The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 105 1231151101 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

LuNa

A Dutchie's Journey Towards Strength

First of all, a bit of background information. I was born in The Netherlands and i am now 22 years old, 6" 1 and 220 lbs. I have had this weight for a long period of time (since i was 15, give or take). When i was 17 i decided i was done being that heavy and i dropped 55 lbs. It all slowly came back on when i went to university. I have never done any real weightlifting or sports, except for the occassional game of squash.

In January of this year i moved to Australia to attend university there and i decided it was time for me to change. I started working out, without any knowledge thinking i would be big within a week. How wrong i was.

I am now four weeks into Starting Strength after being directed to that program by Nockits. It has become pretty clear that i am incredibly weak for my weight. I see guys half my weight lift double the amount of weights i am. It is pretty frustrating sometimes, but i keep trying. Maybe i am just being a little bitch, so i really need to get a grip.

I decided to start a journal so i can keep an eye on my progress and to maybe get some help from you guys who have already helped me so much. So, here it goes.

Today was workout B of the program so i started with
    Squats
    5xbar
    5xbar
    5x20kg
    5x40kg
    3x50kg
    1x52.5kg

3x5x55kg <-- i was really tired after doing these

Press
    5xbar
    5xbar
    5x10kg
    5x15kg
    3x20kg
    1x22.

3x5x25kg <-- failed on the first set after 3 reps, second set after 2, third after 1. Third time i am doing this weight and it just does not seem to get stronger.

I have been doing the row instead of the power clean because i read that without a coach it would be really difficult to get proper form down. However, with trying to be less of a little bitch i tried to do the power clean today. Not sure what the reps were at first (trying to nail the form) but i am sure i did the following:
    5x3x20kg

Was not able to do my chins because 4 people were hogging the assisted machine and i cant do them by BW alone. First week of doing dips and chins btw.

Diet: 3300 Kcals, 294 grams of protein.
    Last edited by LuNa; 09-28-2009 at 05:42 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

LuNa
    Squats:
    5x2xbar
    5x20kg
    5x30kg
    5x40kg
    3x50kg
    1x55kg

5x3x57.5kg <-- squats felt solid, will increase them again with 2.5kg

Benchpress:
    5x2xbar
    5x10kg
    5x20kg
    3x30kg
    1x37.5

5x3x40kg <-- A lot better than on Monday. Will increase with 2.5kg on Wednesday

Deadlift:
    5x40kg
    5x60kg
    5x80kg
    3x90kg
    1x95kg

1x5x97.5kg <-- Form was a lot better. Need to work on it a bit more, but will increase with 2.5kg for Wednesday

3x8 assisted dips

Pretty solid workout, going to double my squat and i have not been doing it for long, so pretty happy.

Wannabebig Member ChickenLegs83's Avatar
    Keep at it, bro.

Don't worry about what anyone else is doing and just hit your sets hard.

Just go to class, eat, train, sleep and repeat.

Also, I wouldn't advise doing clean without proper coaching.

Olympic lifts and their variations are very form intensive and shouldn't be self-taught.

Look into picking up video if you can't find a local instructor.
    Last edited by ChickenLegs83; 05-22-2009 at 01:53 AM.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenLegs83 View Post
    Keep at it, bro.

Don't worry about what anyone else is doing and just hit your sets hard.

Just go to class, eat, train, sleep and repeat.

Also, I wouldn't advise doing clean without proper coaching.

Olympic lifts and their variations are very form intensive and shouldn't be self-taught.

Look into picking up video if you can't find a local instructor.

Thanks mate! I have already been reading on the clean, watching numerous videos and taking it slow to get the form down. It does feel like it is too good of an exercise to not do so i really want to get the form down and start doing it.

Wannabebig Member ChickenLegs83's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LuNalicious View Post
    Thanks mate! I have already been reading on the clean, watching numerous videos and taking it slow to get the form down. It does feel like it is too good of an exercise to not do so i really want to get the form down and start doing it.
    Good to hear.

hey bud, looking good. i'm assuming the weights your listed are excluding the bar weight? keep in mind that the bar is another 45lbs (20kg?), so you can add that directly to the total.
    keep it up, you're gonna be a monster! i was in your shoes not too long ago!
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

LuNa
    Thanks Nockits! Yeah everything is without the weight of the bar. Do people normally post their results incorporating the weight of the bar? Can't wait till tomorrow!

LuNa
    Squat:
    5xbar
    5x20kg
    5x40kg
    3x50kg
    1x55kg

3x5x60kg <-- Squats felt great. Upping the weight once again.

OH press:
    5xbar
    5x10kg
    5x15kg
    3x20kg

3x5x25 <-- failed in the first set after 4 reps. Went down to 20 and finished the other two sets. Cannot seem to increase the weight on this exercise. I will stay at 20 untill it becomes really easy.

Power Clean <-- practiced alot with the bar. Then did 3x5x20kg and the last set was the best with much better form. I am going to keep the weight like this until i really have the form down for every rep.

OVerall, pretty good workout, lots of sweat!

LuNa
    Awesome workout today. Everything felt right. Form was good and the gym was quiet.

Squat:
    5xbar
    5x20kg
    5x40kg
    3x50kg
    1x60kg

3x5x62.5kg <-- Form was a bit off on the last rep of the second set. Third set felt great, form was much better. Increasing it again.

Benchpress:
    5xbar
    5x10kg
    5x20kg
    5x30kg
    3x35kg
    1x40kg

3x5x42.5kg <-- Failed in the first set after the third rep. Dropped the weight to 40kg and finished the second and third. Will try this weight again next week.

Deadlift:
    5x50kg
    5x70kg
    5x80kg
    3x90kg
    1x95kg

1x5x100kg <-- Felt awesome. Form was better, got my ass down a little which was necessary. Will be increasing this next week.

3x8 Assisted Dips on number 13 <-- Completed all sets so will try next week on number 12

Diet was off on Tuesday and was lacking a bit of sleep on Monday night so will have to pick it up today. Good thing i am starving!

LuNa
    Squat:
    5xbar
    5xbar
    5x20kg
    5x40kg
    3x60kg
    1x62.5kg

3x5x65kg <-- I am really starting to feel proud of my squats. It is not that impresive yet, but when i started i could not do 40kg for 3 reps. When i was warming up with 40kg it felt super light. Increase!

OH Press:
    5xbar
    5xbar
    5x10kg

3x5x20kg <-- felt good, form felt a little bit different, better. Gonna give it one more shot on 20kg and make it feel really easy.

Power Clean:
    5xbar
    5xbar
    5xbar
    5x10kg

5x3x20kg <-- Form was sooo good imo. It even felt really light. Will start increasing it SS style from now on and see where that will take me.

Chin ups: 3x8 on number 15 assist. Did all reps so will try and go on 14 next time.

Did not gain weight this week which gives me the idea i could be eating more. It feels really strange for someone that sees themselves fat to eat 4000 calories. Going to give it a shot and see where that takes me.

lookin good bro! keep it up!
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

LuNa
    Didnt have time to update yet, so here is yesterdays workout.

Squat:
    5xbar
    5x40kg
    3x60kg

3x5x65kg <-- Felt heavy, but i am sure i could do more. Hopefully i will smash the 80kg by Friday, which means that i can squat my own bodyweight if you add the weight of the bar. Would be really happy with that.

Benchpress:
    5xbar
    5x20kg
    3x40kg

3x4x45kg <-- Failed the last rep in all three sets. Was still happy that i could do 4 each set. I really need to have a look at my form here because i am not using leg drive yet. Pretty sure i could improve by rereading this part in SS.

Deadlift:
    5x50kg
    3x90kg
    1x100kg

1x5x110kg <-- Felt so good doing this. Was really happy i did this. Felt the bar slip at the 4th rep so i switched to a mixed grip for the 5th one. Next goal will be 120kg and a longer term goal is 150kg because that will be three plates!

Dips: 3x8 on 10 <-- Failed on the last rep of the third set. They felt good and i really look forward doing these without the assistance of the machine.

