Thread: Complexes

Go Heavy or Go Home!!

Complexes

6/7
    Ok so today I did some complexes, never done them before, I found this routine via youtube, turbulence training.

6x6 barbell, 1 set with bar 2 sets with 65lbs

Squat
    Push Press
    Front Squat
    Wide grip upright rows
    Romanian Deads
    Deads

That **** kicked my ass.

Does anyone do these, or similar and what other variations?

Ive done this one before with 5 reps for each exercise and the whole complex for 4 sets.

"Complexes" are great. They used to be called super sets, giant sets, circuits, etc....

If your goals are a little local muscular endurance and/or crank up the heart-rate, then fine, but 65lb is still just the bar with a ten on each side. If your goal is strength, then this is NOT the way to go about getting it.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah complexes are awesome for circuits and overal conditioning.

I normally use them to drop BF or if i don't fancy doing cardio. How much rest were you taking inbetween?

I have performed a different complex involving;

Deadlift
    SL Deadlifts
    Hang Clean
    Power Clean
    Split Jerks
    Over Head Squats

5x5 again, i just had the bar to begin with (moved up to 10kg aside) and that knocked me off my feet. Grip went to pieces.

Aside from the near death expierence on week 1 you do actually adapt and get better at them lol so stick with them if you enjoy them

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    "Complexes" are great. They used to be called super sets, giant sets, circuits, etc....

If your goals are a little local muscular endurance and/or crank up the heart-rate, then fine, but 65lb is still just the bar with a ten on each side. If your goal is strength, then this is NOT the way to go about getting it.
    Exactly. Great point Sensi.

This stuff would be good for endurance type athletes, but not sports like football or really even basketball (at least not ideal)

Just make sure that when you are kicking your own butt that it's something that will make you a better athlete in your respective sport.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Go Heavy or Go Home!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post

I am actually doing them for the endurance and cranking up the heart rate, in which I thought my heart was going to pop out of my chest. The weight is very light but it was my first time and did want to risk anything. The weight will go up eventually if my heart doesn't pop out of my chest first.