Thread: PL Comp.

PL Comp.

I want to get into a powerlifting competition. The competition is in July and is the closest one I could find. However, people are allowed to use powerlifting suits and I don't have nor know how to use them. Where can I get a bench shirt for cheap? Squat/DL Shorts? How do I learn how to use them?

Or, should I just do it all raw since it's only my first competition?

Quote Originally Posted by Fighter_15 View Post
    I want to get into a powerlifting competition. The competition is in July and is the closest one I could find. However, people are allowed to use powerlifting suits and I don't have nor know how to use them. Where can I get a bench shirt for cheap? Squat/DL Shorts? How do I learn how to use them?

Or, should I just do it all raw since it's only my first competition?
    Slow down. Do it raw. Adding a shirt and a squat suit 2 months before a meet is going to pretty much be self - destructive, for a lack of a better word.

You need to find a gym with experienced powerlifters to help you with the gear. Browse the internet, search this board, and ask anyone about gear. Take it slow and learn proper form before you jump into a meet geared.

Don't worry about beating anyone but yourself.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    Slow down. Do it raw. Adding a shirt and a squat suit 2 months before a meet is going to pretty much be self - destructive, for a lack of a better word.

You need to find a gym with experienced powerlifters to help you with the gear. Browse the internet, search this board, and ask anyone about gear. Take it slow and learn proper form before you jump into a meet geared.

Peace. Thats about it
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Yes, do it raw!! Find a powerlifting gym nearby on this site if you can:

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4420

where are you from?
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The...32666473422227
    we forge our bodies in the fire of our will

Michigan

I probably won't be able to find a gym nearby. The closest one I know of is about an hour away which sucks.

I probably won't be able to find a gym nearby. The closest one I know of is about an hour away which sucks.
    Where there's a will, there's a way. I drive 6 hours round trip every other week to get to one.
    Last edited by Lones Green; 05-22-2009 at 08:29 PM.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Where there's a will, there's a way. I drive 6 hours round trip every other week to get to one.

Very true.

I give you credit. You must be pretty dedicated. I could go to one of those gyms then just not everyday. That's a good idea.

Yeah, if you can find peole to lft with; even an hour away it's worth it. I drive an hour+ to squat with people; and about 45 minutes to bench with a different group.

Go Heavy or Go Home!!
    This monday I am starting my monthly commute to my dad's gym which is 2hrs. I will be benching with BPM Osgood and probably Danforth. 2 great guys.

Banned

I disagree. If there are people around him that know what there doing, he'll be fine. I did it, and benched 413 my first time. Which was a 60lb pr! It can be done. Just gotta have good people around you.

I'm wondering what is a good starter bench shirt if I were to buy one. Also are squat/deadlift shorts the same thing? As is I would only have to buy one and it would work for both?

There is nothing wrong with that. I live 40 minutes away from where i train. We have one guy who lives 2 hours away and he shows up for squat and bench days. Just cause you have to drive a little ways doesn't mean its out of the question.
    Member of Society of Strength (Best Gym In Kansas City)
    We Cant Stop Here. This is Bat Country.
    Introduce a little Anarchy. Upset the established order. Then everything becomes Chaos.

Banned
    I'm wondering what is a good starter bench shirt if I were to buy one. Also are squat/deadlift shorts the same thing? As is I would only have to buy one and it would work for both?

HD Blast from Inzernet.com Shirt

You can use a squat suit as your deadlift suit aswell. Try a Zsuit from Inzer aswell. Make sure you ask questions when your training with them though, otherwise it will do no good to buy them.

Wannabebig Member
    First you need to tell us your lifting styles. Are you a wide/narrow stance squatter, bench with/without an arch, deadlift sumo or conventional? And then we can continue.
    Last edited by Ripe1; 05-24-2009 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hernandez View Post
    I disagree. If there are people around him that know what there doing, he'll be fine. I did it, and benched 413 my first time. Which was a 60lb pr! It can be done. Just gotta have good people around you.
    I'm not saying it can't be done, but the guy doesn't have people around him who know what they're doing.

I'm sure theres a freak out there who put a suit on and squatted perfect the first time, but you won't see that much. It takes most of us years to perfect form
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Banned
    I'm not saying it can't be done, but the guy doesn't have people around him who know what they're doing.

I'm sure theres a freak out there who put a suit on and squatted perfect the first time, but you won't see that much. It takes most of us years to perfect form
    Good point.

I think I might just compete raw for the first one. Then, I will join a gym or somehow find out how to use the shirt and suit the right way and then start competing using the gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hernandez View Post
    HD Blast from Inzernet.com Shirt

You can use a squat suit as your deadlift suit aswell. Try a Zsuit from Inzer aswell. Make sure you ask questions when your training with them though, otherwise it will do no good to buy them.
    Thanks, I'll check those out. This is probably a dumb question but how do I know which size to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Ripe1 View Post
    First you need to tell us your lifting styles. Are you a wide/narrow stance squatter, bench with/without an arch, deadlift sumo or conventional? And then we can continue.
    I'm more of a narrow squatter. I deadlift conventional.
    Last edited by Fighter_15; 05-24-2009 at 04:28 PM.

Banned
    Thanks, I'll check those out. This is probably a dumb question but how do I know which size to get?

I'm more of a narrow squatter. I deadlift conventional.

There is a sizing Chart on the inzernet.com website. Really easy to understand.