Thread: question about db bench pressing

question about db bench pressing

Here is a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway: How do you get the dumbbells to your chest when you do db bench pressing. I've always just bench pressed with a bb and, I wanted to switch to dumbells for awhile. But, the weight I need to bench I can't lift both the dumbells from the floor up to my chest. I had 60lbs on each db and there was know way I could get it up above the bench. Do you use a spotter for this? Or is there some other way to lift it up to your chest? thanks.

Might not be textbook, but I begin with the dbs on my knees and throw my knees up and lay back in one motion.
    "When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite."

- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Take a look at this page.. it shows you how to mount and dismount when doing db bench

http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/Pecto...BenchMount.gif

I load the dumbells from my legs as well (similar to the link). I don't pick them up from the floor though because I think that takes too much effort. I just get a bench close to the weight I use on the rack and walk them over from there...
    Obstacles are what you see when you take your mind off the goal.
    -Unknown

Energy and persistence conquer all things.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Maybe it was textbook.
    "When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite."

- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I put the dumbells I am going to use on the bench before the set. When I am ready lift them and sit down with them on my knees. As I sit back I kick them up towards my chest.

If you are saying you can't get the 60 lb dumbells up onto the bench, then maybe you should be working your legs and back instead of working our chest.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Originally posted by LATMAN
    I put the dumbells I am going to use on the bench before the set. When I am ready lift them and sit down with them on my knees. As I sit back I kick them up towards my chest.

If you are saying you can't get the 60 lb dumbells up onto the bench, then maybe you should be working your legs and back instead of working our chest.
    LOL
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

I just put them on my thighs (near my knees) and fall back. I have never even thought about it really. Now incline benching is starting to be slightly more of a PITA, takes more of a kick from the knees, but still not that difficult.

ND
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Bespoke Super Mod
    On my warm up sets I flip them up onto my delts and lie back from there.

On my Work sets I lie back on the bench and extend each arm and have somebody hand the db's one at a time to me.
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

Originally posted by Otter
    Try these . . . .

http://www.bodytrends.com/products/w...powerhooks.htm
    Cool idea, but the barbell would get in the way of the dumbells (at least at my height).

I put them on my knees as well and kick them up as I lie down. But, unlike the gif file, I start with my arms extended very much like BB presses.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

kick em up with your knees, its the only way, works great for incline but its still tough, you get use to it

Originally posted by InferiorDesign
    kick em up with your knees, its the only way, works great for incline but its still tough, you get use to it
    True... It's even tougher when you're doing DB shoulder presses...

Originally posted by LATMAN

Thats what im thinking, how is it possible that you can db press weights but you cant lift them up and lay on a bench with them?

i pick them up, sit down on the bench, lay back with them on my chest, then press. it's not like you have to curl them up to press them.
    my other favorite forum! Check it out!

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/

all right guys. I understand now.

I wasn't saying I couldn't lift them up to the bench. I was laying down first and then trying to lift them up while I was already in the postition to bench. too hard.

Thanks for the help.
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Yea, that would be a tremendous strain on your shoulders.

Good luck!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

True... It's even tougher when you're doing DB shoulder presses...
    Oh yes. Recently I have been having real trouble with this. I kind of throw them up until my arms are straight above my head while i am standing and then sit down with them. Gotta be real careful though.
    Failure is a privelage reserved for those who do not try hard enough

Again .... POWER HOOKS ... they work for bench, incline, decline, military, everything. I have them and use them religiously, they completely eliminate the swing that you're all talking about.

But doesnt the BB get in the way after you start repping with the DBs???
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

No, not at all ... and if it does, all you need to do is slide a little forward. Trust me, when I first saw them I thought there was no way they could work, but they do, and well. I had to do DB incline presses last night, but because I was going for higher reps, the weight was light, so I decided to swing them up like I used to. What a waste of energy, and it takes too long to settle in once you swing up. I'll never press without them again.

Yeah exactly like a few other people said. This might not be textbook but you basically just fling the weights back as you lie back. I put the bells on my knees first and then just toss them back. Always works well for me.

MS

Originally posted by jock

Oh yes. Recently I have been having real trouble with this. I kind of throw them up until my arms are straight above my head while i am standing and then sit down with them. Gotta be real careful though.
    I can't do that anymore because the weights have gotten too heavy. I just have to get a spotter to help me on the first rep because I have no problem heaving the dbs to my shoulders, I just can't get them up since they're in an awkward position.