The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Westside Barbell ME Bench *Video*

Here's video from today's workout.

We used doubled purple bands today which add a little over 200 at the top.

The reason we did bands instead of straight weight is for a couple reasons, but the biggest being it helps you work on technique for touching. As the bands get lighter towards the bottom, the weight becomes less and less (duh right?) which forces you to improve your technique to make it touch. This way, when we head towards these weights (750+) straight weight, touching is a piece of cake.

The other thing is that the bands really work the lockout at the top.

Usually lifters will develop speed off the chest and use that momentum to help them get to lockout. With these bands, they really seem to kick in all of a sudden and take your momentum out (or at least partially).

One thing that popped into my head today is lifters don't think about why they are doing a particular ME exercises. I spend a good amount of time watching video and figuring out how to best attack my weaknesses in my next workout and I really think this is a huge part of my progress in the gym. If you don't know why you are doing said exercise, either come up with a reason (so you can replicate this exercise when you hit the same problem down the road) or drop it and find one that makes sense.

Now...here's the video

Video

WESTSIDE BARBELL
    "Often Imitated. Never Duplicated"

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Dr. Dudley-Robey DrDudley-Robey's Avatar
    Great Lifting!
    Edward G. Dudley-Robey, M.D.
    www.DoctorBench.com

That video is impressive. I agree with what you said about this exercise. I got away from doing it for some stupid reason even though it was working. I started doing more reverse band, and it doesn't work as well.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Good lifting Travis you are right in the way you think.I love how you figure out where you need work thru a max effort excercise thats something i need to really look at i kinda just been picking a excercise for the day and doing it i need to really look at what i need to hit.

In your opinion are the purple bands best for a Max effort Bench? reason i ask is because you said that you feel that these take the momentum out of the movement right away.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    That video is impressive. I agree with what you said about this exercise. I got away from doing it for some stupid reason even though it was working. I started doing more reverse band, and it doesn't work as well.
    Each has it's different purpose. Reverse bands are excellent for putting heavy weight in your hands. That 585 is 785 give or take at the top. 785 is a number I can easily bench right now so it's not really an overload, rather the doubled purple bands work on speed, technique and lockout

The reverse bands are good for overload, still make you focus on technique near the bottom (since they do make it lighter at the bottom) but they actually increase speed instead of slowing you down and allow you to lift more.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik 23 View Post
    Good lifting Travis you are right in the way you think.I love how you figure out where you need work thru a max effort excercise thats something i need to really look at i kinda just been picking a excercise for the day and doing it i need to really look at what i need to hit.

In your opinion are the purple bands best for a Max effort Bench? reason i ask is because you said that you feel that these take the momentum out of the movement right away.
    Don't even focus on what weight you need to hit, rather look at your weaknesses and focus on improving them, regardless of the weight used. If your weaknesses get stronger, your overall press will in turn get stronger.

As for the bands, it depends. Sometimes doubled purples can be too much for raw lifters depending on the quality of their technique and strength level. Some people will be better suited to the doubled minis, monster minis or the like. I would start with the doubled minis and go from there. 200+lbs of tension (the purples) feels like a ton more than 200 lbs because it's forcefully pushing down on you

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Man you can see the tension from those bands. Strong!

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Each has it's different purpose. Reverse bands are excellent for putting heavy weight in your hands. That 585 is 785 give or take at the top. 785 is a number I can easily bench right now so it's not really an overload, rather the doubled purple bands work on speed, technique and lockout

The reverse bands are good for overload, still make you focus on technique near the bottom (since they do make it lighter at the bottom) but they actually increase speed instead of slowing you down and allow you to lift more.

Don't even focus on what weight you need to hit, rather look at your weaknesses and focus on improving them, regardless of the weight used. If your weaknesses get stronger, your overall press will in turn get stronger.

As for the bands, it depends. Sometimes doubled purples can be too much for raw lifters depending on the quality of their technique and strength level. Some people will be better suited to the doubled minis, monster minis or the like. I would start with the doubled minis and go from there. 200+lbs of tension (the purples) feels like a ton more than 200 lbs because it's forcefully pushing down on you
    Ok thanx for the response travis ima shoot you a pm pretty soon your making so much progress man you are definately doing something right.

