The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 118 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by benno View Post
    Good to see everything is coming back on track mate.
    Thanks Benno, same here!

LuNa
    Squats:
    10xbar
    5x40kg
    5x50kg

3x5x60kg <-- Less warm up sets is definitely better for me. I used a lower box which took me about an inch under paralel. My back didnt feel rounded so i am going to keep that box height. Squats were heavy but good.

OH press:
    5xbar
    5x10kg
    3x20kg

3x5x22.5kg <-- Finished all reps which means it is time to increase the weight. Hopefull this time i can break through that 25kg and start moving towards 30kg.

Power cleans:
    5x20kg
    3x25kg

5x3x30kg <-- I felt i could do 30kg and i managed to finish all reps. Form was harder to keep so i am happy i am doing 5x3. Will increase the weight but i need to make sure i keep my form up.

Chin ups: 3x8 on 14 <-- These are so heavy! I failed on the second set. I think it is because the main lifts are starting to get heavy. I dont mind the fact that this is not increasing, as long as my other lifts are. Will try again next week.

Reverse hypers: 3x8x15kg <-- back felt tight again, but i feel as if these are really good in helping me to keep my back arched in squats. My squats feel better atleast.

Good training day. I am going to make Friday the day i do some heavy corework seeing as my abs were still a bit sore from Monday and last week.

Note: i can not believe i did not gain weight yet. I visited my friend McDonalds twice this week to get my cals over 4000. Must eat more...where are those Oreos?!?

lookin good bro! keep it up!
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

LuNa
    Didnt have time to update yet, so here is yesterdays workout.

Squat:
    5xbar
    5x40kg
    3x60kg

3x5x65kg <-- Felt heavy, but i am sure i could do more. Hopefully i will smash the 80kg by Friday, which means that i can squat my own bodyweight if you add the weight of the bar. Would be really happy with that.

Benchpress:
    5xbar
    5x20kg
    3x40kg

3x4x45kg <-- Failed the last rep in all three sets. Was still happy that i could do 4 each set. I really need to have a look at my form here because i am not using leg drive yet. Pretty sure i could improve by rereading this part in SS.

Deadlift:
    5x50kg
    3x90kg
    1x100kg

1x5x110kg <-- Felt so good doing this. Was really happy i did this. Felt the bar slip at the 4th rep so i switched to a mixed grip for the 5th one. Next goal will be 120kg and a longer term goal is 150kg because that will be three plates!

Dips: 3x8 on 10 <-- Failed on the last rep of the third set. They felt good and i really look forward doing these without the assistance of the machine.

Did not gain weight again however i did have some stomach problems on Thursday which made me spend the most of the day with the white porcelain. Might have made the difference. Will see if i can gain a kilo next week.
    Flexibility work is awesome. I feel so much more secure in the hole. Also feel that my deadlift is better now because me back does not round that much anymore. Thanks Sensei for the stretches!!

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by nockits View Post
    lookin good bro! keep it up!
    Thanks a lot Nockits!

LuNa
    I decided to add the weight of the bar to all my weights to get a better representation of what i am lifting. That means that 20kg will be added to all lifts.

Squats:
    5xbar
    5x60kg
    3x80kg

3x5x90kg <-- Heavy squats. I lowered the box by 1-2 cm that i use to gauge my depth. Really felt the difference. It will be great to end this week with 100 kg to set a pr and squat my bodyweight. Just a shame (not really) that i am gaining weight, feel like a dog chasing its tale

OH press:
    5xbar
    5x30kg
    3x40kg

3x5x45kg <-- Finished all reps! This is where i got stuck last time but i finished all reps and felt i had a little more to give. Deloading works like mad!

Power Clean:
    5xbar
    5x40kg
    3x50kg

5x3x52.5kg <-- Form on the last rep was weak. I was absolutely exhausted. Tried to make up for it with one more rep which was even worse .

Chin ups: 3x8 on 16 <-- I read about how to perform chin ups properly so i decided to start on 16. Didnt finish all reps on the second and third set. They are so hard at the end of a work out. Will keep trying.

Reverse hypers: 3x8x15kg <-- A good ending of a great day. Was sweating like mad after doing these. They feel pretty good for my lower back.

