Thread: Benching-straight weight vs bands/chains.

Benching-straight weight vs bands/chains.

Hello,
    How often do you guys use straight weight vs bands/chains on max bench day?
    At the moment I do about half my max days with straight weight and half using bands or chains is that enough straight weight?
    Thank you!
    Last edited by NickAus; 05-27-2009 at 05:19 AM.

Do you use gear? Where is your sticking point? You shouldnt use bands just to use them. Find your weak point and pick exercises that will build it.

Nick you are trying to get Rob and me in an argument arent you? lol We just went into this a week ago or so....rob yelled at me, but I am right lol
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

LOL, asking for a Paul vs. Rob thread

Do a search, like Paul said, this topic was covered in depth not too long ago at all
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by slashkills View Post
    Do you use gear? Where is your sticking point? You shouldnt use bands just to use them. Find your weak point and pick exercises that will build it.
    I agree with this. Work your weaknesses and you get stronger. It's that simple.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Paul vs. Rob LMAO! We all know thats an easy victory for me. Paul has basically become my student. Not a very good student because he never listens to me. Reminds me of my son. But then my son likes straight weight.

Quote Originally Posted by rob luyando View Post
    paul vs. Rob lmao! We all know thats an easy victory for me. Paul has basically become my student. Not a very good student because he never listens to me. Reminds me of my son. But then my son likes straight weight.
    roflmbfao

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I already told ya Rob..my son came up to me the other day with some tie down bungee straps and was showing me exercises he could do with bands....chip off the old block! Even a 7 yr old knows bands are good!

I usually call you for advice to know what I shouldnt do....
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by bencher8 View Post
    I already told ya Rob..my son came up to me the other day with some tie down bungee straps and was showing me exercises he could do with bands....chip off the old block! Even a 7 yr old knows bands are good!

I usually call you for advice to know what I shouldnt do....

And I had a talk with your wife about bands as well. LOL!

If you don't hit something close to what you are capable of at this next meet I'm giving you an "F" and kicking you out of class.

Just read the thread, learnt alot.

Paul has been very helpful to me and and have been following his training.

Rob how often do you use bands if ever? It did not say.

I use them for 3 week DE cycles, and then I'll use them for ME if I'm using chains for DE work.

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    Just read the thread, learnt alot.

Paul has been very helpful to me and and have been following his training.

Rob how often do you use bands if ever? It did not say.

Paul should I ripp this kid a new one or what? LOL!

OK a two part answer.

In a shirt I never use bands or chains. Bands and chains change the groove of shirted benching. Much to often I have seen guys that hit crazy **** in the gym with bands and chains and then get to a meet and fall apart with weight that should be a joke to them. Why is this. Its SIMPLE they don't spend enough time using real weight in a shirt. Shirts are tricky enough with out changing the groove by adding chains or bands. Master the shirted groove with real weight and make the groove become instinctive. Guys that cycle bands, chains, and straight weight usually lack the technique and have problems at meets. It may be a small man disease where they need to handle crazy weight but can only do it part of the motion with bands and chains. To get over that they can use straight weight and use different brd heights allow for crazy overloads.

OK now onto raw assitance work. Before roughly a year ago I never used bands. I used chains for speed work and once in a while for heavy lock outs. My speed has always been lacking so I went out whoring for advice and spoke with the biggest band whore there is Paul Key. Paul has sick speed and suggested trying lockouts with heavy band tension. And it worked my speed has increased still not sick speed but it has improved. Now I cycle my lock outs day in 4 week phases straight weight, Heavy Band tension, and floor presses. It keeps me my body guessing and has really helped my lock out strength. I use bands or chains for my speed work.

Now note unlike a certain Bencher(8) I take good advice and put it to use.

That is very helpful, thanks Rob.

That makes sense about the groove changing, I have been taking peoples advice and it has paid off my shirted bench has gone from 340 to 470 @ 210 in less than 12 months.
    I just hit a strong 490 with a pause off the 2 board last Sunday.

I am thankful for guys like you who help beginners like me!

come on Bencher8 debate with me.

I almost never use bands or chains but I have a very short bench stroke (about 4 inches raw and 6 in a tight shirt). I don't move the weight far enough to feel that I'm getting much benefit from them. Similar situation on squats. I wear 30 length jeans at just under 5'10" (short legs) and squat very wide. I might move a foot to hit depth. I think guys (and gals) who have to push the weight farther get more benefit from the bands and / or chains. With my situation I don't think I get enough effect to be worth the setup time. I do a lot of 2 and 1 board benching in the shirt and more to the chest as the meet nears. 3 boards is pretty useless for me.
    Last edited by mastermonster; 05-29-2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: More info.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)