The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

How's my new workout?

I'm trying to come up with a great workout for whole body 3 times a week. I am thinking of this:

Workout A

Squat 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    Lunges 5x5
    Reverse flies 3x10 (bettering my posture, B. Press and O. Press tend to round you)

Workout B

Deads 5x5
    Barbell Rows 5x5
    DB Rows 5x5
    Pull ups 5x5
    French Press 3x10

I might add some periodization, like doing all exercises (of a workout) 3x10 on Friday..

Whatcha think?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Why don't you just use one of the pre-made 3-day routines like SS or one of the WBBs?

Quote Originally Posted by Gymjunkie View Post
    I'm trying to come up with a great workout for whole body 3 times a week. I am thinking of this:

Workout A

Squat 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    Bent Over Row 5x5
    1-2 sets of acessory work

Workout B
    Deads 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    Pull ups 5x5
    1-2 sets of acessory work
    better
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

sucks that you OH press after you bench press. You won't be able to give the OH press your all and progress will stall before it would have if you focused on each separate days. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dlew View Post
    Why don't you just use one of the pre-made 3-day routines like SS or one of the WBBs?
    Wanna learn how to create good routines myself.. Experimenting and learning too...

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    better
    Damn... 3 exercises seem too little. It would take me like 30 mins to complete it.. I love being in the gym and I try to stay there for 45-60 mins so I'd like to have more exercises...

BTW, what's accessory work?

Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    sucks that you OH press after you bench press. You won't be able to give the OH press your all and progress will stall before it would have if you focused on each separate days. IMO.
    Well, some people do Push/Pull total body training, for example Pushing: squats, b. press, o. press, lunges.... so I thought why not...

Damn... 3 exercises seem too little. It would take me like 30 mins to complete it.. I love being in the gym and I try to stay there for 45-60 mins so I'd like to have more exercises...

BTW, what's accessory work?
    take longer breaks and lift heavier then. i do 4 lifts and it takes me about an hour (im doing SS).

accessory work is any extra exercises that you want to add, it can be compound movments like dips and pullups, or isolation work like curls. it depends on your goals and can vary.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Quote Originally Posted by nockits View Post
    accessory work is any extra exercises that you want to add, it can be compound movments like dips and pullups, or isolation work like curls. it depends on your goals and can vary.
    Thought so.. that's why I added Reverse flies, etc.. Thanx

do the SS... whoever said that you won't be able to do your OH Press at your max is correct. doing it after you bench is stupid because you will already be fatigued. if you want a 5x5 routine, go for the Bill Starr one, but i reccomend rippetoes. also, why do you have DB rows after Barbell rows? just stick with the barbell rows.. i think adding lunges is okay, and also switch the deadlift/press.

Well, some people do Push/Pull total body training, for example Pushing: squats, b. press, o. press, lunges.... so I thought why not...
    most people doing these kind of routines will break up vertical and horizontal push/pull on separate days.

Why not (do it like you doing it)? Because you won't be able to make as much progress in OH press and its a CRITICAL lift to gain strength in (if you want to be a strong mofo).

Quote Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
    do the SS... whoever said that you won't be able to do your OH Press at your max is correct. doing it after you bench is stupid because you will already be fatigued. if you want a 5x5 routine, go for the Bill Starr one, but i reccomend rippetoes. also, why do you have DB rows after Barbell rows? just stick with the barbell rows.. i think adding lunges is okay, and also switch the deadlift/press.
    DB Rows focus more on lats and BB Rows on upper back and traps...

DB Rows focus more on lats and BB Rows on upper back and traps...
    what?? i don't think this is true. the movement should be the same whether you use DBs or BBs. the only difference i know is with DBs you utilize your stablizers. you can lift more with BB though.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

I did a 4 day, low volume upper/lower, light/heavy split consisting of bench, row, oh press, chins on Day 1 and squat, lunge, leg press, sldl on Day 2 for about a year and a half with great success (for me anyway). being fatigued isn't a bad thing when you want hypertrophy. there is nothing wrong with heavy vert and heavy horiz push on the same day. will it affect your other lifts? absolutely. you need to prioritize your order to reflect what is most important to you.
    Last edited by twm; 05-25-2009 at 06:34 AM.

what?? i don't think this is true. the movement should be the same whether you use DBs or BBs. the only difference i know is with DBs you utilize your stablizers. you can lift more with BB though.
    Movement is the same essentially but the grip with is different. With DB it's close grip that focuses on lats, with BB I use wider grip and it focuses more on my back and traps...

Quote Originally Posted by twm View Post
    I did a 4 day, low volume upper/lower, light/heavy split consisting of bench, row, oh press, chins on Day 1 and squat, lunge, leg press, sldl on Day 2 for about a year and a half with great success (for me anyway). being fatigued isn't a bad thing when you want hypertrophy. there is nothing wrong with heavy vert and heavy horiz push on the same day. will it affect your other lifts? absolutely. you need to prioritize your order to reflect what is most important to you.
    you're right man - it all comes down to goals and prioritizing to get those. I personally have a goal to get as huge as possible OH press. I don't really value bench pressing, I see it more as an accessory lift for OH pressing (more solid foundation).

real men OH press hehe

Wannabebig Member
    That is a pretty good routine, but you need to mix up your reps/sets everyonce in a while in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Extacie View Post
    That is a pretty good routine, but you need to mix up your reps/sets everyonce in a while in my opinion.
    I might deload on fridays... maybe do 3x10 or just 2x5 ...

take longer breaks and lift heavier then. i do 4 lifts and it takes me about an hour (im doing SS).
    And do proper warmups. 3 compound exercises while lifting heavy with warmups can fill up an hour pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by dlew View Post
    And do proper warmups. 3 compound exercises while lifting heavy with warmups can fill up an hour pretty quickly.
    hmm.. hard to believe for me :P I honestly can't imagine myself resting for more than 2 minutes... I just can't!!! I want to LIFT!!!

If your always ready to go again after 2 minutes, are you sure you sure your lifting heavy enough?

Quote Originally Posted by godofthunder View Post
    If your always ready to go again after 2 minutes, are you sure you sure your lifting heavy enough?
    Sometimes I am not ready.. I just can't stand being lazy at the gym ... And I make sure that the last reps is almost failure or failure

Based on personal experience, the madcow is the quickest way to gain size and especially strength, it pre determins your weight based on your current form and you´l progress gradually if you eat right and get enough rest. I usually wait until i feel ready to do another sets, some time linger than 2 minutes, especially before the last set, but that of course diifrent from person to person.