The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 69 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 2939
    LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    This definitely sounds like a solid plan. With the restricted calories you can't over due it. I overdid my cardio and my legs ended up shrinking up a bit by the time I hit the stage, especially my hamstrings.

HIIT, other cardio, and leg training can take a big toll on your legs on a restricted diet.
    You are right. The hard thing is, you dont notice it straight away. The first couple of weeks you feel fine but then it can catch up to you. This is all new to me so i need to be careful to not over do it.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    I like how you implemented different hand grips on the pullups. I have been doing that more and more as well. I do some wide grip pullups and then some pullups with a V-Bar as well. They both have a different feel from one another and both hit different parts of the back.

I have a few modifications to pullups that I need to video tape. I think the way I've been doing my wide grip pullups with a partial range of motion.
    Would be very interesting to see how you do these pull ups, because you added a lot of width when compared to last your. I like the different grips, they all feel slightly different. I do prefer chin ups and neutral grip pull ups over the more traditional pull ups.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by LuNa View Post
    Would be very interesting to see how you do these pull ups, because you added a lot of width when compared to last your. I like the different grips, they all feel slightly different. I do prefer chin ups and neutral grip pull ups over the more traditional pull ups.
    I honestly hate pullups/chinups lol. I can do plenty of them, but progression with them is such a pain in the ass, especially when bulking. When you get heavier and you are looking for more weight or reps every session progressing on those is such a pain.

I far prefer lat pulldowns. Progression isn't dictated by my bodyweight.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    I honestly hate pullups/chinups lol. I can do plenty of them, but progression with them is such a pain in the ass, especially when bulking. When you get heavier and you are looking for more weight or reps every session progressing on those is such a pain.

Hehe, i love them on my cut . I used lat pulldowns on my bulk but i didnt progress much on them and i didnt feel they hit my back that well.

I have made it one of my goals to be able to do sets of 10-15 with just BW, so im working towards that.

LuNa
    I went to see the new Pirates movie. Pretty entertaining, allthough the movie does have a different feel than the previous ones. Good movie nonetheless.

Went out for dinner afterwards. Had 1.5 rack of spareribs and some fries. Im not too worried about it as i had a great time with my girlfriend, which is more important than hitting my macro's for the day. Im sure it wasnt even too bad.

Going to have to move around my training days as it looks like i wont be able to train on Saturday. Will go in tonight for cardio.

How did the spinach riot go LOL. Stellar work on the pullups bud.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by john o View Post
    How did the spinach riot go LOL. Stellar work on the pullups bud.
    We were overshadowed by broccoli fanatics . Thanks a lot John!

Gonna go see that on Weds.

And you're right, having a great time with your gf is more important than a night's macros lol.

Keep up the good work mate!
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzyG View Post
    Gonna go see that on Weds.

And you're right, having a great time with your gf is more important than a night's macros lol.

Keep up the good work mate!
    Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks Gazzy.

i had a great time with my girlfriend, which is more important than hitting my macro's for the day.
    Gazzy beat me to it, but having some fun now and then is what it's all about. You pay your dues in the gym and the kitchen, but it wouldn't be worth it if you aren't having some fun too. Your lifting should enhance your life, so good for you.

Now get back on track...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I want to see Pirates as well but with movie tickets at $10 a pop in my area I'm going to skip pirates and instead see The Hangover Part II. Good choice to have a night out with the girlfriend and have some dinner, I think it's important to have some fun once in awhile as the others said. Great work on the workouts too LuNa. I agree w/ pull ups having a better feel than Lat pulldowns as well.

Banned

Lol this always cracks me up...like it is hard to step on a scale before you do them . Just keep track of total weight lifted, BW + plates, there is your progression.

No comparison between lat pulldowns and pullups for back development. Neutral pullups absolutely obliterate my lats. I actually find chins and neutral to hit my back harder than standard pullups. Seems like standard pullups have too much forearm involved.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 05-23-2011 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Lol this always cracks me up...like it is hard to step on a scale before you do them . Just keep track of total weight lifted, BW + plates, there is your progression.

No comparison between lat pulldowns and pullups for back development. Neutral pullups absolutely obliterate my lats. I actually find chins and neutral to hit my back harder than standard pullups. Seems like standard pullups have too much forearm involved.
    I love neutral grips, though I actually write them down as chins in my log - I feel them work the bi's big time.

And tbh I also feel my forearms pump massively whilst doing neutral grips - might be simply because of the very slippy grips meaning I have to hold on tightly.

DL205(451) | 220(484)

I have a new found love for spinach.
    Me too! In the last year or so I've developed a love for baby spinach...even bring a bag to work to have salads at work. I've even learned to tolerate broccoli as long as its fresh.

The pull ups are looking great man! You'll be banging out sets wit ha 45 attached at the waist in no time.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Gazzy beat me to it, but having some fun now and then is what it's all about. You pay your dues in the gym and the kitchen, but it wouldn't be worth it if you aren't having some fun too. Your lifting should enhance your life, so good for you.

Now get back on track...
    Thanks OR, went back on the diet track straight away

Quote Originally Posted by KIBBLES N BITS View Post
    I want to see Pirates as well but with movie tickets at $10 a pop in my area I'm going to skip pirates and instead see The Hangover Part II. Good choice to have a night out with the girlfriend and have some dinner, I think it's important to have some fun once in awhile as the others said. Great work on the workouts too LuNa. I agree w/ pull ups having a better feel than Lat pulldowns as well.
    I agree, movie tickets are getting quite expensive. Hangover trailer looked pretty good, allthough i wonder how much fun it will be as a second part. The first one was amazing though.

I used your ideas regarding progressing, alternating between BW and weighted, so lets hope it works well for both of us.

There is a good write-up regarding pull-ups and different grips hitting your lats better here:

If you want to do pull-ups, the only difference that your grip/hand placement makes is how favorable the angles are across your shoulder and elbow joints. Wide grip, palms facing away (pronated) pull-ups are the hardest for two reasons: One, your shoulders are at a bad angle, the lats (the prime movers) being put in a position that makes it harder for them to contract efficiently, and two, your forearms are rotated in such a way that your biceps cannot pull efficiently. So yes, these are harder than narrow-grip, palms facing you (supinated) pull-ups. But they're NOT a better exercise. The only reason to do them? If you're being tested on your wide grip, palms pronated pull-ups. Otherwise, stick to the easier, more comfortable exercise. Picture what your lats are doing in each motion. The SAME DAMN THING. In both cases, you're hauling your sorry carcass up from a hanging position, so you're doing the same amount of work. It's just hurting less.

I love neutral grips, though I actually write them down as chins in my log - I feel them work the bi's big time.

And tbh I also feel my forearms pump massively whilst doing neutral grips - might be simply because of the very slippy grips meaning I have to hold on tightly.
    Both my forearms and bi's get hit pretty hard. I have taken out any other bicep work because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    Me too! In the last year or so I've developed a love for baby spinach...even bring a bag to work to have salads at work. I've even learned to tolerate broccoli as long as its fresh.

The pull ups are looking great man! You'll be banging out sets wit ha 45 attached at the waist in no time.
    Good thinking, i could bring some to have with my shake . I

I hope so, i think its one of those things that sets weak apart from strong. Thanks John!

Banned

Try straps...

The thing I noticed about neutral/curl vs standard pullups is the opposite of what you find on the internet. They say neutral/curl works the biceps more...I actually find that it simply puts the biceps in a mechanically better position, so that your BACK actually tires before your biceps. As long as you still focus on pulling with your back, I find them superior to standard pullups for that reason.

LuNa

Cardio

40 mins on treadmill, same template as before.

Nautilus ab machine
    2x15x120

Hanging leg raises
    2x10xBW

Stretching

Try straps...
    Pfft nah - I'd rather have big Popeye forearms lol.

DL205(451) | 220(484)

same template as before.
    Consistant. Nice.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

LuNa
    Interesting read regarding the size of Powerlifters vs. Bodybuilders:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...n_powerlifters

One can appreciate well written and put together articles like this one, Thanks for sharing it.

House Lannister

No, not hard to step on a scale. However, balancing out your scale weight by putting weight on the belt is not optimal IMO. There is a difference (obviously) in how 5 lbs on your belt feels vs 5 extra lbs of food or whathaveyou. It changes the balance of the lift and pisses me off to no end. I hate variables like that. Hate hate hate. That's why I always make a distinction between PRs set at a different gym than normal. You can't apply the weight or reps performed at one gym with a different bar or different weights or different dumbbells or different benches to an entirely different environment and expect the same results.

Because of that variability, I don't do chins or pullups at the moment. Still a damn good exercise, but not that great for HIT-style training IMO.

It's funny though, the exercises I'm 'good' at relative to my other lifts I always drop lol. Dips--got up to 105x6-8 reps. Dropped em. Flat bench 250x2. Dropped. Chinups 70#x4-5, gone. Lmao. Finally hit 340 on squats. Gone. 110s in db benching for a few reps. Out.

I'm only happy if I'm doing exercises I suck at. Hence all the military pressing.

House Lannister

Just saw this. Damn good read. This quote sums up the differences in training perfectly:

Powerlifting has more to do with leverages, the nervous system, and technique refinement, while bodybuilding has more to do with aesthetics, symmetry, muscularity, and conditioning.

So fucking true. Not to say PLers can't be muscular (insert Invain example here) of course.

Banned
    I loved the article...great shit.

Banned
    No, not hard to step on a scale. However, balancing out your scale weight by putting weight on the belt is not optimal IMO. There is a difference (obviously) in how 5 lbs on your belt feels vs 5 extra lbs of food or whathaveyou. It changes the balance of the lift and pisses me off to no end. I hate variables like that. Hate hate hate. That's why I always make a distinction between PRs set at a different gym than normal. You can't apply the weight or reps performed at one gym with a different bar or different weights or different dumbbells or different benches to an entirely different environment and expect the same results.

Because of that variability, I don't do chins or pullups at the moment. Still a damn good exercise, but not that great for HIT-style training IMO.

It's funny though, the exercises I'm 'good' at relative to my other lifts I always drop lol. Dips--got up to 105x6-8 reps. Dropped em. Flat bench 250x2. Dropped. Chinups 70#x4-5, gone. Lmao. Finally hit 340 on squats. Gone. 110s in db benching for a few reps. Out.

I'm only happy if I'm doing exercises I suck at. Hence all the military pressing.
    Really? I was RPing them with no issues. Maybe I am just good at them or something. I guess I can consider myself advanced since I can do 3 reps with 80 pounds hanging off my 230 pound body. I just love neutral grips...I do a slow negative on the way down and it feels like my lats are going to explode. Never have I gotten this feeling from lat pussydowns. I can see how the heavier BBers prefer rack chins instead though. I still don't get how that movement works though...I felt nothing in my lats.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 05-24-2011 at 01:09 PM.