The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,808

    Need some good new post-hardcore bands

    I'm looking to expand my post-hardcore music selection, right now I'm listening to Saosin, Circa Survive, Moneen, Envy, Brand New, Silverstein, Alexisonfire, Trophy Scars and many others. I know this genre isn't quite as active as it was about 4 years ago but I'm hoping that some good bands might've come out since then that I haven't picked up on.

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Risk10k Clifford Gillmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    5,760
    Between the Buried and Me.

  4. #3
    Paul killxswitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    Between the Buried and Me.
    Is that a joke or have they really mellowed out?

    Sorry man I haven't been into that scene in a long time so I don't know what the good "new" bands are these days. I still listen to Underoath and Finch on occasion, do you like them at all?

  5. #4
    Who me? Chubrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,738
    Emery.

    Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

  6. #5
    Risk10k Clifford Gillmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    5,760
    Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    Is that a joke or have they really mellowed out?
    There is some grooovin polka on Colors, some baroque, I think there is some trip hop in there too.

  7. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    3,101
    what is "post-hardcore"

  8. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    1,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    what is "post-hardcore"
    Nowadays most of the similar sounds would be wedged into the emo collective...

    Honestly why go for the new stuff? I would stick with some Fugazi, they really defined that scene and put out a ton of records.

  9. #8
    Senior Member bass slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    598
    is this considered post hardcore???? Project 86- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFNsJ5T3laY


    Do you listen to any Metalcore or Screamo? Hears a list of bands that I like.

    As I lay dying
    Underoath
    The devil wears prada
    Attack Attack
    Alesana
    The showdown
    Kill switch engage
    Impending doom
    Silverstein
    August Burns Red
    Bullet for my Valentine
    Senses fail
    Becoming the archetype
    age: 21

    height: 6'3

    weight: 175

    short term goal: 200

    Long term goal: Lean 225

  10. #9
    Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,808
    Quote Originally Posted by bass slayer View Post
    is this considered post hardcore???? Project 86- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFNsJ5T3laY


    Do you listen to any Metalcore or Screamo? Hears a list of bands that I like.

    As I lay dying
    Underoath
    The devil wears prada
    Attack Attack
    Alesana
    The showdown
    Kill switch engage
    Impending doom
    Silverstein
    August Burns Red
    Bullet for my Valentine
    Senses fail
    Becoming the archetype
    Thanks for the suggestions, I've actually listened to all those but Attack Attack, and Impending doom.

    I've been on a big metal/hardcore kick for awhile now, and just the other day (when I made this post) I was listening to some Moneen and Brand New and reminded me how much I like that genre.

  11. #10
    Senior Member bass slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    598
    Yeah, Ive been a fan of this genre for a while also. Alot of people dont understand it. They think that if their screaming and the music is heavy, it automatically makes it devil music. There's nothing better than a good double bass drum and thundering vocals. It just really appeals to me.
    age: 21

    height: 6'3

    weight: 175

    short term goal: 200

    Long term goal: Lean 225

  12. #11
    GFH Lones Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    6,863
    Quote Originally Posted by bass slayer View Post
    Yeah, Ive been a fan of this genre for a while also. Alot of people dont understand it. They think that if their screaming and the music is heavy, it automatically makes it devil music. There's nothing better than a good double bass drum and thundering vocals. It just really appeals to me.
    There are lots of us on here that listen to death metal.

    "post hardcore" is pretty much dead. If any bands like that come out nowadays they pretty much suck, haha. I was never into the genre, and it was huge when I was a teenager into music.

    All that vote for turning this thread into a death metal thread, say I, haha
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

    825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

  13. #12
    Risk10k Clifford Gillmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    5,760
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    There are lots of us on here that listen to death metal.

    "post hardcore" is pretty much dead. If any bands like that come out nowadays they pretty much suck, haha. I was never into the genre, and it was huge when I was a teenager into music.

    All that vote for turning this thread into a death metal thread, say I, haha
    To make the transition EASY, I should list some some 'gap' bands, that don't quite fit into the void.

    The Haunted,
    Face Down,
    At the Gates....


    Now we can go ahead and talk about Deicide and Napalm Death

  14. #13
    II MrWebb78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Sac
    Posts
    5,954
    conducting from the grave
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

    There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

    If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

    6'2"
    273 lbs.

  15. #14
    Senior Member bass slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    598
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    There are lots of us on here that listen to death metal.

    "post hardcore" is pretty much dead. If any bands like that come out nowadays they pretty much suck, haha. I was never into the genre, and it was huge when I was a teenager into music.

    All that vote for turning this thread into a death metal thread, say I, haha
    Yeah I actually am not into post hardcore that much, but actually was reffering to screamo, metalcore, and some death metal. Should have made that clear. I like my music HEAVY.
    age: 21

    height: 6'3

    weight: 175

    short term goal: 200

    Long term goal: Lean 225

  16. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    At a slight angle to the universe
    Posts
    1,816
    Quote Originally Posted by bass slayer View Post
    They think that if their screaming and the music is heavy, it automatically makes it devil music.
    No, I just think it sucks. The Devil always had the best tunes, not the worst tunes. When I think of "The Devil's Music", I think of certain types of early Blues, some voodoo-inspired Roots, avant-garde noise, and earth-shattering classical music. Stuff with soul y'know? Could equally be God's Music, I suppose.

    Most post-hardcore is just a total parody of itself. A limp, sexless, pathetic joke that takes itself far far too seriously while all the other music giggles to itself. If musical genres had parties and socialised together you know...

    That's not to say there isn't good stuff out there. I'm not just hating for the sake of it, but most commercial "post-hardcore" sucks balls.

    As somebody else once said, "Alesana? LOLcore."

    My advice would be to go see some local bands, and find some smaller record labels. My flatmate and several friends play in what would be termed hardcore/punk/screamo etc bands. Its not really my thing but I can appreciate what they do on some level, and they're pretty active in the UK scene. Minor releases, some latenight radio-play, touring, that sort of thing. Infinitely better than what you'll see on MTV.

    Or you could move past it and get into noise bands, and experimental stuff. That gets pretty interesting and will feature a far higher level of musicainship and authenticity. Or go the other way. As Keith Richards once said, "Nowadays everybody worries so much about the Rock they've forgotten about the Roll."
    Last edited by J.C.; 06-07-2009 at 07:02 AM.

  17. #16
    GFH Lones Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    6,863
    Just because I like this band:

    Video
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

    825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

  18. #17
    Paul killxswitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    To make the transition EASY, I should list some some 'gap' bands, that don't quite fit into the void.

    The Haunted,
    Face Down,
    At the Gates....


    Now we can go ahead and talk about Deicide and Napalm Death
    The Haunted and At the Gates are two of my favorites of all time. What "gap" do they fit into exactly? I guess they are a bit thrashy as well but I haven't had genre debates in years so I might not do too well here.

    I used to get as extreme as I could, with bands like Nile and Cryptopsy where my level of enjoyment depended on the BPM the drummer was capable of. I've mellowed out more though and have really enjoyed the melodic death stuff lately, the Gothenburg sound our whatever. Old In Flames, Mercenary, Scar Symmetry, Dark Tranquility, Soilwork, etc.

  19. #18
    Risk10k Clifford Gillmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    5,760
    Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    The Haunted and At the Gates are two of my favorites of all time. What "gap" do they fit into exactly? I guess they are a bit thrashy as well but I haven't had genre debates in years so I might not do too well here.

    I used to get as extreme as I could, with bands like Nile and Cryptopsy where my level of enjoyment depended on the BPM the drummer was capable of. I've mellowed out more though and have really enjoyed the melodic death stuff lately, the Gothenburg sound our whatever. Old In Flames, Mercenary, Scar Symmetry, Dark Tranquility, Soilwork, etc.
    ATG and the Haunted I think are both kind of Trashcore. I mean, screaming, chunky riffing etc. They are not metalcore, they are not pure trash, they are not punk, so they get lumped into the 'core' genre. The Haunted Made me Do it is one of my all time favourite records.


    OH! And Parkway Drive's Horizons is a ****ing awesome example of math metal and melodic harcore, check em out.

  20. #19
    Senior Member bass slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    598
    Heres a good song


    Video
    age: 21

    height: 6'3

    weight: 175

    short term goal: 200

    Long term goal: Lean 225

Similar Threads

  1. Pre-Workout Nutrition REVISITED
    By Slim Schaedle in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 07:13 PM
  2. Westside Primer/FAQ by Kethnaab
    By Sentinel in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2006, 04:39 PM
  3. Good Trance/Happy Hardcore?
    By Clifford Gillmore in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-01-2006, 12:57 PM
  4. Is chocolate milk a good post HIIT drink?
    By Ironman8 in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-07-2003, 12:55 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •