The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Weight Gain vs Strength Gain

Here are my numbers:

I'm 6'1'' 148lbs and I bench 175 @ 3 sets X 5, my 1RM at squat is probably around 350-360, but I do 3 sets of 7 at 300. I do lunges at 160 (3X5), standing military press at 130 (3X5), powercleans at 160 (3X5). I do about 100 pushups per set and about 30 pullups.

My military press has continued to grow, as have all my leg/core exercises, but it seems my bench gains are moving like a snail and over the last month I have had to work my way slowly back up to 175 (I actually had a strength loss on the bench, it droped down to 155). My weight has been pretty static over the last 2 months, but I gained about 20lbs in the 3 months preceding that.

How important is weight gain to gaining strength? Can anyone recommend something to supplement my bench with to get that weight up faster?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

What routine/program do you follow?

Weighted dips and Close grip bench would supplement your bench nicely.....oh and gaining more weight

Edit: That squattin' is not too shabby at all!
    Last edited by -JM-; 05-27-2009 at 08:18 AM.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah, gaining weight is a bitch for me... but I'm hopefully starting to again. Weighted dips, where do you set the weight, on your lap? Also, when you do dips, which is better, to set your heels on the floor or on another bench?

Edit: Or wait, are you talking about bench dips or chest dips?
    Last edited by Supra98x; 05-27-2009 at 08:40 AM.

Well it is important to gain weight to gain strength. But still strength has to do a lot with CNS and some guy your size can be stronger then you. Eat a lil more and take a look at the list of compound exercises that are best for muscles:

http://www.36pounds.com/2009/04/25/t...r-skinny-guys/

Hope this helps

schmitty199
    No way to say how much stronger you'll get, but put on 10-15 pounds and I have a feeling you'll be impressed with how much better your lifts get.
    Height:5'10
    Weight: 203
    Bench-295
    Squat-515
    Hclean-305
    JOURNAL: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ight=schmittys

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by schmitty199 View Post
    No way to say how much stronger you'll get, but put on 10-15 pounds and I have a feeling you'll be impressed with how much better your lifts get.
    Yeah, I'm shooting to get to 170 and then cut 5-7lbs to really bring out my new found physique. Thank's for the tips everyone, very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Supra98x View Post
    Yeah, gaining weight is a bitch for me... but I'm hopefully starting to again. Weighted dips, where do you set the weight, on your lap? Also, when you do dips, which is better, to set your heels on the floor or on another bench?

Edit: Or wait, are you talking about bench dips or chest dips?
    These...

This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Banned
    How important is weight gain to gaining strength?
    Not to say that you can't get stronger without gaining some mass, but like the saying says, "mass moves mass".

I do about 100 pushups per set and about 30 pullups. (snip)
    Can anyone recommend something to supplement my bench with to get that weight up faster?
    Sure, drop the pushups. I used to do high rep pushups ( because of Taekwondo ) and it killed my bench ( well, actually back then my bench sucked, I didn't have a bench to kill, lol ). If you want your max bench to improve, you have to train for strength ( high rep pushups is not training for strength ). What's your current training routine?
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 05-27-2009 at 09:44 AM.

Banned
    Couple red flags I noticed.

1) Your military press is pretty damn close to your bench press in weight. For me, and many others, military press is considerably harder than bench press. For instance, I bench 245 on my last set of my 5x5. I can barely do 135 on military press 5 times. This leads me to believe your low bench press is being hindered by you doing pushup reps...also could be poor form.
    2) Your squats are huge in relation to your bench press. Of course, squats will/should be higher than your bench, but the lifts should increase proportionally for the most part. Its rare to see someone squatting 500+ pounds and only benching 225. Are you going full depth on these? I have never seen a 360ish squat paired with a 175 bench press. Ditto with your power cleans...something just isnt right there.

Do you own a supra? I drove my friends 18 PSI supra a lot in highschool...that thing moved. Love that car. I just bought a 2006 GTO the other day...it has way more low end power but nothing is like 3rd gear and on in a supra.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 05-27-2009 at 09:58 AM.

Also, remember unless you have good genetic or already big it takes time to bench 225,315 etc when you're six months in and/or weigh under 150lbs. If your routine is strong just keep at it and maybe adds some 2.5 on each side of your sets but just continue to work extra hard. Keep a journal and you might be surprise how strong you're getting after 1 month. We all have times where the bench seem to stall.

First, I'd read this and watch the video and work on your bench setup and technique: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...nch_press_cure

Then I would focus on hammering your triceps with stuff like close-grip bench, weighted dips (like Flynn posted) JM presses and triceps extensions, and then lats/upper back with DB/BB rows and all kinds of weighted chin-ups and pull-ups.

Improving your setup and technique alone should get your bench moving again.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler