Thread: 315 bench

Wannabebig New Member

315 bench

Hey guys im 16 and 163lbs and this is me max benching the other day tell me what you think thanks!!

Video

Wannabebig Member
    what was that

Sorry but that's not even close. It seems like you brought the bar down only half way. Make sure to touch your chest (with a pause or touch and go) and tell your spotter to keep his hands off the bar.

Wannabebig New Member
    Well thats how my football coach says to max and im the strongest on my team what is wrong with it exactly?

Wannabebig Member

Quote Originally Posted by babodybuilder View Post
    Well thats how my football coach says to max and im the strongest on my team
    Then your football coach clearly has no idea.

what is wrong with it exactly?
    Read my above post.

Wannabebig New Member
    Well im not trying to work my chest im just maxing and this is how my team does it. Guess i can see how much i do when i touch my chest my coach says you can break your sternum tho

Well im not trying to work my chest im just maxing and this is how my team does it. Guess i can see how much i do when i touch my chest my coach says you can break your sternum tho
    I doubt anybody does a single to work their chest. The only way you'd break your sternum is if somehow you manage to drop the bar on your chest.

exactly. if you lift in a controlled manner, nothing will happen.
    that was not a legit lift, and by the way your mid section raised up, i'm assuming your @$$ was mid-air when pushing. thats also a no-no.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Wannabebig New Member
    Start lighter. Like way lighter. 95 #'s approx and work your way up. Work on form from foot to hands.
    Place feet firmly on ground. Start workout program at 60% max and work your way up.
    Your bench press sucks right now. It does not even count. You are better off doing reps of slow negatives. Then having your partner grap the bar the whole time and do a partial.

Yeh, dont mean to offend, but everyones criticism of your technique so far has been accurate and if your coach says otherwise then im afraid he's just plain wrong.

You should be touching your chest. You should also make sure your ass is staying on the bench.

You're obviously very strong. With a little form work, you'll be benching 3pps with full range of motion in no time.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Oh man. High school coaches make me sick.

Yeah, I would say your max is around 225 maybe. Your spotter was doing alot also. You need to come down slowly, touch and go.

At 16 and 163lbs a 315 bench would have blown me away, so i was a little suspicious. And i was right, that wasnt even close. I don't know who they have doing strength coaching on your team but man, i don't know a single person that would consider that a legit bench.

Like everyone else said, full range of motion (to chest) and no spotter touch. This site is full of powerlifters and strength trainers, and lifts like that are going to get a lot of criticism.
    Bench 408 (Single Ply)
    Deadlift 507 (Belt only)
    Squat 515 (Single Ply)
    JOURNAL
    VIDEOS

Yeah, man, spend a little more time researching proper bench press form. And yes, it has to touch your chest. I have no idea what your coach is talking about. Like Jorge said, work on it, and when you bench 315 for real it will feel (and look) so much better.

I knew a guy like you. Finally I called him out after he was bragging to everyone about how much he can push. I bet him 20 dollars that he couldnt touch his chest with 225, with no help from a spotter. Guess who won the money.

Drop the weight, focus on your form, and use full range of motion. You wouldnt stop a deadlift halfway up and call it a rep would you? What about a curl? So why do it with a bench press? You'll be better off in the long run, and you wont be labeled as "that guy"

Nice lockout strength though for your size
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Wow what a dumbass coach. And don't bridge your back that can lead to serious long term injury.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

to get even strong enough to try this you must know a little something but check out this link:

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...nch_press_cure

just watch the video and try to take in as much as you can. Try to approach it from "your form is all wrong" dont take anything with you just follow what this guy says. Even if youre doing something right.

Banned
    I do believe you all may have fallen for a troll

well the video was just added a few days ago... so unless the guy posted the video just to troll the board... dont really see a point.

Okla.2A State Track Champs weasel's Avatar
    I was ready to see an amazing 16 year old BP 315.....

your real max isn't gonna be remotely close to that you only pressed it 4-6inches and the spotter was getting a workout of his own back there if you watch. keep yourself planted on the bench is gonna be a huge diffrence we had people on our football team doing it like that drop anywhere from 40-65lbs.

I hate to tell you it might be time for a better or new coach if thats how he told your team to max.... literally all of my coaches know and drill proper form into your head like you wouldn't imagine. Heck even my throwing coach (who was a woman who didn't lift often) knew proper form.
    “Your chances of success in any undertaking can always be measured by your belief in yourself.” - Robert Collier

Oh man. High school coaches make me sick.

Damn Kastro,thats harsh,and general.I'm sure there are lots that don't know whats going on,but there are those that have plenty of knowledge.

And to the OP,that bench sucks.

Ryan Hale

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    I do believe you all may have fallen for a troll
    Ben you are surely right. Lets kill this one.