Pertinent Info

23 years old
    5'10''
    205lbs
    13-15%bf

325 x3 OLY Squat (Sept 18, 2009)
    245 x5 Pendlay Row (Sept 18, 2009)

Hurt Back (inflamed discs)

In effort to work around a pestering back injury I am dramatically scaling back the "strength" training and doing something like this:

Im going to progress ridiculously slow on the squats and start somewhat conservative. I am combining Crossfit and Crossfit Football in which Ill be using SS, then TM, then Madcow progression for the SWOD (strength workout of the day). I am going to progress very slowly for a while on linear increases until I feel more confident. CF recommends 4-6 days of WODS and CF Football has a strength WO then a WOD 4-6 days a week. So, I hope 3 days a week like this will be doable.

DWOD =CF Football Daily Workout of the Day
    WOD =CF Workout of the Day

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Volume:
    Squat
    DWOD
    WOD

Recovery:
    Plyo Circuit (4 movements at about 5x5) (on a 6 week cycle)
    DWOD and/or WOD (one of which is a Clean and Jerk Based WO)

Intensity:
    Squat
    DWOD or WOD
    4x 40m Sprints, 2x 100m Sprints, 1x 400m Sprint

Pre WO: Mobility work, CNS prep

Post WO: 15min SS (eliptical, track, stair, row machine), Foam Rolling, Static Stretching

Squat Loading Pattern- (M,F,M,F) 7x3, 5x5, 4x8, 3x12, start over 5-10lbs heavier

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since CF and CF football do not operate on a 3 day M/W/F schedule, like I prefer, I have to improvise. I will be picking and choosing the DWODs and WODs from within a day or two of the actual WO day. This lets me use a 3 day split and lets me have somewhat of an option when it comes to the kind of (D)WOD Ill be doing and work around potential combinations that could prove haphazard. IE: no snatching after heavy squats.

Tomorrow begins "Recovery" day. I am really looking forward to such a dramatic change in pace.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 10-20-2009 at 06:31 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

You sound just like me man. Once I hit 325 on squats, I started to really f*** s*** up in my back. I had to reset, and I've never made it back up to 300 again since. See, with squats I really take things slow. The 5/3/1 is working nicely for me since I only increase by 5 lbs./month yet I'm still shooting for rep PR's every session. For my back's sake, there is no rush to get my squat numbers super high.

It happened when I was on the TM too, because I was so agressive in my weight increases (10 lbs./week). My back just wasn't ready for it.

Good luck though man.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Yea, Bri, sounds like Im following your lead!

Everything today was abbreviated, my cardio shape is not very good right now.... time to fix that.

Plyo Circuit x2 times through
    Jump Tuck x5
    Single Leg Bounding x5 each leg
    Long Jumps x5
    Speed Box Jumps x10

DWOD x2 times through
    45lb Squat Thrusters x5
    Knees to Elbows x5

WOD x2 times through
    35lb KB Swings x10
    Pullups x5
    Sarvamangalam!

Same thing happened to me when I hit over 300 with 20 reppers. BAM! I'd be laid up for a couple of weeks. I think mixing things up more has helped me.

Anyways...I wish you luck on your new routine. You should definately get to be a conditioned son-of-a-gun.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Good luck with the new plans, you should bounce back well and then some down the line.

I am surprised your back at it already, how is the back??. Good luck with the new training style, we all need a change sometimes.
    I am also sitting out with a lower back injury and I can't wait to lift again.

OLY Squat easy, felt great on the back... very pleased
    225 x 3x5

DWOD: Volkswagen
    21, 15, 9 of
    135lb Bench
    Pullups

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Same thing happened to me when I hit over 300 with 20 reppers. BAM! I'd be laid up for a couple of weeks. I think mixing things up more has helped me.

Anyways...I wish you luck on your new routine. You should definately get to be a conditioned son-of-a-gun.
    Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Good luck with the new plans, you should bounce back well and then some down the line.
    Gracias Coke! I hope thats what happens!

Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    I am surprised your back at it already, how is the back??. Good luck with the new training style, we all need a change sometimes.
    I am also sitting out with a lower back injury and I can't wait to lift again.
    Yea, me too. I just recovered real quick from the day I re-hurt it. Today felt great, so Im just gonna keep it slow and easy. Thanks for the kind words Elm!
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 10-02-2009 at 10:59 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

What is this DWOD Volkswagen?

DWOD = Daily Workout of the Day

"Volkswagen" is a named benchmark workout from CF Football.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Liking those squats, pullups, and all dude.

OLY Squat
    3x5 @ 225

WOD
    21, 15, 9, 3 rep rounds of:
    Power Clean 95lbs
    Situps
    GHR
    (Time: 20 minutes +/- 30 seconds)

DWOD
    3 rounds:
    1/2 Gasser (40 yd Sprint, touch floor, 40 yd sprint)
    10 Pushups
    30sec Rest

Fun WO today. Im still holding back from going full tilt on the (D)WODs. The volume is about 60% of what is prescribed and my intensity level is around 60% of what I am capable of. Probably next Monday Ill be going on all cylinders, maybe sooner if I continue to recover well and if my back stays in check.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    What is this DWOD Volkswagen?
    Its the name of the WO. They have all kinds of goofy names (Cindy, Helen, Nasty Girls, Quarter Gone Bad, Workout gone Bad, etc...)

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    DWOD = Daily Workout of the Day

"Volkswagen" is a named benchmark workout from CF Football.
    Thanks!

Liking those squats, pullups, and all dude.
    Thanks for your continued encouragement Coke!
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 10-05-2009 at 12:19 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Are you intending to do two WOD's as well as strength work every day Zen? If so, is there a reason?
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    Are you intending to do two WOD's as well as strength work every day Zen? If so, is there a reason?
    Monday is 3x5 Squat + a DWOD + WOD

Wed is Plyo circuit + DWOD and/or WOD

Friday is Squat 3x5+ DWOD or WOD + Sprints

So 2 days of very low volume lifting (ie 1 single movement), and 4(min) - 5(max) WODs in a 3 day period (+ some random plyo and sprints)
    -----------

My justification is this:

CF Football recommends 4-6 days of a strength WO and a DWOD.

CF recommends 5-6 days of WOD

I figure 3 days arragned how I have them might work. Also, I used to swim on an elite level (All American in 100 Fly and back stroke and 400 IM and 500 free) and it doesnt take much training to shine up my cardio abilities... so Im thinking I can handle the cardio volume since I can handle a large workload or aerobic activity. Since it is the cardio that is pushing the volume envelope I have the room to have more than less.... hopefully.

What were you thinking?

Also, if anyone has any input, I have been considering loading my squats like this:

3x5, 5x5, 4x8, 3x12 (M, F, M, F) then moving up weight (10lbs) and doing the same cycle. So Id be on 225 for all of those rep ranges (2 weeks), then 235, etc...

This may be an odd/bad/dumb idea, but it will keep me from moving up weight too fast and might be fun. Any thoughts on that?
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 10-06-2009 at 08:54 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

My apologies, I thought you had intended to do both strength work and two WOD's 3 times a week. I personally felt that would maybe be a bit much, however your current plan looks great.
    My Journal

Still not to full tilt yet... getting closer.... today was about 70% effort and 70% of prescribed volume.

Plyo Circuit - 3 rounds
    Start Jumps to 42'' box x5
    Tuck Jump x5
    Single Leg Bound 40 meters per leg
    Bounding Long Jumps 40 meters

WOD #1 Power Jerk 1+1+1+1+1+1+1
    135 x4
    145 x2
    155 x1

WOD #2: Fat Helen - 3 rounds
    55lb KB swing x21
    12 Strict Pullups

Notes:
    So much fun to have something different everyday to WO with. The basics are static (squatting, plyos, sprints) but the meat of the WO is unpredictable and thereby exciting and challenging for me, all the while still progressing on my squats.

WOD #1 was too light, I should have gone 30-40lbs heavier.

WOD #2 I called "Fat Helen" because "Helen" has a 400 meter run in the circuit, which I didnt do.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 10-07-2009 at 11:26 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Nice seeing you go at it this way, you'll be full throttle soon enough.

"Fat" Helen...LOL
    Doing different things is a lot of fun.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Very interesting workout here. Pylometric stuff is pretty cool. I do a lot of that in my MMA, but it's not a HUGE focus.
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

ok zen, when are the big lifts coming out. i better see some squatting soon where you're moving 315 around like it's a warmup.

This isn't I "Wanna Be crossfit"
    Last edited by Cards; 10-08-2009 at 03:18 PM.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

OLY Squat
    5x5 @ 225 - still easy... ready to move up weight at a consistent rate... I think

DWOD
    5 Rounds:
    Hand Stand Pushups x8 (used toes on wall for balance)
    Ring Pullups x8
    Decline Situps x8
    36" Box Jump x8

Nice seeing you go at it this way, you'll be full throttle soon enough.
    Yessir!

"Fat" Helen...LOL
    Doing different things is a lot of fun.
    You bet man, Im lusting for "strength training" again....

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Very interesting workout here. Pylometric stuff is pretty cool. I do a lot of that in my MMA, but it's not a HUGE focus.
    I agree. I love plyos. Right now the 6 week circuit I am running has movements that are used to increase running acceleration, start speed, and top speed. Next 6 weeks Ill work on change of direction/ foot dexterity, jump height and jump duration and beyond that probably go back and forth between them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    ok zen, when are the big lifts coming out. i better see some squatting soon where you're moving 315 around like it's a warmup.

This isn't I "Wanna Be crossfit"
    Soon my friend, soon. My back is doing much better so I can at least begin moving up weight in my 5x5. After that Ill probably drop to 7x3 twice a week then back to something like Texas Method, although, Ill probably only load it like that for squats, as I am loving being in great condition and seems like a good way to avoid future back injuries since my back is already not well off, its just gonna be a slow process (intentionally so).
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 10-10-2009 at 03:50 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Good stuff today. Squats are going well on the back, which I am extremely grateful for. I think Ill go for 265 x 3x5 on Friday and begin increasing from there at 5- 10lbs on Mondays and Fridays... still unsure on how fast I want to progress... I can probably handle 10lb jumps 2x a week but dont know how my back will take it.... we will see!

OLY Squat still light feeling
    3x5 @ 245

DWOD - Weighted Pullup -1RM (1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)
    BW+ 50 lb DB x1
    BW+ 60 lb DB x1
    BW+ 70 lb DB x1
    BW+ 80 lb DB x1
    BW+ 90 lb DB x1
    BW+ 100 lb DB x1
    BW+ 110 lb DB x1 - nice!

WOD- Elizabeth - 21 - 15 - 9 reps of:
    135lb Clean
    Dips
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 10-12-2009 at 12:44 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Nice workout zen..squats are looking good! And I dont even know what to say about your pull ups..other than you're a bastard!

Holy cr@p on the Pull Ups dude
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Ya man, definately some impressive pulling strength - bw + 110!!! damn.

DWOD: 3 rounds of:
    9x Power Cleans & Split Jerks @ 175lbs
    400 meter row

Plyo Circuit: 4 rounds of:
    Flexor Deload + Start Jumps onto 42'' box x5
    Jump Tucks x5
    Single Leg Bounding x 40 meters per leg
    Long Jump Bounding x 40 meters

WOD
    3.2 Kilometer Run (3200 meters/ 8 times around track)

Well, Im beginning to feel the benefits of my hybrid Crossfit/CF Football/SS routine. BF % is down, body weight is static, strength is increasing and cardio ability is increasing. Not to mention I am seeing benefits of the gymnastic portion of CF in other areas of training and daily life. I feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    Nice workout zen..squats are looking good! And I dont even know what to say about your pull ups..other than you're a bastard!
    Thanks B! Haha, I got lucky with pulling strength... not much else! I guess thats what years of swimming does.

Holy cr@p on the Pull Ups dude
    Thanks OR!

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Ya man, definately some impressive pulling strength - bw + 110!!! damn.
    Thanks Bri!
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 10-20-2009 at 03:09 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!