Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Met with a personal trainer...analysis his advice for me.

Wannabebig Member

Met with a personal trainer...analysis his advice for me.

for free as part of my membership. I told him im bulking and want muscle, im 6' 180 and I want to be a more bulky frame, maybe 195. I told him my routine which I just started from S/S...squats, deadlift, bench, chins, push ups, etc and the guy told me to stop squating and deadlifting since they are dangerous. I've been reading a lot on here and I starting squating and deadlifting 2 weeks ago after reading s/s and some threads on here because I need the lower body mass gain mostly. I told the guy to show me squat and D/L technique because my legs and lower back have been killing me the past week. Is this because I'm new to the exercise or because I'm doing them wrong? He didn't seem to be too excited to discuss that with me. Thoughts?

He wants me to do 'Cross Training' witch is according to him is like 3 or 4 exercises (bench, push ups, chins, leg work) of around 10-12 reps with no rest in between and a 3 minute break after all 4 sets. Repeat 3 times and then 3 more sets of a tri/bi/shoulder/back exercise at 10-12 reps with 3 min rest in between each round of those 4 exercises, no rest in between exercises again.

I can't see this routine bulking me up more than cutting the little fat I have developing around my gut. Is this going to get me bulk as well? I hate to say it but I wasn't impressed by this guy too much.

I would have walked out once he told me not to squat and deadlift.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Banned
    hahahahahaha

no...

just no....

cross training is different from bulking. you may get some muscle gains depending on your state now, but its mainly for cutting/endurance. im with the other guys, i would have just laughed in his face and walked away once he said stop squatting and deadlifting.

your legs and lower back will definitely kill you if you're new to those two lifts. post a video in the video section so we can critique your form!
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Maybe from a liability standpoint they aren't allowed to recommend those two exercises? I'm just trying to think outside the box here.

theres traininers who are qualified and those that are not...ask to see credentials...certs, cscs, degrees etc
    the grass could be greener, and itll always be greener on the other side, but you just never know....this could be the one

Sounds to me like the trainer is a one trick pony -- he knows one thing so that's what he's going to push. Find someone else who knows a thing or two about what you're trying to accomplish.

just don't respond back to him ever again.. if he asks you say thanks anyway, i appreciate the offer, but i have my own routine..

To get big first you must get strong, and his 'cross training' won't get you there.

But you can pretty well ignore anyone who thinks squats and deadlifts shouldn't be done because they're 'dangerous'.

these types of trainers give the rest of us bad names....ALL of my clients (including females) deadlift and squat
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by the one View Post
    theres traininers who are qualified and those that are not...ask to see credentials...certs, cscs, degrees etc
    which still mean nothing...

Wannabebig Member
    How long of a rest (days) in between each squat session would be good for starting out? S/S says do it 3 times a week, and that would kill me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyridino View Post
    the guy told me to stop squating and deadlifting since they are dangerous. (snip) Thoughts?
    My thoughts are the guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Wannabebig Member
    also, what does BW mean?

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    So sick of ****ty trainers giving us a bad name. I'm a personal trainer and would absolutely die of happiness if a client came in requesting what you've stated OP. That would be such a fun client.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

How long of a rest (days) in between each squat session would be good for starting out? S/S says do it 3 times a week, and that would kill me.
    usually a full day of rest is enough. squatting 3 times won't kill you if you lift Mon/Wed/Fri, or a combination with that kind of spacing.

also, what does BW mean?
    BW = body weight
    Check out my Journal!

I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Squatting as outlined in SS won't even come close to killing you.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    Squatting as outlined in SS won't even come close to killing you.
    It is even the best thing about the program, IMO.

Wannabebig Member
    for free as part of my membership. I told him im bulking and want muscle, im 6' 180 and I want to be a more bulky frame, maybe 195. I told him my routine which I just started from S/S...squats, deadlift, bench, chins, push ups, etc and the guy told me to stop squating and deadlifting since they are dangerous. I've been reading a lot on here and I starting squating and deadlifting 2 weeks ago after reading s/s and some threads on here because I need the lower body mass gain mostly. I told the guy to show me squat and D/L technique because my legs and lower back have been killing me the past week. Is this because I'm new to the exercise or because I'm doing them wrong? He didn't seem to be too excited to discuss that with me. Thoughts?

