Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Met with a personal trainer...analysis his advice for me.

Quote Originally Posted by nockits View Post
    That's what I thought. She must have looked at me and saw her paycheck. I told her I used to play football and wrestle (which I didn't) and that I already knew how to lift weights. Then she was pissy with me and when she sees me at the gym doesn't even say hi or smile.
    Last edited by SuperTerrorizer; 05-23-2009 at 07:25 AM.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbbell View Post
    From what I've seen that's what's pushed in all these so-called "fitness" gyms. The PT's are usually given a 2hr. class by the gym that hired them and bam their certified! They're hired based on their level of attractiveness and nothing more. They want everyone using the machines in a circuit style routine with no rest between sets. That way people are in and out of the gym quickly and no one is at any given station for too long. That way the gym seems less crowded and they are able to pack in more members. It's basically a business model. All about separating people from their money. And if the person feels like they burned up the box of effin cookies they ate on their way over well then job done. That's why the "training" is always free for a few sessions when you join. They want to teach you how they want you to work out. It's better for the bottom line that way. Most people just want to feel like they got off their a$$es anyway. That's why they still look the same year after year. They didn't learn about squats and deadlifts in that two hour class, so they can't help you. You ever notice that they seem like they're quoting off some script they have memorized. God forbid you ask them something that wasn't part of their schpeel. They pretty much freeze up right on spot, like "Does not compute." Besides they don't want you clanking the iron on the floor over in the corner scaring off the soccer moms. They like it when their biggest concern is that some schmoe didn't wipe his sweat off their brite shiny machinery. It's the same everywhere unfortunately. It happened in the 80's when fitness clubs became big business. Now it's all about the $$$.

Sorry about the rant. Everyone here already knows this stuff.

"When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks.'" --Henry Rollins.

There. I'm done.
    Sad but true, its part of why im getting out of the training business i refuse to feed my clients the BS they want me to and its causing a conflict of interest, i have all my clients squatting deadlifitng, lunging pressing, rowing ohp pullups and the whole 9 and they have been getting great results,

but they want me to push their "fitness done right" bull**** and take money and not get results i figure im not cheap so my results have to be good and fast because its what im getting paid for, and its gone from delivering a good service to just basically get more numbers, screw off ill go work business to business if i want to push numbers when i work with people i like seeing results and smiles and accomplishment
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

willnoble:

if you think having your CSCS means nothing im curious to find out what DOES mean something then?
    the grass could be greener, and itll always be greener on the other side, but you just never know....this could be the one

Quote Originally Posted by the one View Post
    willnoble:

if you think having your CSCS means nothing im curious to find out what DOES mean something then?
    I'm not will, but I'll take a stab:

In the context of being a capable trainer/coach:
    *knowledge
    *meaningful experience
    *ability to motivate
    *empathy

...none of which have much to do with a paper or online test. I've known great coaches with zero "qualifications", and horrible ones with all the right letters after their names.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I'm not will, but I'll take a stab:

In the context of being a capable trainer/coach:
    *knowledge
    *meaningful experience
    *ability to motivate
    *empathy

...none of which have much to do with a paper or online test. I've known great coaches with zero "qualifications", and horrible ones with all the right letters after their names.
    Wholeheartedly agree. Just last week a friend of mine who is completing her bachelors in exercise science (3rd year) told me about a lady in her class who weighs about 135lbs and can leg press 600lbs, even though she doesn't train legs. I asked how the feck was that possible.. Her response? "She's a pilates instructor, she's got incredible core strength".
    Soon enough she will have a string of letters behind her name that will make her look to be a far more qualified coach then I am. At least I know core strength and no leg training won't give you a 600lb leg press.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by the one View Post
    willnoble:

This was answered quite adequately above, but the fact remains, the CSCS is a single test from a single book. I know some pure dumbasses that have their CSCS. Are there some smart CSCS's? Absolutely

but in all reality it tells you nothing about them, The proof is in the pudding.

Quote Originally Posted by WillNoble View Post
    This was answered quite adequately above, but the fact remains, the CSCS is a single test from a single book. I know some pure dumbasses that have their CSCS. Are there some smart CSCS's? Absolutely

but in all reality it tells you nothing about them, The proof is in the pudding.
    But I thought the CSCS was the end all be all of training? And that book could have anything you ever wanted to know?
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

attaining a CSCS is not just one test it actually requires a bachelors in a related feild therefore 4 years of college as well as the CSCS cert.. i would venture to guess that no one who responded works in the field would that be a correct assumption?
    the grass could be greener, and itll always be greener on the other side, but you just never know....this could be the one

The CSCS requires a bachelor's but, unless they've changed their prerequisites, it does not need to be in a related field.

I don't know why you assume no one here works in the field... I'm not real wild about writing out a resume for every swinging **** that comes around.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyK View Post
    But I thought the CSCS was the end all be all of training? And that book could have anything you ever wanted to know?
    I'd rather be certified through the USAW or something. A lot of articles published by the NSCA and ASCM are pretty embarassing.
    Last edited by Kastro; 05-25-2009 at 08:06 PM.