The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Looking for Some Help

I have been really getting into the idea doing MMA. If football does not work out for me next year or after the season i want to do MMA. Im just not sure where to start.

I have never done wrestling, boxing, kung fu, etc. So should i do wrestling first next year after football before starting MMA? Ive heard from a couple guys at my school thats the best thing to do. How should i train now? i barely do endurance training and go heavy 50% of the time(im on westside)

I would like to train for MMA and football now and kill two birds with one stone so i can start MMA sooner. It was also recomended to me that i lose some weight and compete with a smaller weight class since im very inexperienced. I currently weigh 155lbs at 5' 7". I know people keep telling me that its not a good idea, that with my strength i will lose strength and speed if i try and lose weight but is there anyway at all i could continue getting stronger for football and smaller for MMA?

As you can see if you read through all of that im pretty lost. Any advice, suggestions will really help.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 05-26-2009 at 05:30 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

155 is a good weight. That would put you in a light weight division. If you wanted to fight lighter you would have to drop 10 lbs to fight at feather weight which would probably take a toll on your strength. And most guys who fight feather weight are shorter than 5' 8" and would be carrying around more mass. If i were you i would focus more on maintaining your weight and increasing your strength.
    Confidence ... Its The Food Of The Wise Man ... But The Liquor Of The Fools.

Find a good Brazilian Jujitsu gym and go from there. Most offer other classes like Mui Tai for stand up.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 775/575/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/415/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Banned
    Doesnt matter what weight class your in, there will be guys that know how to fight at ANY weight. You should really start wrestling before you do anything. But you can just jump in there and be successful if you take it serious.

At this point, figure out what is more important to you, football or MMA. If it's football, don't even think about losing weight. Keep working on getting stronger and keep gaining weight. The season isn't that far away and you'll lose weight during the season anyway. If it's MMA, start looking for schools and don't lose weight. You're still young and if you ever want to fight, you can always cut later on. Build your base now and worry about a weight after you have some experience. There's a good chance you'll lean out once you start training and then you can drop to a lower class if you want.

If you want to wrestle, then wrestle. Don't wrestle based on thinking you want to do MMA sometime. Don't wrestle because you think it might help you out, because you could be training other arts while you're at wrestling practice and getting a more well rounded base started.

PM brawl. he has an MMA gym (i think).. his son won his first match a few weeks ago.

Thanks guys. I found a school by my house that i will look into more after the football season.

I would focus on one right now, if football is your first choice, go with that, and gain as much size and strength as you can. It will be easy to cut weight later if you have to. If you are in high school I would join the wrestling team, it will help. It's not the end of the world if you don't though. As someone else said, most BJJ gyms will also have a Muay Thai class for stand up, so you can just learn both at the same time.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Quote Originally Posted by Y2A View Post
    I would focus on one right now, if football is your first choice, go with that, and gain as much size and strength as you can. It will be easy to cut weight later if you have to. If you are in high school I would join the wrestling team, it will help. It's not the end of the world if you don't though. As someone else said, most BJJ gyms will also have a Muay Thai class for stand up, so you can just learn both at the same time.
    This is most likely what im going to do. Thanks for all of the advice everyone.

Banned
    I would give Jamie Hale a hollar at maxcondition.com, He is very wise in the ways of MMA training and Coaching... Tell him I sent you

Ill go find him now, thanks Will. I also sent Brawl a PM.

I just found this, its a good article on going from powerlifting to mma training. Thought i would post here for any one else who may be interested.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/po...o_fighting.htm

Wannabebig New Member
    If football is your 1st commitment then do your thing . Dont try to gain too much weight though .

Find a good gym . Wrestling will help a lot but if it means not going to an mma gym so you can wrestle then I would say dont join the wrestling team and join the gym .

For getting into fight shape try googling " ross training " he is a fitness freak with great ideas and workouts .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

After footbal season wrestle. Wrestling is a great base for mma. They condition like crazy. Plus it's free. After that you will know whether having a sweaty guy on top of you is your thing.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 05-29-2009 at 11:13 AM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I just joined an MMA class about 2 or 3 months ago. I had absoultely no experience in it whatsoever. They'll whip you right into shape. I go to the gym on my own time also, and still train hard and heavy (well, relatively speaking). The place I go can get me a fight if I want it. They can get me an MMA fight, boxing, wrestling, jujitsu, etc...whatever I want. I'm definately not ready though. Personally, I'm just doing it to get into great shape, and I doubt I'll be fighting anytime soon, if at all. But due to the increasing popularity of MMA, there are tons of places like the one I go to around. I honestly don't think that you have to do wrestling first or anything like that to be preparred to start training at an MMA place. Just go there and start training. Train hard as hell, and you'll get out of it what you put into it.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Brawl, thanks for the response. I will continue training for football but i will try and eat maintnance so i dont gain weight. I will check into "ross training"

Vdizenzo, im most likely going to do wrestling. I thought about it alot today. Like you said, its free and the conditioning plus wrestling couldnt hurt. whats wrong with a little man love.
    No Homo

Brihead301, Thanks for the help man. I will most likely do wrestling first. Like i said above, i doubt it could hurt.
    Last edited by slashkills; 05-29-2009 at 09:41 PM.