Thread: How much Dextrose is too much Dextrose?

How much Dextrose is too much Dextrose?

I started out taking 30 grams of it (with milk) and 40-50 grams protein. Now I have upped the dextrose to 50 grams (in orange juice) and 50 grams protein. I feel much better. Is this enough for me to just keep doing it. Is 50 (or I guess more like 70 with the orange juice) grams of carbohydrates too much? I love the better pump from more carbs (I'm guessing a better insulin spike?). Don't want to be doing myself a disservice with it though.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Seeing as muscles' primary source of energy is glycogen, I don't think you're doing yourself a disservice. Is this your pre-work out drink?
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

post workout sometimes I sip a little bit of it before I lift though for some energy (if I haven't had a lot of carbs recently).

holy **** I experimented with 100g of dextrose today. 50 grams of dextrose + 50 grams of protein a half hour before workout. Then 50 grams of dextrose 50 grams protein after workout. Its an hour or so after workout and my muscles are pumped. Its ridiculous, it feels so good. Visibly larger than they usually are.

I've been really staying on protein every day but now I think I'll have to focus on getting good amounts of carbs in too. This feels great!
    Last edited by joey54; 05-21-2009 at 03:38 PM.

wow ok I think 100g might have been too much. Shortly after my insulin spike I got like crazy energy, I think I might have gone hyperglycemic (opposite of what people with insulin deficits get). Might want to back it down in the future

Please just take one! MadScientist's Avatar
    Split it dextrose and maltodextrin 60/40 and 50g protein
    I am primarily a bodybuilder, not a PL. Any advice given will be from the primary POV of a bodybuilder, and not a PL.
    Less than a half decade lifting, read this - http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...ing_Primer.htm

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    wow ok I think 100g might have been too much. Shortly after my insulin spike I got like crazy energy, I think I might have gone hyperglycemic (opposite of what people with insulin deficits get). Might want to back it down in the future
    That crazy energy is the 'other' hormone your body uses to regulate blood sugar; adrenaline.

The solution is to drink more water when that's happening. IMO, this is a very good sign that your body is sensitive to insulin.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

yeah I think you're right. You know what it felt exactly like an adrenaline rush, more sustained but exactly that feeling.

MS, I'll experiment with maltodextrin soon.

A maltodextrin / dextrose mix may stabilize things a bit as they break down at different rates.

I have done 50-60 grams of dextrose pre-workout without any issues, 100 grams may be too much though. It really depends on the person (size, overall diet, insulin sensitivity, etc.)
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 05-22-2009 at 01:51 PM.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com