Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A few questions regarding losing weight and gaining muscle

I don't think you should drop any weight. You're skinny fat and I would bet even if you dropped more weight, you won't be happy with what you see. You just don't have the base that warrants a cut. No need to go crazy, but eat over maintenance and focus on getting stronger and you'll thank us. Go your route and you'll be off these boards fast and still unhappy with your body.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    Here's a picture.

You are amazingly skinny :/. If you call that flab i am the ****ing michelin man .

Last edited by LuNa; 05-29-2009 at 07:38 PM.

Weak Mofo
    EDIT: Thanks for the help
    Last edited by Mike S; 05-29-2009 at 07:52 PM.

I agree just hit it in the weight room. Your little bit of fat will not be there long once your squat, OH press, and deadlift numbers start creeping up high.

Unless you're going to run 2-3 steroid cycles a year, you're going to have to live with a little bit of fat while you gain muscle.
    Last edited by samadhi_smiles; 05-30-2009 at 08:42 AM.

I agree with everyone. If I were you Id find my maintenance calories and stay there for 6 weeks. It is likely that you will recompose a bit at maintenance since you are a newb to training. You could even do a carb cycle at your maintenance level for a more robust effect. Once you finish recomp then begin a bulk. Many people suggest just starting bulking which is fine, because you will probably lose some fat even on a bulk. Either way get in the gym and do some heavy compound lifts and get your diet in check.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 05-30-2009 at 11:46 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

ChrissBlake
    fats and muscle are two separate things! Try doing cardio and weightlifting on separate days. You can take in more protein on the weightlifting days though.

Quote Originally Posted by chrissblake View Post
    fats and muscle are two separate things! Try doing cardio and weightlifting on separate days. You can take in more protein on the weightlifting days though.
    There is nothing with some steady state cardio after a lifting session. It will burn the free fatty acids released from the weightlifting and help with DOMS.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 05-30-2009 at 12:26 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Weak Mofo
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help alot.

I'm working on getting my diet together and freeing crap up so I can get my gym routine going.

I would just clean bulk and lift heavy.

Once your body gets some muscle on it, that fat won't be noticeable at all.
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 168lb

Currently:
    Clean Bulking to 180lb as of May 23.

Weak Mofo
    Quote Originally Posted by ArjunDhir View Post
    I would just clean bulk and lift heavy.

Once your body gets some muscle on it, that fat won't be noticeable at all.
    Alright, cool.

I suppose I'm just being stubborn.

How long do you suppose it will take to start seeing results? (not that I am impatient, I'm just wondering)

For someone like this, guys, its going to be very difficult to convince him to straight up go on a dirty bulk. We can assure him that he's skinny as a rod, but this is someone who's probably been a little heavy for most of his life, and he just lost 55 lbs - he's not going to be that ecstatic to start putting weight back on, even if we assure him that most of it will be muscle.

Carb cycling. You can bulk with this too and it will allow you to keep your current bodyfat %, just don't make it too complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    For someone like this, guys, its going to be very difficult to convince him to straight up go on a dirty bulk. We can assure him that he's skinny as a rod, but this is someone who's probably been a little heavy for most of his life, and he just lost 55 lbs - he's not going to be that ecstatic to start putting weight back on, even if we assure him that most of it will be muscle.

Carb cycling. You can bulk with this too and it will allow you to keep your current bodyfat %, just don't make it too complicated.
    I agree completely. I keep my carb cycle very simple and not too extreme and it keeps me where I want to be and is very easy.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    Alright, cool.

I suppose I'm just being stubborn.

How long do you suppose it will take to start seeing results? (not that I am impatient, I'm just wondering)
    if you start lifting heavy (lets say you do Starting Strength) right away, you'll see noticeable physical results (ie. when looking in the mirror) in a few months. but keep in mind it won't be much, bulking and getting into the shape that you see guys in magazines (if you don't take roids) will take years.
    you'll see strength results immediately. remember this, check your ego at the door (don't try to do heavy weights immediately, keep your form proper), everybody starts with low weights. if you keep proper form and lift, you'll be surprised how fast you gain strength. another thing, even if you don't see your body grow, if you're strength is going up, you're getting bigger!
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    There is nothing with some steady state cardio after a lifting session. It will burn the free fatty acids released from the weightlifting and help with DOMS.
    Plus I find it provides me a nice calm and quiet time where I can reflect on the session and correct mentally where I lost focus or where I could have pushed harder, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    I agree completely. I keep my carb cycle very simple and not too extreme and it keeps me where I want to be and is very easy.
    I'm not sure that carb cycles are right for everybody. I've been reading some natural (and not natural) pro bodybuilder journals recently and some of them, even in pre-contest mode, will keep carbohydrate intake the same 7 days a week. And they are shredded obviously (pros).

Yea, I use carb cycle broadly. I think calorie cycling is probably the term I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    Plus I find it provides me a nice calm and quiet time where I can reflect on the session and correct mentally where I lost focus or where I could have pushed harder, etc.
    Yea , I also like to think it gets my blood circulating well before I stretch. Thats what I do after I WO, some SS cardio and foam rolling then stretching. I definitely get a better stretch after Ive done the cardio than before.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 05-30-2009 at 04:11 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Weak Mofo
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post

Yeah, I'd say you understand where I'm coming from. I work my ass off for two and half years after highschool to lose it (it was harder for me than a normal person because of my thyroid disorder). The picture does look skinny, I know, but there is flab around my stomach and such and my goal before I had any thoughts of weight lifting was to just get rid of all of it; and I know I'd end up a skinny ****er so that's where the weight lifting came in. And yeah, I've been heavy my entire life, especially in highschool, which i regret. But trust me, I understand what you are saying and I know all you guys have experience with this and I trust you so I'm gonna go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by nockits View Post
    if you start lifting heavy (lets say you do Starting Strength) right away, you'll see noticeable physical results (ie. when looking in the mirror) in a few months. but keep in mind it won't be much, bulking and getting into the shape that you see guys in magazines (if you don't take roids) will take years.
    you'll see strength results immediately. remember this, check your ego at the door (don't try to do heavy weights immediately, keep your form proper), everybody starts with low weights. if you keep proper form and lift, you'll be surprised how fast you gain strength. another thing, even if you don't see your body grow, if you're strength is going up, you're getting bigger!
    Awesome, because noticing results definitely keeps me going. So that's good to hear.
    Last edited by Mike S; 05-30-2009 at 05:18 PM.

큰남자/Kun Namja
    Quote Originally Posted by nockits View Post
    i'm on a bulking and cutting phase right now, doing both at the same time. keep in mind that it IS possible, it will just take a longer time, and therefore is harder because you need to be constantly dedicated to your diet, and your workout routine.
    good luck!
    This is interesting. Mind writing how you set your plan up?
    Just cuz I'm a teacher, don't mean I'm a pussy.

Currently wrapping up The Eternal Cut.

Good god Mike eat something. You definately need a bulking phase. Find good liftin partners and pound the s hit out of compond movements. Im too lazy to read all the posts, but im sure you got some good advise. Just my 1 cent
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Banned
    Eat clean (grilled chicken breasts, tuna, flank steak, lean ground turkey, brown rice, yams, low fat cottage cheese, etc) and drink tons of water (at least a gallon a day). Go gonzo in the weight room and do a bit of cardio at least 3-4 days a week. You will add lean mass and transform your body. Don't cut just yet and for crying out loud don't do a traditional bulk. GL!