Did not gain weight again however i did have some stomach problems on Thursday which made me spend the most of the day with the white porcelain. Might have made the difference. Will see if i can gain a kilo next week.
    Flexibility work is awesome. I feel so much more secure in the hole. Also feel that my deadlift is better now because me back does not round that much anymore. Thanks Sensei for the stretches!!

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by nockits View Post
    lookin good bro! keep it up!
    Thanks a lot Nockits!

LuNa
    I decided to add the weight of the bar to all my weights to get a better representation of what i am lifting. That means that 20kg will be added to all lifts.

Squats:
    5xbar
    5x60kg
    3x80kg

3x5x90kg <-- Heavy squats. I lowered the box by 1-2 cm that i use to gauge my depth. Really felt the difference. It will be great to end this week with 100 kg to set a pr and squat my bodyweight. Just a shame (not really) that i am gaining weight, feel like a dog chasing its tale

OH press:
    5xbar
    5x30kg
    3x40kg

3x5x45kg <-- Finished all reps! This is where i got stuck last time but i finished all reps and felt i had a little more to give. Deloading works like mad!

Power Clean:
    5xbar
    5x40kg
    3x50kg

5x3x52.5kg <-- Form on the last rep was weak. I was absolutely exhausted. Tried to make up for it with one more rep which was even worse .

Chin ups: 3x8 on 16 <-- I read about how to perform chin ups properly so i decided to start on 16. Didnt finish all reps on the second and third set. They are so hard at the end of a work out. Will keep trying.

Reverse hypers: 3x8x15kg <-- A good ending of a great day. Was sweating like mad after doing these. They feel pretty good for my lower back.

Core work: 3x Plank while moving 5x2.5kg twice. Going to do planks from now on after reading the article about them. Pretty intense stuff!

A great day, i was sweating like mad and was pretty tired. I was really happy that i gained some weight after 2 weeks of not gaining anything. Just hope it is all muscle .

LuNa
    Really sore upper back this morning. Not sure why because i didnt do any different exercises. Maybe the way i was doing chin ups is much better. Will try some stretching today to minimize it.

LuNa

Just a little something

I just put on my one decent pair of pants and it almost bursted Bit of a double feeling because i know i am getting bigger, but it also means my waist is getting bigger. Not too bothered seeing as i now have a great excuse to wear my joggers! Cant wait to display some strength for my size tomorrow .

Nice work man, keep it up.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by depotman View Post
    Nice work man, keep it up.
    Thanks a lot depotman

Good looking lifts there Luna. Keep up the hard work buddy.
    Goal:190lbs @ 10% bf by 2011
    Current Stats
    Height: 5'11
    Weight: 184
    TEXAS GOON HOCKEY!

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by TXslapshot View Post
    Good looking lifts there Luna. Keep up the hard work buddy.
    Thanks a lot slapshot!

LuNa
    Squat:
    Warm-ups
    3x5x90kg <-- Decided to take off 10 kg of my squat because i still wasnt feeling 100% and i rather do them with good form than not. Squats felt good though.

OH press:
    Warm-ups
    3x5x47.5kg <-- Failed on the last rep of the third set. Happy though, because i still have strongth on this even with a lower weight.

Power clean:
    Warm-ups
    5x3x55kg <-- Form was much better than last time. I will go for one more or go up if i feel better.

I decided to not do any accessory work because i was still feeling a bit ill. For some reason i can not get rid off my sore throat which is annoying to say the least. Will keep going and try and keep diet up to gain back the weight i lost.

Keep working hard on those squats bro. Good job!

Good work on your squats mate, it's a very good thing that you could take the ego hit and drop the weight a little to really focus on form.

BTW, which uni are you going to in sydney / where are you living roughly? I live in Sydney too.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

LuNa
    Thanks Benno!

Tom, University of Sydney. I live in Surry Hills, pretty close to Central Station. Where about are you?

I'm more out West mate, near Castle Hill.
    I study at UWS so that's even further away haha.
    USYD has a beautiful campus, I've been there with a few of my friends once or twice.
    There's going to be a powerlifting competition on in North Sydney next weekend that you may be interested in watching?
    Last edited by tomv; 07-07-2009 at 01:00 PM.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.