Thread: JRider23's journal

JRider23's journal

hey guys.. i have had 3 workouts and recorded these on my own; here it is

Workout 1

i just finished my first workout.. nobody was at the squat rack, so i got in my squats and deads pretty quick.. it felt good just knowing i was doing the 2 best exercises and it was damn funny when some people looked at me like the odd man out at the squat rack. the only question i have is whether it is normal for your back to hurt after squatting (not really my back but the place where you rest the bar? it kind of went away, but it hurt a lot when i rested the bar on it. i wanted to get a better idea of how much i could squat and dead so i did another set. i know i could get more deadlifting, but squatting took a lot of my power.

Squats:
    45x5
    65x5
    85x5
    95x5

Deads
    45x5
    85x5
    95x5
    105x5

DB Bench
    30x5
    35x5
    35x5

Dips
    1x8
    1x8
    1x8

Workout 2

i went in and some guy (around 23, and really jacked) was using the squat rack for shrugs.. i waited for 2 minutes and i saw him head over to the dumbbell rack. he left the weights on, so i went up to him and asked if he was still using the rack and he said yes.. i decided i would wait, and i picked up some dumbbells and did DB Bench/Row.. during this time, douche biggalow (as i am going to call him) was using the smith machine for bench press. he was putting up 350 and his form was horrible (feet off the ground, using his back, etc etc). as i went over to the rack to hit up some squats, he ****ing stopped mid rep and cut in front of me to shrug.. i was pretty ****ing pissed, but this dude is about 6'3 and pure muscle. i didn't think he could be there forever, so i did some russian twists with a 10 pound weight, then 25 pound weight when i found out that was too light, followed by 2 planks (only 45 seconds). finally, he left the gym and i squatted/deadlifted. never have i seen such a huge douche bag. however, there were like 10 other people lifting (6 were benching) so i have to remind myself to go to the gym around 4:15.

ust got home from the gym and downed my moms salad with tons of veggies and feta cheese along with a nice protein shake. the workout wasn't as planned, but i think it went okay.

i went in and some guy (around 23, and really jacked) was using the squat rack for shrugs.. i waited for 2 minutes and i saw him head over to the dumbbell rack. he left the weights on, so i went up to him and asked if he was still using the rack and he said yes.. i decided i would wait, and i picked up some dumbbells and did DB Bench/Row.. during this time, douche biggalow (as i am going to call him) was using the smith machine for bench press. he was putting up 350 and his form was horrible (feet off the ground, using his back, etc etc). as i went over to the rack to hit up some squats, he ****ing stopped mid rep and cut in front of me to shrug.. i was pretty ****ing pissed, but this dude is about 6'3 and pure muscle. i didn't think he could be there forever, so i did some russian twists with a 10 pound weight, then 25 pound weight when i found out that was too light, followed by 2 planks (only 45 seconds). finally, he left the gym and i squatted/deadlifted. never have i seen such a huge douche bag. however, there were like 10 other people lifting (6 were benching) so i have to remind myself to go to the gym around 4:15.

again, my workout was pretty ****ty/didn't go as planned, but at least i am getting into the habit of going... next time i am going to do my Day 2 (i didn't feel like doing BB rows after the DB rows, and

DB Bench- 35x5, 40x5, 40x5
    DB Rows- 35x5, 40x5, 40x5
    Russian Twists- 2x20 (10 pound weight), 1x20 (25 pound weight)
    Planks- 2x45 seconds
    Squat- 45x5, 85x5, 105x5, 115x5
    Deadlift- 45x5, 115x5, 145x5
    DB press- 20x5
    Chinups- i got 3 my first 2 times, 3rd time i got 4, and i knew i could do another one so on the 4th i busted out 5

oh and i tried standing military press with 20 pound dumbbells and only did 5 reps... those were harder than i ****ing thought lol.. is it going to be damn hard for me to start with OH Press?
    Last edited by JRider23; 05-22-2009 at 03:41 PM.

Workout 3

i bolded the questions.. thanks to anyone who helps me out it's much appreciated.

just got home from the gym.. today felt like a great workout, and i found rows to be damn hard for the first time..

oh, and my legs were shaking like hell while i was doing the rows. is this normal for the first time or is it even like this every time or was i doing something wrong?

I then proceeded to doing 1x5 overhead press (bar) until a guy who is a family friend i know asked to get in some curls... he is about 3 times bigger than i am, and he is a really nice guy so i let him in.. then, he asked me how to deadlift, so i showed him. i let him try some (only 65 pounds) and he had literally the worst form i had ever seen. he didn't keep his back straight, did them stiff legged but bent down way too far.. and then he tried to clean and jerk in one motion. i didn't want him to throw out his entire body, so i showed him how to do deadlifts and then clean and jerk. and i swear i fell in love with the exercise. instead of finishing up my OH Presses, i did clean and jerk (with the OH press at the end, i think that is what they are called).. i ended up doing

65x5, 75x5, and 85x5... i had so much fun doing them, and really felt how explosive the exercise was. i ended with dips.. by the time i got to dips, my arms were practically falling off. i went for 2x8, and on the 3rd i only got 5 so as i was walking out of the gym, i really wanted to finish the 3 for me to feel complete.. my arms were soooooo shot i only got 2 in, but i really felt it and feel great right now.

Squat.. 45x5, 95x5, 115x5, 125x5
    Row.. 45x5, 65x5, 75x5, 85x5
    OH Press.. 45x5
    Clean/Jerk.. 65x5, 75x5, 85x5
    Dips.. 2x8, 1x5, 1x2

this was only my 3rd workout.. and now i realize this probably wasn't a great workout because of the fact i went against my routine and did virtually no pressing (well i did press at the end of the clean) compared to the pulling (rows, and cleans).. would it be okay to have something like this in my workout if i get rid of the press?? i don't want to get rid of the OH Press though because i have heard so many awesome things about it.. would doing it in the clean be the same or not because you gain momentum from the clean?.. and are you supposed to use legs to help you with the OH press like a little bit? i wasn't using my legs much at all while pressing up.

thanks to anyone who helps
    Last edited by JRider23; 05-22-2009 at 03:40 PM.