The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: extreme pain!

extreme pain!

hey,
    I have been lifting for about 3 years, and lifting serious for about a year and a half. Here is my problem, i normally live in chicago and went down to my moms house in florida to stay for the whole summer. i was working out yesturday..bench no problem, then i went to the pec dec thing..and did about 2 sets no problem, then raised the weight did about 2 reps, then all of a sudden a pain shot through my spine up to my head...and it felt like my head was going to explode(worst pain i have EVER felt in my life). so i went home..hot tub and felt better.

The next day i went to do back, and started lat pull downs..did about a set and a half..and again with the pain, worse pain ever. I thought maybe i could work through it. I started rows, and again the exteme pain on my head but worse because i decided to work through it(i feel like an idiot).

This is wierd because i have never felt a pain like this before in my life, i would like to know has anyone experienced it, and what could it be.

Not sure if this would effect it but i will tell u the supplements im taking...
    Argine
    Glutamine(sp?)
    creatine
    and wieght gainer

My diet
    Tons on food, mainly fish, and red meats, with vegatables..but at the end of the day, adds to be almost 4k calories with teh weight gainor.

My mom wanted me to see a doctor, but i wanted to see if it hurt again tomorrow, and i wanted to see ur guys (or girls) advice first.

Thanks for everything,
    Adam

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Don't work through agonizing pain. See a doctor. Your supplements wouldn't have caused this.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Nice thread title. But ouch!

The fact that it's up your spine to your head is horrible. Never **** around with your nervous system man!

Quote Originally Posted by arya202
    Nice thread title. But ouch!

The fact that it's up your spine to your head is horrible. Never **** around with your nervous system man!
    Only when you're drinking or doing drugs =).

Occupational Hypnomania
    When doing pec deck? man go see a doctor.

you might have really nudged a nerve root, and sent the pain to your head. But yes go see a doc. and stop training for now.
    how is your form also?
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

ya i was thinking my form might have been messed up..then i did a test with lighter weight..perfect form..and it still happened

If it's still happening, you did something bad. Go see a doctor.

might be from not breathing when im doing really heavy weights i forget to breath and get a sharp pain.
    Stats

Current(May1st) (June8th) Goals(September 1st)
    Bench 245 -------255-----300(reached 225x6 june 14th)
    Squat 350 -------injured----450
    Deadlift 315 ------injured----370

height 5"11
    weight 185(stay at 185)
    40(tested 4/19/06)4.75

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

^^

Stop forgetting to breathe.

Wannabebig New Member
    Do a Google search for EIH -- Exercise Induced Headache.

I've had that experience just a few times in my life, and when I did it took a number of days to get rid of residual pain when working out. It is exactly as you described. Instant and intense pain. Nothing at all like a typical headache.

Years ago an accomplished lifter/trainer told me about EIHs. Basically he said it's from an extreme spike in blood pressure because of either not breathing correctly or gripping the bar/machine too hard or just tightening up too much during a hard effort. He said the EIH is your body's physical warning -- it's extremely painful and occurs very quickly out of the blue so you stop the activity causing it. If you didn't, you could get a stroke. Very serious stuff.

Over the years, when I had my few EIHs they usually were on a seated chest press. But the first time I ever had one was during the last few reps of a hard set of Nautilus Leg Extensions. In fact, one of the first published Nautilus books had a sentence in the description for the leg extension warning about headaches and telling people not to grip the handles too tightly and to breathe normally.

On a couple other occasions when doing a hard set and on the last few reps, I felt a lot of tension building up in the back of my neck and in the traps area. Pressure in the head, too. I knew I needed to address it right then and there before another EIH happened. You might notice the same kind of thing someday, since you've now experienced such a headache. Be aware of anything that doesn't feel right -- it's a quick buildup right before the EIH blasts you.

Anyway, for a week or so you may feel some pain with exertion. Take it easy and be careful, and make sure you think about your form, grip and breathing. Since it was on a pec dec you may not have been gripping anything, but the breathing and tension must have been building. Also, it would be a very good idea to see a doctor asap to get your bp checked and make sure it isn't something more serious.

This is a long post but I felt the need to address this with as much detail as possible. It's not something to take lightly.

My first post here, BTW.

Man, I remember those few EIHs. Horrible stuff.

Bill

EIH will not cause shooting pain up through the spine.

Why would you even post a question like this? Get thee to a physician!
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Boson
    I used to have these headaches while doing flat bench press (I didn't know they were called EIH until I read this thread). I found a webpage describing that the pain is triggered by the extreme tension of the neck muscles. By consciously relaxing the neck and breathing properly during the reps, my pain went away slowly, and now I don't feel any EIH at all anymore.

