The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Bench Grip

Wannabebig Member

Bench Grip

I'm sure this has been talked about before over and over. And at this moment i'm to lazy to look it up. I was talking to this guy up at the gym today, clearly he knows what he is talking about by just looking at him. We was talking about bench and I was sayin im wanting to hit 405 and he asked me about my form. And on my grip I told him that I put my pinky on the the marks on the bar, which I thought that was the standard way. He told me if I put my index finger on the bar for a wider grip that should really jump my bench up. So is that actually the standard bench grip?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It's different for everyone. Switch up your grips and get stronger with all of them, and in the process you'll find out which one is strongest for you without causing shoulder and pec discomfort.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Wannabebig Member
    Well like I said I normally put my pinky on the marks, but doing it wider than that would be a change up for me, so maybe it would help.

Wannabebig New Member
    personally i put my index finger on the mark and my thumb underneath the bar next to my index finger.
    6'2 - 221 pounds - 8% BF

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cdavis50 View Post
    I was talking to this guy up at the gym today, clearly he knows what he is talking about by just looking at him.
    Hmm, you can't always make the assumption.

We was talking about bench and I was sayin im wanting to hit 405 and he asked me about my form. And on my grip I told him that I put my pinky on the the marks on the bar, which I thought that was the standard way.
    There is no "standard way" everybody is different.

He told me if I put my index finger on the bar for a wider grip that should really jump my bench up. So is that actually the standard bench grip?
    You *may* bench more with a wider grip, but that's not always the case. I used to bench as wide as possible, because I have really long arms that's what everybody always told me to do. But right around the time I was close to getting 315, I started expirementing with my grip placement. I moved my grip in about a inch each hand and I could immediately bench 20 pounds more. When benching raw, I frequently vary my grip (slightly) and it doesn't seem to make much of a differene anymore.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 05-27-2009 at 09:37 AM.

vary ur grip by one finger at a time. moving ur hands out too much at first will feel bad and your body may not be used to it.(shoulder chest)
    one week pinky then ring then middle then index. or spend two weeks at each grip. there is your next 8 weeks on the bench right there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    Hmm, you can't always make the assumption.

There is no "standard way" everybody is different.

You *may* bench more with a wider grip, but that's not always the case. I used to bench as wide as possible, because I have really long arms that's what everybody always told me to do. But right around the time I was close to getting 315, I started expirementing with my grip placement. I moved my grip in about a inch each hand and I could immediately bench 20 pounds more. When benching raw, I frequently vary my grip (slightly) and it doesn't seem to make much of a differene anymore.
    Same thing happened with me...I am 6'5" and have long arms. Was told to go wide so I went outside the rings with my index fingers. The other day I put my index fingers right on the ring and it was definitely easier. I think the key is to balance tricep and chest. I think when I was too wide I wasnt utilizing my triceps enough.

Wannabebig Member
    A lot of good points were made here. Everyone IS different when it comes to hand positioning on a bar, and I would be as patient as possible when it comes to moving your hands out to a wider than normal (for you) grip. For me, when I bench raw, my strongest hand position is with my pinkies on the ring, but when using a shirt, my middle or index fingers are on the rings.

Wannabebig Member
    my pinkys go on the line. But i know a bunch of people who actually use a closer grip than that