Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lockout Strength for Deadlifts

Quote Originally Posted by rctriplefresh5 View Post
    well i posted the video to show you that sometimes a bad lockout could just be due to not using enough leg drive. id say my back is very strong yet i have a weak lockout on max attempts doesnt make sense does it? well yes it does make sense. i am not using enough leg drive. when i arch my back hard and use more leg drive i fail off the floor. i realize 410 isnt an incredible weight but thats noreason to make fun of me either lols.
    No.

Leg drive is what normally will get it off the floor. Upper back, lats and hips (mostly hips) is what's going to lock it out.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by rctriplefresh5 View Post
    well i posted the video to show you that sometimes a bad lockout could just be due to not using enough leg drive. id say my back is very strong yet i have a weak lockout on max attempts doesnt make sense does it? well yes it does make sense. i am not using enough leg drive. when i arch my back hard and use more leg drive i fail off the floor. i realize 410 isnt an incredible weight but thats noreason to make fun of me either lols.
    Hey man Thanx for the posts no i was asking cause you didnt really give me any tips i thought you were just posting the video not making fun of you either Thats not a bad lift man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    No.

Leg drive is what normally will get it off the floor. Upper back, lats and hips (mostly hips) is what's going to lock it out.
    And Thanx Travis this is what i was trying to get at i needed to know exactly what muscles specifically are used in lockout i knew it was upper back i wasnt sure how much hips play a role.But now i think ima focus mainly on my hip strength mainly i guess box squats or something as i know there great for hip strength.
    Last edited by Erik 23; 05-29-2009 at 10:33 PM.

No.

well what advise u got for my farked up DL lock out?! haha i think i even stumped Louie on that one!
    All Time 198 Squat Record of 1,050 pounds
    http://ironscene.com/view_video.php?...e=&category=tr

All Time 220 Squat Record of 1,100 pounds

** 1063 squat , 611 bench, and 733 deadlift for 2408 Total
    All Time 242 Squat Record of 1,108 pounds At 228)
    ** 1108 squat , 639 bench, and 700 deadlift for 2447 Total

What I Lack in Genetics, I Make Up For With Determination and Discipline

Place the weight on top of wooden blocks so it is a few inches BELOW the knee cap. Also HEAVY CORE AND HAMSTRING work, to the tune of GHRS, REV HYPERS, SSB GMS, HEAVY STANDING WEIGHTED ABS, and HEAVY SLDLs to name a few.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Byrd52 View Post
    well what advise u got for my farked up DL lock out?! haha i think i even stumped Louie on that one!
    LOL I know! That was the craziest dead I have seen! You just ripped it to like 2" from lockout and then it stopped dead.

I wondered a couple of things

- do you think maybe your suit was too tight, not allowing you to squeeze your glutes and push your hips into lockout

or

- have you tried doing ultra wide stance stiff legged deads (like toes almost to the plates)?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

The straps can make it hard to lockout. An under amror shirts will let the straps slide at the top and help lockout.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROCK View Post
    Place the weight on top of wooden blocks so it is a few inches BELOW the knee cap. Also HEAVY CORE AND HAMSTRING work, to the tune of GHRS, REV HYPERS, SSB GMS, HEAVY STANDING WEIGHTED ABS, and HEAVY SLDLs to name a few.
    Thanx Sgt Rock I dont have access to a Reverse Hyper But ill keep the rest in mind The Sldls might really help ill try them you do these for a max effort or just for reps? thanx for the advice Rock
    Semper Fi
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Byrd52 View Post
    Lol good to have you posting in here Sam

LOL I know! That was the craziest dead I have seen! You just ripped it to like 2" from lockout and then it stopped dead.

I wondered a couple of things

- do you think maybe your suit was too tight, not allowing you to squeeze your glutes and push your hips into lockout

or

- have you tried doing ultra wide stance stiff legged deads (like toes almost to the plates)?
    Does the same thing on my raw pulls both conv and sumo also. have done some wide sldl but not often and not that wide.

ONe more thing to add here, as I had a lockout issue for nearly a decade, maybe more. SPEED OFF THE DECK will effect lockout. Sometimes if one gets STONED above the knees, the bar abruptly stops it appears they have a lockout issue, it may be LACK OF BAR SPEED OR POSITIONING.

Semper Fi

Byrd - ive had the same problem with conventional and sumo pulls. For the sumo, my hips where tight and in order to get in a better position I have to actually point my toes slightly more forward rather then to the sides.

I still have a ****ty lockout, but this helped.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Quote Originally Posted by SELK View Post
    Byrd - ive had the same problem with conventional and sumo pulls. For the sumo, my hips where tight and in order to get in a better position I have to actually point my toes slightly more forward rather then to the sides.

I still have a ****ty lockout, but this helped.
    thanks ill try that. i am also doing alot of stretching the hips and hams, and going to try to pull in oly shoes, and also with toes on a 5lb plate to see if this changes my leverages any. i think its a problem of using too much quad power and getting on my toes which doesnt allow me to throw hips through at the top. Who knows... im still grasping at straws.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROCK View Post
    ONe more thing to add here, as I had a lockout issue for nearly a decade, maybe more. SPEED OFF THE DECK will effect lockout. Sometimes if one gets STONED above the knees, the bar abruptly stops it appears they have a lockout issue, it may be LACK OF BAR SPEED OR POSITIONING.

Semper Fi
    Yeah im pretty fast off the floor then i tend to stall out above the knees, but i recently changed my feet placement and that seemed to help a lot so the positioning is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik 23 View Post
    Yeah im pretty fast off the floor then i tend to stall out above the knees, but i recently changed my feet placement and that seemed to help a lot so the positioning is very important.
    I have the exact same issue. How did you change your foot placement?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLift View Post
    I have the exact same issue. How did you change your foot placement?
    Oh i just widened it out to about shoulder width apart, and the weight went up a lot easier, I really didnt have to hitch or anything.

When i take my normal stance i must've been like too close because everything even warmup sets id just about have to hitch.

But now that i widened out my feet a little like i said about shoulder width or maybe a inch or two past shoulder witdh now it feels like im throwing my hips in there with my original floor speed, which is getting me to my lockout before i even begin to hitch.