Core work: 3x Plank while moving 5x2.5kg twice. Going to do planks from now on after reading the article about them. Pretty intense stuff!

A great day, i was sweating like mad and was pretty tired. I was really happy that i gained some weight after 2 weeks of not gaining anything. Just hope it is all muscle .

LuNa
    Really sore upper back this morning. Not sure why because i didnt do any different exercises. Maybe the way i was doing chin ups is much better. Will try some stretching today to minimize it.

LuNa

Just a little something

I just put on my one decent pair of pants and it almost bursted Bit of a double feeling because i know i am getting bigger, but it also means my waist is getting bigger. Not too bothered seeing as i now have a great excuse to wear my joggers! Cant wait to display some strength for my size tomorrow .

LuNa
    Squats:
    5xbar
    5x60kg
    3x80kg
    1x90kg

3x5x95kg <-- Heavy, but still doable. Really hope i can get two plates on Friday, it would be an awesome accomplishment for me.

Bench press:
    5xbar
    5x40kg
    3x60kg

3x5x65kg <-- Finished all reps. It was heavy but it was great finishing every rep. I kept my back really tight which i felt really helped.

Deadlift:
    5x70kg
    3x110kg
    1x130kg

1x5x132.5 <-- Grip was off on the last rep. They are heavy but my grip is the biggest problem. I am going to go up but be a bit more critical of my form. If it is off slightly i'll stay with this weight for a bit.

Dips: 3x8 on 9 <-- Failed on the last 3 reps of the third set. I love doing dips, they are pretty intense. Will increase it and see how i do next time.

Core work <-- planks

Pretty intense session. Really hope i can do two plates on Friday, that would be awesome! Diet has been really good and i am gaining weight pretty solid now that i have switched to whole milk and started drinking more of it. Easier to get my cals in. I thought bulking was pretty cool but after two months of stuffing yourself you get pretty bored with it, especially when trying to eat clean.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNalicious View Post
    Squats:
    5xbar
    5x60kg
    3x80kg
    1x90kg

3x5x95kg <-- Heavy, but still doable. Really hope i can get two plates on Friday, it would be an awesome accomplishment for me.

Bench press:
    5xbar
    5x40kg
    3x60kg

3x5x65kg <-- Finished all reps. It was heavy but it was great finishing every rep. I kept my back really tight which i felt really helped.

Deadlift:
    5x70kg
    3x110kg
    1x130kg

1x5x132.5 <-- Grip was off on the last rep. They are heavy but my grip is the biggest problem. I am going to go up but be a bit more critical of my form. If it is off slightly i'll stay with this weight for a bit.

Dips: 3x8 on 9 <-- Failed on the last 3 reps of the third set. I love doing dips, they are pretty intense. Will increase it and see how i do next time.

Core work <-- planks

Pretty intense session. Really hope i can do two plates on Friday, that would be awesome! Diet has been really good and i am gaining weight pretty solid now that i have switched to whole milk and started drinking more of it. Easier to get my cals in. I thought bulking was pretty cool but after two months of stuffing yourself you get pretty bored with it, especially when trying to eat clean.
    Great lifts man, looking heaps stronger! Yeah best of luck with the 2 plates, smash it! Its always a good feeling whacking another 20 on there and squat'n it

LuNa
    Squat:
    Warm-ups
    3x5x100kg <-- Heavy stuff, but finished it with good form. Really happy with two plates!

Overhead Press:
    Warm-ups
    3x5x47.5 <-- Failed on the last rep of the last set. Happy it was only one rep though. Will try and finish all sets next time.

Power Cleans:
    Warm-ups
    5x3x55kg <-- Form was a bit sloppy, more so during some sets than others. Was pretty tired so will try this week again and see if i can keep form better.

Didnt do any accessory work because i was pretty tired and felt like the three lifts were enough this time. Diet has been ok, with some solid weight gaining. Reading more on nutrition now to see if i can improve anything there. 10 kg to go before i reach my goal weight. Really hope i will be happy with the result at that point.

LuNa
    Great lifts man, looking heaps stronger! Yeah best of luck with the 2 plates, smash it! Its always a good feeling whacking another 20 on there and squat'n it
    Thanks Benno! It is a great feeling. That last rep seems to be the easiest because you are happy you finished all of them.

Nice work man, keep it up.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by depotman View Post
    Nice work man, keep it up.
    Thanks a lot depotman

Quote Originally Posted by LuNalicious View Post
    Squat:
    Warm-ups
    3x5x100kg <-- Heavy stuff, but finished it with good form. Really happy with two plates!

Overhead Press:
    Warm-ups
    3x5x47.5 <-- Failed on the last rep of the last set. Happy it was only one rep though. Will try and finish all sets next time.

Power Cleans:
    Warm-ups
    5x3x55kg <-- Form was a bit sloppy, more so during some sets than others. Was pretty tired so will try this week again and see if i can keep form better.

Didnt do any accessory work because i was pretty tired and felt like the three lifts were enough this time. Diet has been ok, with some solid weight gaining. Reading more on nutrition now to see if i can improve anything there. 10 kg to go before i reach my goal weight. Really hope i will be happy with the result at that point.
    Ahhh !! Smashed the two plates on squats. Got all 5 over 3 sets, good stuff! Keep going forward.

LuNa
    Woke up today with a pretty bad cold. My first one since i started weight training. My back is also a bit sore still and i didnt get a good sleep due to it. Will replace todays workout with some flexibility training and some core and cardio work. Bit pissed off that i have this cold, but i guess sometimes you take a step backwards to take a couple more forward.

LuNa
    Ahhh !! Smashed the two plates on squats. Got all 5 over 3 sets, good stuff! Keep going forward.
    Thanks for your support Benno! Really happy, because my goal is getting in reach.

LuNa
    First day back in the gym. Have been ill the whole week so it was good to be back. Was still feeling a bit crappy and out of breath. Should be 100% on Monday.

Squats:
    Warm ups
    2x5x100kg <-- Form was really sloppy and they felt really heavy. Decided to stop after 2 sets and give it another shot on Monday.

Benchpress:
    Warm ups
    3x5x60kg <-- Decided to go lighter on the other two and these felt really good.

Deadlift:
    Warm ups
    1x5x130kg <-- Felt awesome. During warm up i felt i had to throw up, but once i kept going the feeling went away. Awesome to be back.

Dips 3x8 on 8 <-- Failed on the last rip, but happy to be able to atleast almost finish all sets.

Lost 2.5 kg which i was really pissed off about. Diet has been off because i wasnt feeling well so i guess the weight should be back on in no time.

Good looking lifts there Luna. Keep up the hard work buddy.
    Goal:190lbs @ 10% bf by 2011
    Current Stats
    Height: 5'11
    Weight: 184
    TEXAS GOON HOCKEY!

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by TXslapshot View Post
    Good looking lifts there Luna. Keep up the hard work buddy.
    Thanks a lot slapshot!

LuNa
    Squat:
    Warm-ups
    3x5x90kg <-- Decided to take off 10 kg of my squat because i still wasnt feeling 100% and i rather do them with good form than not. Squats felt good though.

OH press:
    Warm-ups
    3x5x47.5kg <-- Failed on the last rep of the third set. Happy though, because i still have strongth on this even with a lower weight.

Power clean:
    Warm-ups
    5x3x55kg <-- Form was much better than last time. I will go for one more or go up if i feel better.

I decided to not do any accessory work because i was still feeling a bit ill. For some reason i can not get rid off my sore throat which is annoying to say the least. Will keep going and try and keep diet up to gain back the weight i lost.

Keep working hard on those squats bro. Good job!

Good work on your squats mate, it's a very good thing that you could take the ego hit and drop the weight a little to really focus on form.

BTW, which uni are you going to in sydney / where are you living roughly? I live in Sydney too.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

LuNa
    Thanks Benno!

Tom, University of Sydney. I live in Surry Hills, pretty close to Central Station. Where about are you?

I'm more out West mate, near Castle Hill.
    I study at UWS so that's even further away haha.
    USYD has a beautiful campus, I've been there with a few of my friends once or twice.
    There's going to be a powerlifting competition on in North Sydney next weekend that you may be interested in watching?
    Last edited by tomv; 07-07-2009 at 01:00 PM.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.