The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

It's like spinning my wheels

I was at 232 in the first pic of each pose, then at 232 again (today) after being 225 on Sunday. Wtf man? Anyone even notice any difference.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

How precise is your diet?
    Sarvamangalam!

This is my diet detailed out.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125051

Only difference was in the first poses I wasn't on creatine. In the second poses I am. They are 2 months apart. But Sunday I was 225 and now I'm 232. Doesn't make sense. I trained everyday from Sunday to today.

Well, 2100 cals is far too low for someone your size. It sounds like your metabolism is shot. We can fix that though. Here's what you need to do

Jumpstart
    For 2-3 days stuff your face silly. Maybe 3000cals or more (of clean food)
    Recomp
    Then start a calorie cycle that will last for 6 weeks or more (until your weight levels off for a few weeks.) This could take some time..weeks/months, but by doing this you will be in a much better place to start the next phase of your diet. During this phase it is entirely possible that you will add LBM and lose fat if your diet is in check, which it sounds like it will be from your other posts. Once you are leveled off you can then manipulate your calories from there by cutting 3500 cals a week (abut the equiv of 1lb)

Basic maintenance cal calculation BW x 15calories= 3480 cals a day

We take your maintenance and make that into a recomp. This way your body does not get used to a certain amount of cals a day and will not drop your metabolism as it becomes much much better at alotting those calories. We need to keep the metabolism guessing, as it were. But you will still get the same amt of cals a week thereby aligning with your maintenance (or cut/bulk)

By my calculations these are your Recomp #s (2 choices)
    3730 cals 3-4 days a week (WO days)
    3230 cals 3-4 days a week (Off days)

(3230cals x4days)+(3730cals x3days)= 24110 cals a week =Avg of 3444 cals a day
    (3230cals x3days)+(3730cals x4days)= 24610 cals a week =Avg of 3515 cals a day

Depending on YOU you might like 4 high days or 4 low days. As you can see there is only about a 100 calorie/week difference but sometimes it seems to make a mental difference for me to have a "high" cal day on Sunday, the day before my ME squatting session. Its mostly personal preference at this point. More dramatic carb cycles will call for more precise measurements and dramatic differences in high and low days, but this one is a fairly easy and efficient cycle.

The higher cal days are higher carb days (over 70grams) and the lower are low (under 70 grams)

This is an example of a moderate carb cycle. Again, I would recomp until your weight has leveled off. This might take 6-12 weeks of actual recomposition and another 2-4 weeks of nothing just to make sure you are leveled off. Then you can begin a cut using the same cycling principles. Recomposition and cycling will work faster than a plain ol static diet but take your time and get the most out of every phase. It will really decrease the back tracking many have to do.

Hows your training look? I understand you are just gettting into it, which in that case Id suggest Starting Strength 3 days a week and HIIT 2 days a week. Are you familiar with this?
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 05-26-2009 at 11:35 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

I didn't really understand all of that (not the sharpest tool I am).

So I eat around 3000 until friday. Then start that cycling. I only have 161lbs of muscle mass, does that take any effect in this?

While doing the jumpstart should I do any cardio? I'll have to read up on starting strength but my workouts now are like HIIT. Short rest periods. Pretty much a warmup set and then 2 working sets. I saw this on Mark Dugdale's dvd where he trains with Dorian Yates.
    Last edited by SuperTerrorizer; 05-26-2009 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTerrorizer View Post
    I didn't really understand all of that (not the sharpest tool I am).

So I eat around 3000 until friday. Then start that cycling. I only have 161lbs of muscle mass, does that take any effect in this?

While doing the jumpstart should I do any cardio? I'll have to read up on starting strength but my workouts now are like HIIT. Short rest periods. Pretty much a warmup set and then 2 working sets. I saw this on Mark Dugdale's dvd where he trains with Dorian Yates.
    Thats cool. Read it again and do all write out all of the math. It should help you understand it. It sounds like you have a grasp on it.

All I used was a basic formula. There are others that have long calculations using LBM and activity level but the one I used is pretty good.

As for the jumpstart just keep doing what you are doing. All that is doing is raising you metabolism. Here's the training regimen Id incorporate

On M/W/F:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=124795

SS uses the most compound movements and linear progression using low reps. This will boost your metabolism, keep your HR high for hours, release the most hormone and incorporate the most muscle as often as possible- whcih are all very good things.

and do this for the HIIT 2 days a week

5 Min warmup
    [20sec sprint/40sec recovery] x8-12
    15-20 minute jog in target HR
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 05-26-2009 at 11:49 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

yep, listen to zen he'll steer you in the right direction. Good luck bro
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 194 lbs - PR: 220
    Raw Squat: 315 - PR: 405
    Raw Press: 325 - PR: 365
    Raw Dead: 365 - PR: 445

Total: 1005 (1205) * All gym records.

My Journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=121117

I looked at Starting Strength. Very interesting. The Workout A looks fuggin' brutal!!! I don't know if I could do standing over head military press with a barbell and I don't have good balance and don't think I could rep the bar. I know I couldn't a few years ago when I was training. I currently use 30lb db's for reps sitting. Workout definately looks interesting though. My gym has 2.5lb plates too for increments.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTerrorizer View Post
    I looked at Starting Strength. Very interesting. The Workout A looks fuggin' brutal!!! I don't know if I could do standing over head military press with a barbell and I don't have good balance and don't think I could rep the bar. I know I couldn't a few years ago when I was training. I currently use 30lb db's for reps sitting. Workout definately looks interesting though. My gym has 2.5lb plates too for increments.
    Its the best bet for the fastest results.
    Sarvamangalam!

to be something you've never been you'll have to do something you've never done. try new stuff fer sher.

P.S. I guess it really depends on your goals, but the weight on the scale never meant anything to me, unless I needed to make weight for wrestling. I would worry more about the numbers you are actually lifting and how you see yourself in the mirror. You look at yourself more than any of us so I bet you can decide if you look different. Alrighty, enough of that dribble, good luck.
    Last edited by dynamo; 05-30-2009 at 10:11 PM.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

eh I can see some difference but only slight.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.