I'm bringing up an old thread because I have recently been experiencing what I think are exercise induced headaches. I was doing a set of barbell curls when it first happened (about 2 weeks ago?) and on the last rep or two when I was really straining I had a horrible pain in my head like I had really bad brain freeze (like you get when drinking or eating something cold too fast). The headache lingered for a day or two but when I've strained on a lift really hard ever since then I feel the pressure building and I get a headache. I got another EIH yesterday when I was in the gym and again it was sudden pain. I've take some aspirin sometimes and it seems to help, but I just want it to go away. I'm going to get it checked out if it continues, but has anyone else had this happen?
    Last edited by Guido; 05-22-2009 at 01:01 PM.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I decided to try to incorporate jump roping into my regimen. Before taking a 2 year hiatus from lifting, I'd jumped rope on a regular basis, and could go about 15-20 minutes no problem.

First time back at the gym jumping rope, the exact same thing happened to me, about 45 seconds in. Sudden shooting, throbbing pain in my head, extremely intense. It went away after a few minutes on the bike, but would happen again every time I started to jump rope. Suffice it to say, I don't jump rope anymore.

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this. I did read something that weightlifting and plyometrics are common causes of it, so I guess jump roping would fall under plyo.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Yeah man, it sucks. I think I remember reading somewhere that it might be due to not having your body warmed up enough before beginning an exercise, but no guarantees on the truth value of that. Even after jogging for five minutes and going to jump rope, it would happen.

The weird thing is, any other HIIT I've done hasn't caused it to happen...dunno what's so special about jumping rope.

i've experience this before when i've been loaded up on caffine or haven't had sufficient sleep and tried to perform a ME session.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    For those who suffer from EIH...here are some suggestions.

http://www.relieve-migraine-headache...-headache.html

Note that they also advise seeing a doctor if this is the first time you've had one.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 05-21-2009 at 07:39 PM.

I've only had EIH when i've gone in WITH a mild headache to start with. I'm not a fan of painkillers, so I never take them for headaches - until it gets that bad (I know, thats the dumbest thing I can possibly do). Maybe time to have a BP test if they become a little more frequent.

Thanks, everyone.

I went to the doc this morning. They asked me a lot of questions and I got blood drawn. I'm going to get an MRI next week, too. Doing some more reading I don't think it's anything like a brain tumor since I don't have any of the other symptoms. It's quite possible it could be caused from tenseness or muscle spasms in the muscles of my upper back near the spine which could be causing referred pain. They actually prescribed me a muscle relaxant to take before bed to see if that helps. That would explain why it's been triggered by pullups and standing curls where there is a lot of neck and upper back strain involved and also why it's lingered. I'm gonna take today's workout off and see if it starts to diminish over the long weekend.
    Last edited by Guido; 05-22-2009 at 01:12 PM.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Do a Google search for EIH -- Exercise Induced Headache.

I've had that experience just a few times in my life, and when I did it took a number of days to get rid of residual pain when working out. It is exactly as you described. Instant and intense pain. Nothing at all like a typical headache.

Years ago an accomplished lifter/trainer told me about EIHs. Basically he said it's from an extreme spike in blood pressure because of either not breathing correctly or gripping the bar/machine too hard or just tightening up too much during a hard effort. He said the EIH is your body's physical warning -- it's extremely painful and occurs very quickly out of the blue so you stop the activity causing it. If you didn't, you could get a stroke. Very serious stuff.

Over the years, when I had my few EIHs they usually were on a seated chest press. But the first time I ever had one was during the last few reps of a hard set of Nautilus Leg Extensions. In fact, one of the first published Nautilus books had a sentence in the description for the leg extension warning about headaches and telling people not to grip the handles too tightly and to breathe normally.

On a couple other occasions when doing a hard set and on the last few reps, I felt a lot of tension building up in the back of my neck and in the traps area. Pressure in the head, too. I knew I needed to address it right then and there before another EIH happened. You might notice the same kind of thing someday, since you've now experienced such a headache. Be aware of anything that doesn't feel right -- it's a quick buildup right before the EIH blasts you.

Anyway, for a week or so you may feel some pain with exertion. Take it easy and be careful, and make sure you think about your form, grip and breathing. Since it was on a pec dec you may not have been gripping anything, but the breathing and tension must have been building. Also, it would be a very good idea to see a doctor asap to get your bp checked and make sure it isn't something more serious.

This is a long post but I felt the need to address this with as much detail as possible. It's not something to take lightly.

My first post here, BTW.

Man, I remember those few EIHs. Horrible stuff.

Bill
    Great post. Glad to know the proper name for it now. I always called it weight lifters head ache. I haven't suffered from it in years but god does it hurt.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB