The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

bicep curl negatives?

have any of you tried bicep curl negatives. I dislike doing curls cause I never really see much gain from them to be honest. My arms have gotten bigger just by eating more and doing compounds. But recently I started doing 3x5 bicep curl negatives after my chinups and I feel like they really torch my bicep. I've already seen a little growth on them and I hope it should keep up with more work.

Basically grab a barbell that is way too heavy to curl and sorta reverse grip clean it up to the 'up' position (kinda hard to explain but you use momentum to get it up). Then lower it down SLOWLY (like 4-5 seconds for the eccentric lower). Then 'clean' it back up and repeat 4 more times. Damn they torch my biceps.

anybody tried em

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yeah I've done them... I've done 4 sets of 6 after 2 supersets of preacher curls, cable curls, and chin ups...
    When I die. I want to be frozen. And if they have to freeze me in pieces, so be it. I will wake up stronger than ever, because I will have used that time, to figure out exactly why I died. And what moves I could have used to defend myself better now that I know what hold he had me in.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Yea, you can do them to improve the eccentrically contracted muscles. And eccentric contracting is what is most responsible for doms so thats why they're feeling "torched"
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Yea, you can do them to improve the eccentrically contracted muscles. And eccentric contracting is what is most responsible for doms so thats why they're feeling "torched"
    I understand that an eccentric contracting is one that's considered a negative because the weight is causing the muscle to lengthen, but i don't understand how you are getting that it is the cause of DOMS?

Granted an eccentric contraction produces a much higher force than a concentric contraction, but DOMS is a result of the break down of muscle fibers or a response to a new exercise (which would still be a result of the breakdown of muscle fibers) which is caused by both eccentric and concentric movement contractions.
    Last edited by Cards; 05-22-2009 at 02:51 PM.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

I've done them. I liked it, good useful technique

Here is an article about how to catch up your lagging body part (you could try it on biceps)

http://www.36pounds.com/2009/04/14/h...st-body-parts/

Best of luck