He wants me to do 'Cross Training' witch is according to him is like 3 or 4 exercises (bench, push ups, chins, leg work) of around 10-12 reps with no rest in between and a 3 minute break after all 4 sets. Repeat 3 times and then 3 more sets of a tri/bi/shoulder/back exercise at 10-12 reps with 3 min rest in between each round of those 4 exercises, no rest in between exercises again.

I can't see this routine bulking me up more than cutting the little fat I have developing around my gut. Is this going to get me bulk as well? I hate to say it but I wasn't impressed by this guy too much.

just out of curiousity and because you getting personal trainging out of your membership for free is comppletely coincidental to me. do you go to retro fitness i just haveeee to know lol

It sounds like this trainer's idea of "cross training" is some bastardized CrossFit ciruit training... If you want to do CrossFit, then do CrossFit. If you want to squat and deadlift, find someone else.

I don't know if this trainer has planned will work for you and your goals. It might.... for a while.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

It was mandatory that I see a trainer when I joined my gym and they fed me the same stuff. Didn't want me lifting heavy, just doing sets of 20-35 reps. Wanted me to sign on for $960 a month in training. Yeah right.

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    From what I've seen that's what's pushed in all these so-called "fitness" gyms. The PT's are usually given a 2hr. class by the gym that hired them and bam their certified! They're hired based on their level of attractiveness and nothing more. They want everyone using the machines in a circuit style routine with no rest between sets. That way people are in and out of the gym quickly and no one is at any given station for too long. That way the gym seems less crowded and they are able to pack in more members. It's basically a business model. All about separating people from their money. And if the person feels like they burned up the box of effin cookies they ate on their way over well then job done. That's why the "training" is always free for a few sessions when you join. They want to teach you how they want you to work out. It's better for the bottom line that way. Most people just want to feel like they got off their a$$es anyway. That's why they still look the same year after year. They didn't learn about squats and deadlifts in that two hour class, so they can't help you. You ever notice that they seem like they're quoting off some script they have memorized. God forbid you ask them something that wasn't part of their schpeel. They pretty much freeze up right on spot, like "Does not compute." Besides they don't want you clanking the iron on the floor over in the corner scaring off the soccer moms. They like it when their biggest concern is that some schmoe didn't wipe his sweat off their brite shiny machinery. It's the same everywhere unfortunately. It happened in the 80's when fitness clubs became big business. Now it's all about the $$$.

Sorry about the rant. Everyone here already knows this stuff.

"When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks.'" --Henry Rollins.

There. I'm done.
    Last edited by dumbbell; 05-22-2009 at 11:58 PM.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by dumbbell View Post
    From what I've seen that's what's pushed in all these so-called "fitness" gyms. The PT's are usually given a 2hr. class by the gym that hired them and bam their certified! They're hired based on their level of attractiveness and nothing more. They want everyone using the machines in a circuit style routine with no rest between sets. That way people are in and out of the gym quickly and no one is at any given station for too long. That way the gym seems less crowded and they are able to pack in more members. It's basically a business model. All about separating people from their money. And if the person feels like they burned up the box of effin cookies they ate on their way over well then job done. That's why the "training" is always free for a few sessions when you join. They want to teach you how they want you to work out. It's better for the bottom line that way. Most people just want to feel like they got off their a$$es anyway. That's why they still look the same year after year. They didn't learn about squats and deadlifts in that two hour class, so they can't help you. You ever notice that they seem like they're quoting off some script they have memorized. God forbid you ask them something that wasn't part of their schpeel. They pretty much freeze up right on spot, like "Does not compute." Besides they don't want you clanking the iron on the floor over in the corner scaring off the soccer moms. They like it when their biggest concern is that some schmoe didn't wipe his sweat off their brite shiny machinery. It's the same everywhere unfortunately. It happened in the 80's when fitness clubs became big business. Now it's all about the $$$.

There. I'm done.
    Wow dude, it's like you were at my gym when I signed up. All that rings true from my experience.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbbell View Post

There. I'm done.
    Never really thought about it that way, but it makes perfect sense... lol.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTerrorizer View Post
    It was mandatory that I see a trainer when I joined my gym and they fed me the same stuff. Didn't want me lifting heavy, just doing sets of 20-35 reps. Wanted me to sign on for $960 a month in training. Yeah right.
    Check out my Journal!