying exactly the same as Rhodes, good to see you cruising along with all things dialled in mate. We will have to try meet up for a BBQ or something in January Ren, get you to teach me about this here carb cycling business :P.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

LuNa
    I want pictures of you using the pink ones next time

Very nice session. Doesn't it feel great when you have one of those days that just breaks all expectations. It's fun to get things dialed in just right. Nice job.
    Never!

It really does. I am having so much fun in the gym that for the first time in my life, going three times a week feels easy, instead of a chore. Im loving it.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    Saying exactly the same as Rhodes, good to see you cruising along with all things dialled in mate. We will have to try meet up for a BBQ or something in January Ren, get you to teach me about this here carb cycling business :P.
    Thanks! We definitely have to! Hehe, it will be a short conversation . It would be good though to share some stuff, we'll make it happen.

LuNa
    Cycle 2, Wave 1

Squat
    5x75kg (165lbs)
    5x87.5kg (190lbs)
    5x97.5kg (215lbs)

Back Raise
    5x12xBW

Leg Press
    Narrow Stance, deep reps (lower back off pad at the bottom)
    Plates are 55lbs

5x20x2plates

Sit-ups
    5x10x4kg

My Thoughts
    My mind wasnt completely there today. I had a bad night sleep. However, seeing as i havent had a particular bad day in a long time, it isnt that bad.

Squats were meh. They felt heavy and i stopped after getting five.

The back raises however, were AMAZING. I have never felt such a pump in my lower back before. I decided to try them without any weight and they felt awesome.

Leg presses were nothing special. I was hoping i could really feel it in my quads but i didnt really feel anything. I think the load was too low, which is fine seeing as this was the first time ever i have done a leg press.

Tomorrow will be no carb again. Im really enjoying those days because i feel a lot less bloated than when i do eat carbs. All is good.

They can't all be gold. Still, a nice workout.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

LuNa
    Cycle 2, Wave 2

Shoulder warm up

OH Press
    3x37.5kg (80lbs)
    3x42.5kg (90lbs)
    7x47.5kg (105lbs)

Chin ups
    Outside shoulder width grip
    15x1
    Narrow grip
    10x1

Incline Dumbbell Press
    5x10x16kg

T-bar Rows
    5x10x+30kg

Face Pulls
    5x10x26kg

Shoulder Horn
    3x15x4kg

My Thoughts
    I think i have added too many exercises on the OH press day. It took me about 1 hour and 45 mins to get everything done which is too much. The rows are going and i will have to see how much the incline presses help.

I was happy with the 7 reps, but it was a struggle. I am not really feeling any stronger this cycle which gives me the idea it might be from doing too much work. Furthermore, i really do not enjoy going 4 times a week. I have done it twice now and everytime i just feel beat up. 3 times is more than enough in my opinion.

Diet has been ok, nothing special. Doing grocery shopping today so tomorrow should be a good, strict day.
    Last edited by LuNa; 12-13-2009 at 10:44 PM.

That was a whole bunch of chin-ups.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

LuNa
    Cycle 2, Wave 2

Deadlift
    3x112.5kg (245lbs)
    3x127.5kg (280lbs)
    10x145kg (315lbs)

5x10x80kg (175lbs)

Good Morning's
    Narrow Stance
    3x12x25kg (55lbs)

Weighted Sit-ups
    5x10xBW+5kg

My Thoughts
    We had a new barbell and i was pretty excited to use it seeing as all the other barbells have seen better days. The knurling was pretty tough, but on the lower weight sets it gave me better grip. On my all out set however, i felt my skin was being taken off. It still gave me better grip so i guess thats good . Im happy with 10.

Accessory work was done with short rests which resulted in me dripping with sweat. It was a pretty good session overall.

My no carb day started pretty well, but then ended in me going out for dinner because my girlfriend found out she graduated. I had steak and some chips so it wasnt all bad.

Tomorrow ill be going in for bench which will probably be the last serious session for this year. My gym closes and i didnt have the money for another membership. During this period, I will keep carbs low, protein high and maybe sneak in some stuff at a really small gym i can get in for free (prob all machines). Im hoping i wont loose any muscle. Im expecting loss of strength but that should be back in one week when my gym reopens on the 4th of January.