I beat I can handle it raw travis
    Best Raw Squatter and Sponsored by the Best AtLarge Nutrition, Titan, and APT.

Travis,

I agree with your points. Everything has a time and place if you train for long enough. I need more speed in a shirt, so benching against bands is better for me.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong51 View Post
    I bet I can handle it raw travis
    LOL kong you crack me up. Was that an open challenge?? I'd love to see a vid of that in about a week, you're stuff is always pretty inspiring.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong51 View Post
    I beat I can handle it raw travis
    Handle what? The purple bands raw? I'm sure you could. You're a stronger raw bencher than I am and I've used the purple bands raw

Handle what? The purple bands raw? I'm sure you could. You're a stronger raw bencher than I am and I've used the purple bands raw
    ...I think he was just jiving you, though I could be wrong..

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    ...I think he was just jiving you, though I could be wrong..
    LOL He was, but I was trying to egg Rob (kingkong) into doing them

One thing that popped into my head today is lifters don't think about why they are doing a [/I]
    [/SIZE]

See, this is why I suck! Another great vid Travis, always much appreciated to see what you guys are doing

I need to bring my butt to westside. You think Louie can watch a video of my deads and help me with my weaknesses?
    Best Raw Squatter and Sponsored by the Best AtLarge Nutrition, Titan, and APT.

Travis,

Aren't bands more detrimental to a raw lifter?

Seems to me, most raw lifters struggle at the bottom of the lift and are better at the lockout. The bands make it light at the bottom of the lift so you're never working on your strength in that portion of the lift but you're increasing your strength at the top tenfold.

Seems to me bands and such are awesome for guys who lift geared and not so much for those who don't. Any info you're willing to share here will be awesome. I looked into getting bands (as a raw lifter) and I thought twice about it because of the issue above...
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    Travis,

Seems to me, most raw lifters struggle at the bottom of the lift and are better at the lockout. The bands make it light at the bottom of the lift so you're never working on your strength in that portion of the lift but you're increasing your strength at the top tenfold.

Seems to me bands and such are awesome for guys who lift geared and not so much for those who don't. Any info you're willing to share here will be awesome. I looked into getting bands (as a raw lifter) and I thought twice about it because of the issue above...
    People always assume a raw lifter is weak off the bottom. That isn't always true.

The other thing is raw lifters need to develop speed as well.

Couple years ago, I got out of my shirt and did nothing but raw work. I cycled mini bands, monster minis, purples and reverse green bands and my raw bench went from 450 to 515 in about 5 months.

You can still build your power off the bottom by using things like cambered bar bench and DB bench.

Also, don't worry, there is still plenty of tension at the bottom LOL. They don't just let off. It's just that when you are heading up, it really kicks in harder

Nice work Travis.

Banned
    Thats some crazy band tension

awesome video... and awesome exercise. Looks fun.
    Proudly sponsored:
    EliteFTS - APT Pro Straps - Spud Inc. - LG Sciences

Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    Travis,

You would think that ,but i used to use bands a lot and i am weak at the bottom but it still got me stronger than free weights do. It builds your stretch reflex and gets you used to heavier weights.

Went up easy Travis Awesome
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

UPA Lousiana Chairman Eric Downey's Avatar
    Thats some heavy stuff
    CLASH FOR CASH RAW504 SEPT. 11, 2010 KENNER, LA CLICK FOR INFO
    Eric "BIG EZY" Downey
    RAW BENCH BEST: 523 Raw Unity 2010
    RAW UNITY VID
    RAW TOTAL BEST:534.5 - 507 - 556.5 1598 APA Raw Nationals 2010
    534 SQUAT
    507 BENCH
    556 DEADLIFT
    Facebook YOUTUBE

simply amazing. Just curious..... how often do you guys train shirted vs raw?

That exercise is worth trying!!!!!!!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By: