Thread: Pushups helping with bench?

Pushups helping with bench?

Ive heard now from 2 people that if you do pushups every day that you can up your bench faster and also form your pecs faster. Is there any truth to this and would it be a good idea just to do like 3x10 of pushups everyday?

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

They're full of ****.

Depends on what your benchpress / BW is.
    If you can't bench 135 and you weigh 135... maybe. But after about 6 months of training pushups will no longer be nearly as beneficial as benchpress and other assistance exercises.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    Depends on what your benchpress / BW is.
    If you can't bench 135 and you weigh 135... maybe. But after about 6 months of training pushups will no longer be nearly as beneficial as benchpress and other assistance exercises.
    Yeah I cant bench even close to my bodyweight. I rep with 100 and weigh 205. Benching by far is my worst lift, dont really know why either.

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

I doubt 3 sets of 10 pushups would do anything more then help with recovery. I know CrazyK has pushups as part of his chest work and he has a pretty ridiculous raw bench, so maybe try PMing him.

I do not see it helping with hypertrophy (which is what I presume you meant when you said forming your pecs).
    Last edited by Sidior; 05-20-2009 at 06:49 PM.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Wannabe Fit.
    I do three max sets of pushups daily (right when I wake up, after breakfast, before bed), Im not really sure if it has affected my bench. Its progressing as it has been for the last weeks.
    "We get stronger by improving our weaknesses" - Detard

Well in your specific case you may see a slight improvement, but that's because you rep about 50% of your body weight. Once you get your max up around or above your BW doing pushups will really only make you better at doing pushups. I do a few before my bench sets just to get some blood going and sometimes on my off days as part of complexes for cardio(very rarely).
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

큰남자/Kun Namja
    Can you handle pain?

If so, try this:

1. Rep 105 as many times as possible without assistance

2. Within 2.5-5 seconds jump off the bench and do as many pushups as possible

3. Wait a minute.

4. Do it again.

But don't go bonkers with this too often. I'll do it once every 2 weeks and I won't do more than 2 sets per exercise like this.
    Just cuz I'm a teacher, don't mean I'm a pussy.

Currently wrapping up The Eternal Cut.

Quote Originally Posted by icnelly View Post
    Can you handle pain?

If so, try this:

1. Rep 105 as many times as possible without assistance

2. Within 2.5-5 seconds jump off the bench and do as many pushups as possible

3. Wait a minute.

4. Do it again.

But don't go bonkers with this too often. I'll do it once every 2 weeks and I won't do more than 2 sets per exercise like this.
    WHY?

큰남자/Kun Namja
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    WHY?
    Drop Sets

How to use drop sets

Super Sets

Why not?

It makes no sense. Why 105? Using that logic taking 1lb and pressing it a zillion times mixed with a ton of pushups would get me jacked. Doing something like that is just going to beat the **** out of you one time and **** up your normal recovery. I even understand the idea of shocking the system to promote muscle growth (which I think is garbage anyways) but he is clearly a novice trainee and just needs to stick with the basic movements, proper recovery and eating to get stronger and grow.

As my ridiculous deadlifter friend Sidior said, I incorporate all kinds of push ups in my workout. It's great for a horizontal pressing movement that activates the core. However like any exercise you'll need to raise the resistance some how. That's where push ups can be limited but I've benched 500 raw and still have not outgrown pushups and their variations.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

큰남자/Kun Namja
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    It makes no sense. Why 105? Using that logic taking 1lb and pressing it a zillion times mixed with a ton of pushups would get me jacked. Doing something like that is just going to beat the **** out of you one time and **** up your normal recovery. I even understand the idea of shocking the system to promote muscle growth (which I think is garbage anyways) but he is clearly a novice trainee and just needs to stick with the basic movements, proper recovery and eating to get stronger and grow.
    I'm def. not promoting a zillion rep sets or anything of that nature. 105 was the number the OP wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Slayer
    I rep with 100 and weigh 205. Benching by far is my worst lift, dont really know why either.
    Err...I mean 100 was the number the OP wrote. That's why I plugged it in. Not for some other arbitrary/insane reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior
    he is clearly a novice trainee and just needs to stick with the basic movements
    Can you get more basic than a pushup?

I simply like incorporating body weight movements into strength training. They are easy to practice, you don't need anything expensive to do them, AND they can complement weighted exercises in numerous ways.

EDIT: Qoute
    Last edited by icnelly; 05-20-2009 at 10:16 PM.