LuNa
    That was a whole bunch of chin-ups.
    All done as singles, but i found out i wasnt doing them from a complete dead hang which felt a lot harder. I might have to try rack chins or just keep doing them like this until i get stronger.

10x145 is crazy Ren... Good work mate.

Remember, even when you're not in the gym you can still do : Pushups, pullups, bar dips, squats and crap like that. It's not as good as weight training but it will be far better than nothing at all.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Nice workout. Hey, while you're at the other gym, just do what you can. You might even try out some of the machine replacement lifts, just to see how the other half lives
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    10x145 is crazy Ren... Good work mate.

Remember, even when you're not in the gym you can still do : Pushups, pullups, bar dips, squats and crap like that. It's not as good as weight training but it will be far better than nothing at all.
    Thanks. Ill definitely have a look at things like that. I have already pursuaded my gf to let me use her for bear hug walks and such .

LuNa
    Nice workout. Hey, while you're at the other gym, just do what you can. You might even try out some of the machine replacement lifts, just to see how the other half lives
    Thanks Off Road. This year has been great and your motivation and advice definitely helped. Thanks for that. I might have to go the machines a go. I still remember starting out on the machines, not liking it at all .

LuNa
    So, today was supposed to be bench day but i had such a bad night sleep (hot as hell!) that i was incredibly tired. My lower back was also feeling a bit tight, so i decided not go. I kept pretty active the whole day despite feeling tired so i guess it isnt all bad. Im going to miss my gym a lot the coming two weeks, which is something i never expected to say.

LuNa
    Ill keep updating this journal even though im out of any serious weightlifting at the moment. My girlfriends parents have arrived which meant we were out all day. Diet has been lacking a little bit but i have been trying to keep protein high and cut off carbs in the afternoon.

Had a look at the little gym and there is a bench and some dumbbells. Im pretty sure i could do something there, just depends when i can go. Im also going to do some bodyweight complexes three times a week. I wanted to do one today, but after starting enthousiastically, my lungs were burning half way through. I have no conditioning what so ever . Im going to ease into it tomorrow and see what happens.

The complexes is the following:
    Squats 10 reps
    Lunges 10 reps
    Push ups 10 reps
    Sit ups 10 reps

Ill need to look at what else i can do. I also want to lift some stuff because i really miss deadlifting. I wonder how good my girlfriend could pretend to be a barbell...

Smart move. This little break would be a great time to work on conditioning. Too bad you don't have a sled.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

LuNa
    First day in the very small gym. I have been keeping very active by walking everyday, but no weights. Diet can be much better, but the coming three days will be perfect again because i am at home again. Did some small stuff with a focus on conditioning. My lungs were burning at the end and i sweated the whole way home. Not bad for a gym with only 6 pairs of dumbbells.

Shoulder stuff to warm up

Dumbbell OH Press
    5x15's
    5x15's
    10x15's

Incline dumbbell press
    3x10x15

Superset Tricep ext and dumbbell curls
    3x10x5's, Tricep
    3x10x10's, Bicep

Superset clean and press, front squats and Romanian deadlifts
    3x10x7.5's, clean and press
    3x10x10, Front Squat
    3x10x22.5's, Romanian deadlift

Ren got his "PUMP" on
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

LuNa
    Ren got his "PUMP" on
    Hehe, the supersets were pretty cool. I guess this is the best time ever to try some new stuff such as supersets.

Awesome Deads! Enjoy the break from heavy lifting!
    Sarvamangalam!

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Awesome Deads! Enjoy the break from heavy lifting!
    Thanks Zen. A week off was more than enough, i miss my more strict diet and going to the gym. I feel awful. Just a week more and then ill be back to my good gym.

LuNa
    It seems that my time in Australia is coming to an end. My girlfriend recently graduated (done here 1.5 years masters in 1 year) and seeing that i graduated aswell in November, we are going back to Holland. Flights have been booked and im leaving this amazing country on the 14th of January.

Going back will mean some big changes because im going to live with my parents again for a little while. Im really going to try and keep this lifestyle up, but being without money and a job is going to complicate things. Ill have to make the best of it.

Time to enjoy my last weeks here.