The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

i want to start deadlifting

I want to start dead lifting i never see anyone doing it at my gym though i know its a good exercise that incorporates alot of muscles. The thing is i asked a personal trainer at the gym if i should start dead lifting and he goes no its a dangerous exercise and can cause the spinal discs to be pushed backwards and cause them to bulge or something. Is this a common injury like high risk, what are some ways to avoid this? Thanks for any help

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig New Member
    The deadlift is dangerous if your form is bad and/or you start with to much weight. Just watch some of the demonstration videos floating around and talk with the experts here and start lifting. What everyone here will tell you get a new trainer he obviously doesn't know how to deadlift himself.

Deadlifting is like any other exercise in that it's dangerous if you don't do it right. There are tons of threads that discuss deadlifting form on this forum, and if after reading some of those, looking at youtube videos, and trying it yourself, you can always take a video of yourself deadlifting (go a bit light so you can focus on form) for the experienced people on this board to view and critique.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hazyd123 View Post
    no its a dangerous exercise and can cause the spinal discs to be pushed backwards and cause them to bulge or something.
    Sitting at a computer all day has the same risks ( and my employer requires me to do that ).

Anything *can* be dangerous, but it doesn't *have* to be dangerous. Learn good form and start with light weight.

search online for reputable trainers and then find them and schedule an appointment to work on deadlift form.

Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    search online for reputable trainers and then find them and schedule an appointment to work on deadlift form.
    Or you could save your money and find a real gym wth powerlifters, weightlifters, strongman, etc. and ask them to help you.

Go to a better gym, that trainer sucks...

Here is a how-to post about deadlifting:

http://www.36pounds.com/2009/04/28/how-to-deadlift/

It's a great exercise, definitely hard to do, but worth it. If done correctly!

Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    Or you could save your money and find a real gym wth powerlifters, weightlifters, strongman, etc. and ask them to help you.
    This
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Banned
    find a better gym, your trainer doesn't know what he is talking about

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    After repairing my shattered knee, my surgeon told me to work my way back into squatting and deadlifting... and he's worked with thousands of knees. I think I'll take his advice over the moron trainer that talked to you. Don't listen to that idiot. Make sure your form is perfect and never let your ego get in the way of your lifting and you'll be fine.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by hazyd123 View Post
    I want to start dead lifting i never see anyone doing it at my gym though i know its a good exercise that incorporates alot of muscles. The thing is i asked a personal trainer at the gym if i should start dead lifting and he goes no its a dangerous exercise and can cause the spinal discs to be pushed backwards and cause them to bulge or something. Is this a common injury like high risk, what are some ways to avoid this? Thanks for any help
    he is wrong as are most personal trainers... They are all taught conventional knowledge and that "squatting deep" and doing deadlifts are bad for you. They didn't do any research on it, they were just told that it was bad for you and also told some bull**** reasons. Hell, three of the trainers there came up to me (i am a beginner) and told me to squat parallel. I wasn't going to look like an ******* and fight with them, because i know that nothing positive would have happened out of it. I squat parallel and felt virtually nothing happen besides having to stop my legs in an unnatural motion.

Moral of the story; often times, the trainers at the gym don't know jack **** and if you do research and learn how to use correct form, you will be fine.

I taught myself how to deadlift by watching youtube and videos in the video section. Its not that hard, whatever you do, don't let your back round out at all.

the deadlift has a bad reputation of being "bad for your back" just like the squat being "bad for your knees". It's a misconception people have that just spreads around. but the deadlift is only bad for your back if you ROUND it. You should start with low weight, just the bar so you can work on your form first. If at any time, your back starts to round in deadlifts, it's usually just a strength issue and not a flexibility one.

I for example, have a hard time keeping my back from rounding during squats, but it's very easy (as long as the weight isn't too great) to avoid in deadlifts.
    Age 20-5'10
    Then: 134 lbs November 12, 2008
    Now: 195 lbs

Wannabebig Member Pumping Manny's Avatar
    Like everyone said.
    1) Inform yourself (web articles, youtube etc)
    2) Put your ego @ the entry of the gym
    2) Start slowly, keep a good form all the time. Don't over do it, cause when you'r getting tired the form goes down the drain.
    3) Increase weights when confortable.
    4) Have fun doing it.

It's been 4 months that I'm doing it, without straps, and no problem here. Since I have incorparate this exercice I have increase all my weights everywhere.

Take care

Strength Training/Crossfit hardgainer13's Avatar

grip

do you switch your grip up when deadlifting?

i was told by someone that it doesn't matter, he said he likes to have his strong hand facing out (for most of us right)

but through looking around on here i've heard some people comment on how one trap is larger than that other because they dont switch

i haven't seen any of this so i'm guessing this might just be an individual thing

ofcoarse my deadlift is under 360

thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by hardgainer13 View Post
    do you switch your grip up when deadlifting?

i was told by someone that it doesn't matter, he said he likes to have his strong hand facing out (for most of us right)

but through looking around on here i've heard some people comment on how one trap is larger than that other because they dont switch

i haven't seen any of this so i'm guessing this might just be an individual thing

ofcoarse my deadlift is under 360

thoughts?
    i just alternate my mixed grip every set (during warm up sets), but i make sure to use the stronger of the two mixed grips during my working set.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Strength Training/Crossfit hardgainer13's Avatar
    thanks man

LuNa
    thanks man
    I would advise you, as long as your weights are still a bit lower to use a double overhanded grip. This will develop your grip strength which will be good for when you get heavier weights. It might be a bit hard in the beginning but you should get used to it. Also if you are not using it yet, you might want to consider chalk.
    When i started i couldnt hold 80kg and now i have no problem with 120kg.

Just an idea of course. If you want to use a mixed grip than take nockits advise .

I have my weak hand facing out because it allows me to grip the bar the entire time. I tried the other way and I just couldn't hold on to the bar. Maybe my grip strength is growing, but I want to keep getting my back up in terms of strength.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    Anything *can* be dangerous, but it doesn't *have* to be dangerous. Learn good form and start with light weight.
    This.

Deadlifting, as any other lift, is only dangerous if your form sucks and you try to lift too much weight. If you learn the proper form (read Starting Strength) and go light until you've got your form down, you'll find that the deadlift is one of the best lifts you can do (right next to squats).

I'd go with double overhand grip until you can't, then alternate your grip on the sets following that. Pullups, chinups, farmers walk and grippers will also help your grip strength.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    This.

Deadlifting, as any other lift, is only dangerous if your form sucks and you try to lift too much weight. If you learn the proper form (read Starting Strength) and go light until you've got your form down, you'll find that the deadlift is one of the best lifts you can do (right next to squats).

I'd go with double overhand grip until you can't, then alternate your grip on the sets following that. Pullups, chinups, farmers walk and grippers will also help your grip strength.
    Basically...

People have died doing bench press... so because of a couple morons that's not going to make me stop doing bench press. o.O
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    Basically...

People have died doing bench press... so because of a couple morons that's not going to make me stop doing bench press. o.O
    ive heard of deaths, broken rib cages, torn pecs, separated shoulders, knocked out teeth, herniated disk, broken forearms, broken wrist to name a few injuries from the bench press

and it still remains the favorite exercise, i can make an argument for the bench press being more dangerous than the deadlift, and its not a real natural movement, not to often u push something away with a bench behind you, but u have to pick things up off the ground plenty of times

get ur form straight , start light, then watch your body grow
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"