Thread: Bencher8 will like this. Rob won't like this.

Bencher8 will like this. Rob won't like this.

Since we've had some debate on bands in a shirt. I did shirted bench against bands last night. My wrists felt like they were going to explode, and they still hurt.

I wanted to get an idea of where my lockout is at. In 2 weeks, I'll go full range straight weight. I'm also hoping for some feedback on form/technique, since there are some great benchers here.

Video
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

becky is an animal!

Quote Originally Posted by barbell01 View Post
    becky is an animal!
    Bump

Looking good Marcus
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Thanks Brian.

Becky is definitely getting stronger. The downer is USPF doesn't have a raw division, so her totals there don't count as raw for the lifter rankings.

I freaking hate benching. I set a 50 lb PR in a shirt and guys like Travis are hitting the same weights raw. There's a lot more work to do.
    www.wildirongym.com

Since you put a cute girl in the video I will go easy on you Marcus. Bencher8 will chime in but the raw band work the bar needs to drop alot faster. Fast down fast up is the way I was taught by the legendary cheater himself (Bencher8) As for Marcus stuff in the shirt not sure what the bar speed is supose to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luyando View Post
    Since you put a cute girl in the video I will go easy on you Marcus. Bencher8 will chime in but the raw band work the bar needs to drop alot faster. Fast down fast up is the way I was taught by the legendary cheater himself (Bencher8) As for Marcus stuff in the shirt not sure what the bar speed is supose to be.
    but it was scary!

Nice work Marcus! First, Rob is right(course he should be cause I told him how to do it lol) when benching raw with bands the rule is "fast down, fast up". The bar speed on the way down has to be fast as well. Drop that sucker and smack the brds! Im gonna put up a vid of me benching with bands raw soon, so everyone can see how I do it. They might not agree with how I do it, but it works...

The first sets in the shirt were rough, but the 445 and 455 was right. Bar speed on the way down in the shirt cant be super fast, but the key to it is to fire the triceps right off the brd and "outrun" the band to lockout. In other words, dont wait till you are at lockout to fire your triceps.
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

Rob was nice. Note to self, put Becky in all videos, haha!

Paul,

Thanks. Yeah, they got easier as I went heavier. I'm not sure if that was me finding the groove or more weight just forcing me down faster. I look forward to seeing video of your raw work vs. bands.
    www.wildirongym.com

Quote Originally Posted by bencher8 View Post
    Im gonna put up a vid of me benching with bands raw soon, so everyone can see how I do it. .
    Can't wait
    Last edited by Brian C; 06-05-2009 at 09:41 PM.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    Rob was nice. Note to self, put Becky in all videos, haha
    Thats not something that happens everyday so I would sugest less clothing as well. LOL!

Great video I enjoyed watching it. What weight class is she in? she is super strong, and nice board work.

She's 132 and ranked #3 raw.
    www.wildirongym.com

She's 132 and ranked #3 raw.

Tell her I said quit beeing a pussy and take the #1 spot and then get into a shirt. She has a strong base and with proper training she could be a force to be dealt with in a shirt.

Since we've had some debate on bands in a shirt. I did shirted bench against bands last night. My wrists felt like they were going to explode, and they still hurt.

I wanted to get an idea of where my lockout is at. In 2 weeks, I'll go full range straight weight. I'm also hoping for some feedback on form/technique, since there are some great benchers here.

Video
    Marcus,

One of the thing I find intersting is you eccentric bar speed (how fast you lower the bar). Allowing the downward speed of the bar to accelerate too much in a bench press or squat, magnifies the bar weight (Research Dr Tom McLaughlin). While McLaughlin's research was in the post bench press shirt era, some adhearance still need to be applied when using bench shirt.

With that said, you eccentric bar speed is great. You're definitely in control of the bar, all the way.

Great concentric bar speed. The bar (for the load you have) is really moving.

Nice arch and excellent leg drive.

At the end of the video, Becky is performing reps with 135 lbs progressively with the use of board is a great idea. I am going use that in my program.

Kenny Croxdale
    Last edited by Kenny Croxdale; 06-07-2009 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luyando View Post
    Tell her I said quit beeing a pussy and take the #1 spot and then get into a shirt. She has a strong base and with proper training she could be a force to be dealt with in a shirt.
    She's only 20 lbs from #1. The downfall is USPF doesn't have a raw division so her lifts at USPF nationals won't be recognized as raw. If you make the world team then you get free gear and she'll have to try it. I guess she tried a bench shirt a few years ago before she trained with us. It didn't fit right and she didn't like it.

Mark needs to get you out for a seminar. I keep bugging him about it. We go up to super traing once a month to get help from them.

Kenny,

Thanks. We are always trying new thing. We keep what works and toss what doesn't.
    www.wildirongym.com

Marcus I am meeting with my shirt guru tuesday. I will PM you with what exactly I need for measurements. I will get one to fit becky if she wants to once she takes the raw record. As for the Seminar thing Mark and I have been discussing the matter.

Kenny,

Thanks. We are always trying new thing. We keep what works and toss what doesn't.
    Marcus,

As my daddy said, "If you want to be good, borrow ideas from others. If you want to be great, steal 'em." So, I am stealing this one from you...but I'll give you credit for it....

Kenny
    Last edited by Kenny Croxdale; 06-08-2009 at 07:44 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    The work at the end is called "triceps death". Made famous by Glenn Bushelain (sp?) They did it a little differently. 5 reps to the chest then 1,2,3,4,5 board then back down 4,3,2,1 chest. All done without racking the weight. This will blow you up beyond belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron C View Post
    The work at the end is called "triceps death". Made famous by Glenn Bushelain (sp?) They did it a little differently. 5 reps to the chest then 1,2,3,4,5 board then back down 4,3,2,1 chest. All done without racking the weight. This will blow you up beyond belief.
    yup, but did they do it with bodyweight like Becky's doing?

lol, we just modify it to where we can get the reps done and its still pretty darn effective.
    Last edited by isaku900; 06-08-2009 at 09:57 AM.

haha, yeah I stole it from someone else. There's also McCaslin boards where you only do boards 3-5 for 5 reps at each board.
    www.wildirongym.com

Wannabebig Member
    I don't know what Glenn weighed, but he did them with 225.

The McCaslin's rack the weight between each board. They don't take there hands off the bar, but they do rack it.

they're both great ways to hammer the tri's.