The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 70 of 118 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 2939
    House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Really? I was RPing them with no issues. Maybe I am just good at them or something. I guess I can consider myself advanced since I can do 3 reps with 80 pounds hanging off my 230 pound body. I just love neutral grips...I do a slow negative on the way down and it feels like my lats are going to explode. Never have I gotten this feeling from lat pussydowns. I can see how the heavier BBers prefer rack chins instead though. I still don't get how that movement works though...I felt nothing in my lats.
    I had no issues with RPing them on the HCT-12 template, but trying to get an increase from 4-6 reps or from 6-8 reps was a bitch and not consistent at all when straight setting. I'm not a huge RPing fan outside the context of DC.

It's a good exercise and I felt it, but progression=results for me so if I don't see progression consistently I drop a bitch. Simple as that. . They also seemed to bother my elbows somewhat the last time I did them, but that was also likely due to the elbow issues I was having from squats.

I prefer lat pulldowns.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    I had no issues with RPing them on the HCT-12 template, but trying to get an increase from 4-6 reps or from 6-8 reps was a bitch and not consistent at all when straight setting. I'm not a huge RPing fan outside the context of DC.

It's a good exercise and I felt it, but progression=results for me so if I don't see progression consistently I drop a bitch. Simple as that. . They also seemed to bother my elbows somewhat the last time I did them, but that was also likely due to the elbow issues I was having from squats.

I prefer lat pulldowns.

I really dont like RPing them. I feel its not enough volume to allow for decent progression. This could also be because i cant do that many of them so...

For some reason RPing pull downs did feel good and allowed for progression. I guess doing them both would be best.

LuNa
    Good mornings
    6,2,2,2x110kg (240lbs) (PR)

GHR
    2x8xBW

Smith Hack Squat
    6,2,2,2x90kg (200lbs)

Back raises
    10xBW+10kg (20lbs)
    12xBW+20kg (45lbs)

Last time i did good mornings i got 200lbs for 6 so i was pretty happy with this. I love the hack squats. I used a belt this time and they felt very solid. Great exercise, thanks Ryan

Did back raises with weight because people were using the cable station. I prefer doing pull throughs but i did get a good back pump.

Sleep Im still having a difficult time falling a sleep. Im considering using ZMA to help with sleep, but have read mixed reviews. I know Behemoth has posted about ZMA not doing anything before.

Diet Same as ever, nothing too exciting. Adding the oats pre workout was a great move and makes a big difference. I really love how nutrition can completely change performance.

Note Starting to see a four pack when i flex, pretty damn exciting!

LuNa
    Just saw this. Damn good read. This quote sums up the differences in training perfectly:

Powerlifting has more to do with leverages, the nervous system, and technique refinement, while bodybuilding has more to do with aesthetics, symmetry, muscularity, and conditioning.

So fucking true. Not to say PLers can't be muscular (insert Invain example here) of course.
    I find the following statement a bit strange:

"Can we simultaneously train for both powerlifting and bodybuilding and thereby achieve a win/win situation? In other words, by incorporating a bit of both can you maximize strength and size?

The authors of this article believe that you can't."

I thought that the consensus was that a mix of both would be able to provide you with a best of both worlds. Im getting more and more interested in a moderate volume, higher rep bodypart split.

LuNa
    Another interesting "spill" about leg development which i am finding myself gravitate towards more and more.

http://www.t-nation.com/strength-training-topics/1103

Garage Lifter
    Nice PR on the GMs Luna. Gotta stop reading T-Nation
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LuNa View Post

"Can we simultaneously train for both powerlifting and bodybuilding and thereby achieve a win/win situation? In other words, by incorporating a bit of both can you maximize strength and size?

I thought that the consensus was that a mix of both would be able to provide you with a best of both worlds. Im getting more and more interested in a moderate volume, higher rep bodypart split.
    Don't post that on IM LOL.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 05-25-2011 at 07:34 AM.

Banned
    Good mornings
    6,2,2,2x110kg (240lbs) (PR)

GHR
    2x8xBW

Smith Hack Squat
    6,2,2,2x90kg (200lbs)

Back raises
    10xBW+10kg (20lbs)
    12xBW+20kg (45lbs)

Last time i did good mornings i got 200lbs for 6 so i was pretty happy with this. I love the hack squats. I used a belt this time and they felt very solid. Great exercise, thanks Ryan

Did back raises with weight because people were using the cable station. I prefer doing pull throughs but i did get a good back pump.

Sleep Im still having a difficult time falling a sleep. Im considering using ZMA to help with sleep, but have read mixed reviews. I know Behemoth has posted about ZMA not doing anything before.

Diet Same as ever, nothing too exciting. Adding the oats pre workout was a great move and makes a big difference. I really love how nutrition can completely change performance.

Note Starting to see a four pack when i flex, pretty damn exciting!

That is exciting!

House Lannister

Yea, that was a little weird to me too. However, the point I'm gathering from that is that one should focus their training one one's goals. In other words, a bodybuilder doing Sheiko or Westside is a poor choice, same with a powerlifter doing something like HST.

4-day bodypart splits with moderate volume are pretty solid IMO. Chest/legs/shoulders/back is a solid split and would let you squat/deadlift in the same routine. If I were to change up my program, that's probably what I would go to.

I have a hard time not getting bored with more volume, however. For me, I'm all about intensity. In fact, if someone told me I could achieve better results with more volume and had proof that I could through some sort of testing, I wouldn't give a shit. It doesn't fit my personality. Every day in the gym is a 'competition' against myself. It is mentally and physically taxing and I love it and wouldn't trade it for any other style of training.

The only way I could do higher volume would be to put more exercises on a given day, so leg day would have leg press AND hack squats or smith squats so that I can still go for PRs on each separate exercise. That's how I would do it. I couldn't do endless sets of

Another interesting "spill" about leg development which i am finding myself gravitate towards more and more.

http://www.t-nation.com/strength-training-topics/1103
    Too true.

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Shelby's Spill is gold. The rest of the guys suck. The forum is decent, however. Lot of big guys and very straightforward on training for size.

LuNa
    Thanks Matt. I know i should . Im just a tad bored at work. Going to move into a different position next week which should see me get a lot busier. So no more time to read

LuNa
    I have a hard time not getting bored with more volume, however. For me, I'm all about intensity. In fact, if someone told me I could achieve better results with more volume and had proof that I could through some sort of testing, I wouldn't give a shit. It doesn't fit my personality. Every day in the gym is a 'competition' against myself. It is mentally and physically taxing and I love it and wouldn't trade it for any other style of training.
    I agree, i would rather add a couple of sets doing a different exercise than do 5-6 sets on one.

Garage Lifter
    Thanks Matt. I know i should . Im just a tad bored at work. Going to move into a different position next week which should see me get a lot busier. So no more time to read
    Just giving you a hard time. You're smart enough and have enough experience to smell the bullshit over the interwebz. Liky Chevy said though, Shelby's stuff is very good
    Last edited by StLRPh; 05-26-2011 at 06:55 AM.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Going to move into a different position next week which should see me get a lot busier. So no more time to read

Congrats, I think...

And congrats on the 4pack!!! That is awesome and exciting news for sure!

LuNa
    Just giving you a hard. You're smart enough and have enough experience to smell the bullshit over the interwebz. Liky Chevy said though, Shelby's stuff is very good
    I used to go back and forth between protocols with every article i read, so i do need to read with caution .

I really like Shelby's stuff, wish we could get him over here .

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    Congrats, I think...

And congrats on the 4pack!!! That is awesome and exciting news for sure!
    Thanks. I have been in my last position for half a year and it wasnt much of a challenge. My new position looks to be more difficult and will be a good step in my career, so im very excited to get started.

Its weird seeing ab definition when you have never had it before. I really feel i need to get used to the fact that im actually not that fat anymore.

LuNa

Cardio

35 mins of HIIT, same template as i used before.

No training today as my gym is closed. Not feeling too bad about it because my legs are tired and sore and im happy to spend a night on the couch.

No training today as my gym is closed. Not feeling too bad about it because my legs are tired and sore and im happy to spend a night on the couch.
    There's nothing wrong with that!!! Getting some rest will probably do you good.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

A day on the couch does sound nice. Congrats on all the progress you've been making.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    There's nothing wrong with that!!! Getting some rest will probably do you good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    A day on the couch does sound nice. Congrats on all the progress you've been making.
    Thanks guys. Im still getting in my 5 sessions a week so i guess its all good.

House Lannister
    35 mins of HIIT, same template as i used before.

What's it closed for?

My gym is closed on Monday for US Memorial Day. It doesn't affect me because I'm off that day anyways, but I hate it when gyms close for holidays. Stupid.

LuNa
    What's it closed for?

My gym is closed on Monday for US Memorial Day. It doesn't affect me because I'm off that day anyways, but I hate it when gyms close for holidays. Stupid.
    Owner is getting married .

Same here, i normally try to swittch days/plan around it like i did this time.

Great new PR with the GMs!!

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Great new PR with the GMs!!
    Thanks Coke!

LuNa

Week 21

AM Weight: 95.0kg (209lbs) -0.7kg (-1.5lbs)

Lost a bit more weight this week which could potentially be from not carbing up on the weekend. Im not feeling flat at all though and my energy is still good so will go at least another week without a refeed.

Diet will remain the same for the coming week.

Looking forward to going to the gym tonight. Not going yesterday felt very unnatural.

Lots of good news with the PR, 4 pack, and new job. You've earned each one!