The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Working every single muscle on one day

When I lift upper body I do every single muscle in one day starting with biggest (Chest) and working down (back,shoulder,bicep,tricep) I do this routine 2x a week with 2x a week for legs (mostly squat/legpress)

Ive heard of people who do the same muscle only once a week but break it into days like Monday-triceps/back Wednesday-chest/shoulder....ect

What is the difference between the two types of workouts and which do you recommend ? Should I do every muscle twice a week in two workouts or spread them out yet only do them once a week (if I should change it what should I break the workouts into)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

spread them out. if you want an effective full body routine you just might have to commit suicide, thats tough.
    split them
    Push: chest, triceps, shoulders
    pull: back, biceps
    legs: quads, hams, calves

but if you want an effective full body routine it might be something like this:
    squats
    deadlifts
    bench
    bent rows
    OH press
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

Banned
    Yes you should break it in days.For each day you should keep one exercise it will help you maintaining your routine.

Quote Originally Posted by mastershake575 View Post
    When I lift upper body I do every single muscle in one day starting with biggest (Chest) and working down (back,shoulder,bicep,tricep) I do this routine 2x a week with 2x a week for legs (mostly squat/legpress)

Ive heard of people who do the same muscle only once a week but break it into days like Monday-triceps/back Wednesday-chest/shoulder....ect

What is the difference between the two types of workouts and which do you recommend ? Should I do every muscle twice a week in two workouts or spread them out yet only do them once a week (if I should change it what should I break the workouts into)
    What you are doing is 2 upper and 2 lower. This is fine. It can performed 2 on 1 off 2 on, or every other day or whatever way you can get to train.

Many BBers will follow that type of bodypart split that you have also mentioned.

Consider what your goals are and then think about the type of slplit that would help you get there.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Wannabebig Member
    The best thing to do in my opinion is break it up and focus on inpaticular muscle groups each day.

If you pick 3 - 5 compound lifts, you can work every muscle group in one workout:

squat
    OH press
    barbell row
    chin-ups

All muscle groups hit!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    If you pick 3 - 5 compound lifts, you can work every muscle group in one workout:

squat
    OH press
    barbell row
    chin-ups

All muscle groups hit!
    really? i never thought OH press hit the chest sufficiently, if any...
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Oh ya, the chest I forgot.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

OH press definitely hits my chest.

http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Delt...taryPress.html

And actually if you get down to it I think you would only need one of rows/pullups
    http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Back...ntOverRow.html
    http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Lati.../AsPullup.html

In my opinion you could probably get jacked from just Squat/Press/Pull.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by Torrok View Post
    spread them out. if you want an effective full body routine you just might have to commit suicide, thats tough.
    split them
    Push: chest, triceps, shoulders
    pull: back, biceps
    legs: quads, hams, calves
    If you want 3 days a week, this.
    4 days a week could be as good or better, depending.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mastershake575 View Post
    What is the difference between the two types of workouts and which do you recommend ?
    What is your goal? If your goal is to build muscle, IMHO you may want to consider thinking more in terms of training movements instead of training body parts, ie have a squat day, a deadlift day, a pressing day, ( with some accessory lifts thrown in)... and don't worry if "exercise X hits body part y". When I made this shift in my workouts is when I started to really build some muscle.