I'm def. not promoting a zillion rep sets or anything of that nature. 105 was the number the OP wrote:

Err...I mean 100 was the number the OP wrote. That's why I plugged it in. Not for some other arbitrary/insane reason.

Can you get more basic than a pushup?

I simply like incorporating body weight movements into strength training. They are easy to practice, you don't need anything expensive to do them, AND they can complement weighted exercises in numerous ways.

EDIT: Qoute
    Haha wow. Clearly my reading comprehension is not that high at night. You are correct, what you suggested would be a different way to add pushups into his routine.

Once again, I am very wrong lol.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by bass slayer View Post
    Ive heard now from 2 people that if you do pushups every day that you can up your bench faster and also form your pecs faster. Is there any truth to this and would it be a good idea just to do like 3x10 of pushups everyday?

No, there's no truth to that. Upping your bench depends on a lot of other things as well. And muscles do not form any faster than your individual physiology permits. As for doing 3x10 of pushups everyday...it may not hurt, but I don't see it helping all that much to warrant that time and effort.

Banned
    360 posts and this...

Mr. Bass Slayer, listen to me. I spent 2 years as a member of the forum without posting anything. Why? Because I didn't know anything. You will benefit so much more from reading than asking these silly questions.

I PROMISE if you read all the training stickies, articles, etc. these questions will be answered for you.

To answer the question, push ups are not going to dramatically increase your bench, though they are not going to hurt it either.

큰남자/Kun Namja
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyK View Post
    I incorporate all kinds of push ups in my workout. It's great for a horizontal pressing movement that activates the core. However like any exercise you'll need to raise the resistance some how. That's where push ups can be limited but I've benched 500 raw and still have not outgrown pushups and their variations.
    Do tell. Do tell. How do you incorporate pushups?

If you are doing 3 x 10 pushups and are exhausted and aching at the end, then it is probably a good thing you are doing. If you are getting a good workout from them, by all means, keep going. Do them every night before you go to bed, then do 3 x 15, then 3 x 20, 25, 30, 35, 40...

In 6 months when you are doing 3 x 40 and you look back and think, "Man, I was doing 3 x 10 before," you will realize how much stronger you were and be glad you did them.

Banned
    Benching by far is my worst lift, dont really know why either.
    You're 6'4", how long are your arms?

Banned
    Ive heard now from 2 people that if you do pushups every day that you can up your bench faster
    Faster than what? Faster than not doing pushups? I doubt that.

Is there any truth to this and would it be a good idea just to do like 3x10 of pushups everyday?
    I would do that only if you want to get better at doing pushups. I've read somewhere, but don't remember where, when doing a pushup its like pressing about 60% of your body weight. IMHO, there's no way this is going to help raise your bench unless you're benching less than 60% of your body weight.

I used to practice taekwondo ( I'm a 3rd degree black belt ), and because of that I used to do tons of pushups, but my max bench back then as nothing compared to now that I've stopped taekwondo and started powerlifting.

Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b View Post
    If you are doing 3 x 10 pushups and are exhausted and aching at the end, then it is probably a good thing you are doing. If you are getting a good workout from them, by all means, keep going. Do them every night before you go to bed, then do 3 x 15, then 3 x 20, 25, 30, 35, 40...

In 6 months when you are doing 3 x 40 and you look back and think, "Man, I was doing 3 x 10 before," you will realize how much stronger you were and be glad you did them.
    I agree with this. A very healthy conditioning exercise. I don't know why people knock on pushups. They are great simple exercise. Especially if they're hard to do 3x10 with strict form...then you're going to benefit from training them. You get diminishing returns though once you have been training them for a few weeks. I'd say you could do these every single day of your life (BW chinups also). Its just good healthy conditioning.

I would say a routine of:
    pushups
    chinups
    farmer's walks
    reverse woodchoppers

that would be a great little routine to do every single day (don't push the weight too hard, just make it a conditioning thing).
    Last edited by samadhi_smiles; 05-21-2009 at 09:04 AM.

i think its not entirely dependent on weight pressed. When youre outside of the gym how sedentary is your lifestyle? Do you do anything that would hit the chest? I keep saying it but i made the largest gains while i worked basically as a furniture (except it was electronics mostly TV's) mover. Wakeup;gym;work for 8-10 hours;home;sleep. i would think doing a little work outside of the gym would get the blood flowing to those areas and help with muscle gain. Just my .02 from personal experience.
    Last edited by Skalami; 05-22-2009 at 03:56 PM.