The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 118 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    LuNa
    Squat:
    Warm ups
    3x5x92.5kg <-- Heavy squats, but form is tight again. I started doing flexibility work again everyday which is such a great help.

Bench press:
    Warm ups
    3x5x65kg <-- Finished all reps. Had a spotter which was also good. Time to go up.

Deadlift:
    Warm ups
    1x5x135kg <-- Grip was off on the last rep so switched it to a mixed grip. Grip is really going up though, because i am no longer having a problem with 130kg, with an overhand grip.

Dips 3x8 on 8 <-- Failed after 5 on the last set. Felt pretty tired.

Pretty good day. Had a friend that came over from holland go with me to the gym. Felt rushed a bit sometimes but it was nice having someone spot me and such. Gained a bit of weight and getting most of my strength back now that my cold is at its end.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    I'm more out West mate, near Castle Hill.
    I study at UWS so that's even further away haha.
    USYD has a beautiful campus, I've been there with a few of my friends once or twice.
    There's going to be a powerlifting competition on in North Sydney next weekend that you may be interested in watching?
    Ah allright! Yeah the campus is deffinitely nice. I havent been to UWS, is it a bit similar?

The competition sounds good, could you give some more details?

LuNa
    Squat:
    Warm ups
    3x5x95kg <-- Felt heavy, but the speed of the bar was solid. I feel pretty good about dropping the weight down to get form down again. Getting more flexibility work in again compliments that nicely.

Bench press:
    Warm ups
    3x5x67.5kg <-- Finished all reps. Really happpy about that. Felt much more secure, because i really tried to keep my whole body tight. Going to try 70 which has been a short term goal for me for a while.

Deadlift:
    Warm ups
    1x5x137.5kg <-- Once again grip was off on the 4th rep. Switched to mixed for the 5th one and pulled it off. Cant wait to try and go for 3 plates on Friday. Good stuff!

Dips 3x8 on 8 <-- Failed on the last set after 4 reps. Was pretty spend. I like doing dips and my bench is going up so i am not too bother that i cant do 3 sets of 8 reps. Will keep on trying though!

Really happy to be 100% back again. Have some problems with a stupid schedule for school, but that ends on the 20th. Should have no problems with going a solid 3 times a week.

LuNa
    Squats:
    Warm ups
    3x5x97.5 <-- Good stuff. Still felt heavy which is a bit strange since i have done the weight before. The speed of the bar was still good and form was decent as well.

OH press:
    Warm ups
    3x5x47.5 <-- Really happy with this. I cant believe a couple of weeks i could not do 45 kg and this was actually not bad at all.

Power clean:
    Warm ups
    5x3x55kg <-- Form was off on the first set but got better as i went on. Will keep the weight here once more before going up.

Didnt do any accessory work because i was completely spent after these three. Really nice day. Looking forward to Friday which a lot of short term goals to be attained.

LuNa
    Squat:
    Warm ups
    3x5x97.5kg <-- Felt pretty good but still heavy. Kept the weight like this because i wanted to hit my pr on bench and deadlift. Will up the weight for next week

Bench press:
    Warm ups
    1x5x70kg
    1x4x70kg
    1x3x70kg <-- Eventhough i missed some reps i was really happy. Form felt really good, with everything tight. Has been a short term goal for a while so it feels good to have done it.

Deadlift:
    Warm ups
    1x5x140kg <-- I did it!!! Really happy about this. Had to switch to a mixed grip for the last two reps, but was still able to get it up. Really great!!!

Dips 3x8 on 8 <-- Failed on the 4th rep of the third set again. Was really spent after the main three, so i was not really suprised. Happy i did well on the other three!

Great day, really happy with the rest i will be getting this weekend, i feel like i need it.

LuNa
    I have had a pretty hectic week with assignments and such that i missed two sessions. Now that everything returned to normal i will be picking it up once again. I also decided to start a cut, because i dont like what i am seeing in the mirror anymore. I am setting up my diet and doing some more reading about nutrition and will start the cut next week. Cant wait to go back to the gym!

Remember that with a cut strength gains may slow down (though as someone who is fairly new to lifting you may get away with it). What course are you doing at USYD?
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    Remember that with a cut strength gains may slow down (though as someone who is fairly new to lifting you may get away with it). What course are you doing at USYD?
    I hope that when taking it slow in the beginning i might indeed get away with it.

I am doing a Master in Logistics Management. What are you doing?

Good to see everything coming back to normal luna. All the best!

Damn man havent stopped in here in awhile and i must say youre looking strong. Killer progress. Our Squat and Dead are real close to each other now too. Always good to have someone on the same level to add some motivation. Keep it up dude.
    Confidence ... Its The Food Of The Wise Man ... But The Liquor Of The Fools.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdonough9395 View Post
    Damn man havent stopped in here in awhile and i must say youre looking strong. Killer progress. Our Squat and Dead are real close to each other now too. Always good to have someone on the same level to add some motivation. Keep it up dude.
    Good to see everything coming back to normal luna. All the best!
    Thanks a lot guys. I will be spending a bit more time in the journal section so make sure you keep your work up :P.

LuNa
    Squat
    Warm ups
    3x5x100kg <-- So happy i decided to go for it again. I decided i was a bit scared of increasing the weight because it felt heavy. Decided to set the pins a little higher so i would be able to bail out. Finished all sets and the feeling was brilliant!

OH Press
    Warm ups
    3x5x50kg <-- Missed the last rep, but was really happy with the overall result. Will keep the weight the same and aim for finishing all reps

Power clean
    Warm ups
    5x3x55kg <-- I was pretty tired however i was still able to get 3-4 good sets. It is not so much heavy, it is more form and tiredness. Going to increase the weight once and see what happens. If form goes off much i am going to deload.

Incline bicep curl 1x8x16's Hate bicep work, hate it. After just squatting 100kg i dont want to use a 16kg dumbbell .

Farmer walk with 32 kg dumbbell Did 100 steps which was round the gym twice. I dont think they ever seen someone run around the machines like that.

LuNa
    The cut that i am starting on Monday is going to look like this. I am going to control carbs and increase fats. Protein will be high. My maintenance is around 3500 cals which i figured out during my bulk.

So i will start off with 3200 cals on workout days and 3000 cals on non workout days. I am trying to cut out anything processed or which is hard to measure/weigh.

Macros will be this for now but might be adjusted as i go on:
    P/C/F
    40/40/20
    Ideas for now are that i will have to increase protein and decrease carbs but i want to try this out.

Will be using Fitday again to track everything. Will also post start measurements and weight on Monday.

The goal of the cut is to go down to around 90 kg (200lbs) which means i have to drop around 20 kg (45 lbs). I have given myself around 4-5 months which comes down to 1 kg (2 lbs) a week on average. Some weeks can be a bit higher since i have a lot to loose. Really hope that i can do it in the time that i set.

More info will come!

Post some before pics. Front, back, sides, legs.

Its the best way to track progress besides the scale and it will help give us some insight as to where you are currently at.

As far as the diet goes.

Run what you have drawn out, see how your body responds. If you stall I would make the following changes.

I would shoot for 100-120g of fat, mostly healthy a day. Decrease carbs slightly and bump protein a bit.

Don't go for % macros but rather shoot for certain macro numbers. 120/150/275 might be a good start. You can then play with carb ups every 3-4 days and draw from either fat or carbs as your progress stalls. Always keep protein high.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

haha yeah! i know what you mean. good point, its gonna feel heavy cuz it is heavy. i like that.
    keep up the work, i'm liking your progress!
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    Post some before pics. Front, back, sides, legs.

Its the best way to track progress besides the scale and it will help give us some insight as to where you are currently at.

As far as the diet goes.

Run what you have drawn out, see how your body responds. If you stall I would make the following changes.

I would shoot for 100-120g of fat, mostly healthy a day. Decrease carbs slightly and bump protein a bit.

Don't go for % macros but rather shoot for certain macro numbers. 120/150/275 might be a good start. You can then play with carb ups every 3-4 days and draw from either fat or carbs as your progress stalls. Always keep protein high.
    Thanks a lot Unholy! Will post more details and pictures tomorrow. Its going to be really exciting to see what happens.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by nockits View Post
    haha yeah! i know what you mean. good point, its gonna feel heavy cuz it is heavy. i like that.
    keep up the work, i'm liking your progress!
    Thanks Nockits!

LuNa
    Squats:
    Warm ups
    3x5x102.5 <-- Felt really heavy, form was ok nothing special. Happy to have increased it again though.

Bench Press:
    Warm ups
    1x2x70kg
    1x2x70kg
    1x5x60kg <-- Think i was pretty tired after my squats. Also did not like the set up of the bench, something felt off. Will try again on Friday

Deadlift:
    Warm ups
    1x5x142.5 <-- Felt really good. Switched grips for the last 2 and could just grind out the last rep. Really happy with this especially after the heavy squats

Dips 3x8 on 8 <-- Failed on the 6th rep for the 2nd and 3rd set. Completely spend

Also wanted to do some ab work but was just too tired to do so. Will do it on workout B. Gym was also really busy so i need to start going earlier.

LuNa
    First day of the diet. Pretty good, still have around 700 cals left. Current macros are:
    F/C/P
    Total 2,494 101.8 165.4 217.4

Measurements will follow on Wednesday but here are some pics.

Good work on getting started on the cut mate, no time like the present, should be lookin leaner in time for all the chicky-babes in summer ;-)
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

LuNa
    Diet has been good for the last three days. I find it really surprising the effect that cutting carbs, upping fat has on my body. As stated before i am not new to loosing weight however, the last time i did it i was hungry all the time. At the moment i am fuller than i was on my bulk. Great feeling. Weight today was 108.7kg.

Squats:
    Warm ups
    3x5x105kg <-- I had my mp3 player on but i think i was grunting pretty bad seeing as people were staring at me. It was heavy, but what a great feeling after finishing the three sets.

OH press:
    Warm ups
    1x3x50kg
    1x5x40kg <-- Felt some soreness while warming up in my pecs and triceps. Did some stretching but the soreness remained. It was too much for 50kg so i dropped the weight a bit but the pain remained. Called it quits after the second set. I think it was DOMS from Monday and i dont really feel it now, so i am not too worried. A bit of rest should be fine.

Power clean:
    Warm ups
    5x3x55kg <-- Not finishing all sets of the press left me with enough energy for the clean. Form felt spot on and the weight felt light. Really happy seeing as form was sloppy the last couple of times which i now know was due to tiredness.

Measurements still have to come. Hope to get them on Friday or otherwise next week. I dropped around 800 grams since last Friday so i am right on schedule.

Pretty nice progression curve! Good luck with the cut Will be interesting to see how it goes, 4 months til those warm summer months
    She lied.... SIZE MATTERS!

Also I seen your post in Bennos BGB Journal.. Saying your fat ass cant do chins :P put it this way, get your ass doing chins and you'll get some big wide fat lats!
    She lied.... SIZE MATTERS!

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by musclemick View Post
    Pretty nice progression curve! Good luck with the cut Will be interesting to see how it goes, 4 months til those warm summer months
    Also I seen your post in Bennos BGB Journal.. Saying your fat ass cant do chins :P put it this way, get your ass doing chins and you'll get some big wide fat lats!
    Cheers mate! Deffinitely have to pick up doing chins again. Loosing a bit of weight should also make it easier to do .

LuNa
    Weight: 106.3

Pretty big drop, 3 kg in one week. It is mostly water weight though because i have increased the amount of water that i drink to feel a bit fuller during the day. The diet is going pretty well. I let myself have some carbs yesterday which felt pretty good. I havent touched alcohol in a week which feels great personally, however explaining why is getting old .

Squat:
    Warm ups
    2x5x100kg <-- Went a bit lighter because my shoulder was still a bit sore. I think i strained with benching with poor form and not doing enough reps. On a happier note, this weight finally felt pretty light.

Bench press:
    Warm ups
    3x5x60kg <-- Felt light and it didnt hurt. I am going to look at Dave Tate's video and try and perfect my form a bit. I feel that is where i went wrong. The weight might go up a little bit, just to keep it challenging.

Deadlift:
    Warm ups
    1x5x145kg <-- This felt really heavy and i had to give it all i had. Form was a little bit sloppy on the last three and i think i didnt lock out the third one properly. Will keep it here for next week.

Didnt do dips because of my shoulder.

The cut is making me feel great. I feel a lot leaner, hungry (its been a while) and not as bloated. I do notice more DOMS but ill have to get used to that. I am going to miss Mondays workout because of class (9 to 9) but maybe the rest will do my shoulder good. Will be hitting it 100% on Wednesday.