The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

At the corner of 1st & 1st getting there's Avatar

Best Motivational Quotes

I've heard alot and I am sure people have heard this one before, but it is my favorite;

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

I don't think I have ever heard a better quote that actually verbalizes why I do what I do...lift weights.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.

- Vince Lombardi

I've always liked this one, whether applied to training or life:

"You have to do what others won't, to achieve what others don't"
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

"Lift that s*** you f***ing p***y!!" - Me
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

You do it as tough as it is possible to do and you do that in all things. You die hard..... YOU DIE HARD

- Any Given Sunday

If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
    I actually found this one kind of humerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    I actually found this one kind of humerous.
    What does it have to do with your upper arm?
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

"What? Over? Did you say 'over'? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! And it ain't over now! 'Cause when the going gets tough…the tough get going! Who's with me? Let's go!…What the **** happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts? Huh? This could be the greatest night of our lives, but you're going to let it be the worst. 'Oh, we're afraid to go with you, Bluto. We might get in trouble.' Well, just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this!" - Blutarsky
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how" - Friedrich Nietzsche
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards."

&

"There's no substitute for guts."

Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

Damn Guido,thats funny stuff.Been a looooong time since I've heard that one.

Ryan Hale

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Hale View Post
    Damn Guido,thats funny stuff.Been a looooong time since I've heard that one.

Ryan Hale
    An oldie but a goodie.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    The one in my sig.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rollins
    I don't believe in fate or destiny. I believe in various degrees of hatred, paranoia, and abandonment. However much of that gets heaped upon you doesn't matter - it's only a matter of how much you can take and what it does to you.
    Love.

Just answered my own question.
    Last edited by Altephor; 05-28-2009 at 07:39 PM.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

Quote Originally Posted by Altephor View Post
    This might be a silly question but I've never known. Is Henry Rollins who wrote in Iron Magazine the same as the singer/songwriter? I assume so because their style seems similar. If it is, I really enjoy all his writings.
    Same gentleman. Henry recently was added to Australia's 'watch list', he was reading 'Jihad!' on a plane, and he was reported. Curse my fat ignorant brethren.

Yeah, I could never find that article in his quotes but just did a little search for it. I really like most of his quotes, especially ones dealing with women. Anyways, in regards to the initial post:

"The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

Quote Originally Posted by Altephor View Post
    Yeah, I could never find that article in his quotes but just did a little search for it. I really like most of his quotes, especially ones dealing with women. Anyways, in regards to the initial post:

"The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."
    One of my faves. I'm kind of a Rollins fan in case you couldn't guess.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

Persistence, Persistence. Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Calvin Coolidge
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

"I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot... and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why... I succeed."

Michael Jordan

I really like this quote. People can apply this to everything in life.

“Sometimes its not enough to do your best, sometimes you must do what is required.”

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week

Line from a Jay Z verse, but sure someone said it before him lol..
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

although in fairness the line that comes after it probably shouldn't be inspiring people lol..

I do this in my sleep,
    I sell Kilos of coke, (so?) I'm guessin' I can sell CD's
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal