The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Help me create a routine please!?

Hello, I've just graduated from highschool, and would like to spend this summer before i begin school this fall working hard to bulk up and become more cut. I'm not scrawny but I'm also not fat. I'm about 5'4" (a bit short i know) and about 135 pounds. I don't have much equipment. Mostly a bench(which can be set at an incline and decline as well as level) an opliptical machine, dumbells, and i believe i have some mats for excercising on the floor. I would really love to show results in my chest, shoulders, back, and core, as well as my arms(although i don't have much trouble with those )

I am willing to work hard and deal with soreness. I believe my maximum benching weight is around 120. Please help me create a great routine? I wanna show results fast! please help! thanks! :] corey

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Do you want results in your legs as well? Since this is your first post here and you just joined, welcome, bro. Checkout the sticky articles at the top of the forums for a lot of answers to your questions. Take some time and search the forums and journals as well for plenty of routines that are tried and true. If you need help with substituting movements because of lack of equipment, weight, etc., then post up a new thread and we can help you out with that.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Wannabebig New Member
    During highschool, i built alot of muscle in my legs through 3 years of wrestling practice so for now i'm not worried about them. but if you could help me create a routine i would appreciate it alot!

Banned
    Sorry, I can't help but say... URG, yet another routine post (when there are good pre made ones available ). But with a twist this time, ie please design a routine for me ( instead of critique my routine ).

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel1390 View Post
    bulk up and become more cut
    IMHO, that's an unrealistic goal for the average person. You can either bulk or cut ( to become more cut ). But given you weigh 135, IMHO you should bulk (first).

I don't have much equipment. Mostly a bench(which can be set at an incline and decline as well as level) an opliptical machine, dumbells, and i believe i have some mats for excercising on the floor.
    My advice would be to find a gym. You need to squat even if you aren't "worried" about your legs. Squatting will make you strong, strong equals building muscle everywhere.

I wanna show results fast! please help! thanks!
    That's the concerning part, that is "fast". Everybody wants fast, I understand that, but it just takes time to build muscle. It seems that the people who want "fast" workout really hard for a short time then burn out and never reach their goal. Forget the "fast" and just know it's going to take some time, I think you're more likely to get there if you realize this up front.

As for the routine, find one that's pre-defined and known to give results consistent with your goals ( well, or your goals modified to be realistic and obtainable ). If you don't have all the necessary equipment, my suggestion would be to join a gym ( you may find some people who know what they're doing to train with ).
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 06-09-2009 at 11:27 AM.

During highschool, i built alot of muscle in my legs through 3 years of wrestling practice so for now i'm not worried about them. but if you could help me create a routine i would appreciate it alot!
    false.
    when i first started out, i had the same train of thought, since i've been playing hockey all my life. figures my legs are weaker than i thought, and so are yours!
    read BigTallOx's post carefully, and find a premade routine, like Starting Strength, or one of the ones on this site.

results take months and years to achieve, there's nothing fast when it comes to bodybuilding... if you do it right.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Listen to what BTO said. Do some research and find a pre-made routine like Starting Strength, Madcows, etc., and for God sakes eat... a lot. Oh, and nothing worth having comes fast in this world, you're going to have to work your ass off.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

OP - the knowledge and willingness to help you are here, but it will be hard to help you given your current goals. A few things -

- You probably won't build a fitness model body in 3 months. Do you plan to begin training and continue consistently? Will your university have a weight room you can use?
    - Most at WBB believe in full body lifting, not just upper body. Squat and deadlift are two cornerstones of a solid routine. I understand your equipment at home is limited. Is joining a gym an option?
    - As you said yourself you are a smaller guy than average. That's no problem, there are plenty of short, strong guys even on this website. Many of them have to eat a lot more than they are comfortable with so they can grow muscle. What is your diet like?

It seems like you want to get your beach body ready to go for college. The problem is, you can't build one of those in 3 months (though you can make a good start), and you can't keep one if you don't keep lifting and eating right.

Basically it is fine that you're looking for advice. There are a lot of smart, strong guys (I'm not counting myself as one) on this site that are surprisingly willing to help you. But you may need to adjust your goals and your plans some if you want solid advice. There is no such thing as a good lifting routine that doesn't include lower body work at all.

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks guys i appreciate the help, and in reply to some earlier statements, I do eat well, and i have no intention of cutting my lower body completely out of my routine, it just wont be my focus. also I'm concerned with the "eating alot to build muscle" i also would like to have a cut core(which apparently will take time after bulking) will this affect that? and thanks guys i'll start lookin at some routines.

Gotta gain fat to gain muscle. No way around it. I've gone up and back down many times now. Each time I've done it I get stronger and carry more muscle.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Thanks guys i appreciate the help, and in reply to some earlier statements, I do eat well, and i have no intention of cutting my lower body completely out of my routine, it just wont be my focus. also I'm concerned with the "eating alot to build muscle" i also would like to have a cut core(which apparently will take time after bulking) will this affect that? and thanks guys i'll start lookin at some routines.
    let me go over this. your legs are half your body. it has half your bodies growth hormones, which to most people means it should be half their focus. unless you can squat 3 times what you bench or deadlift, it should be your focus.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

<edited, I misread the person I quoted>

OP, a popular beginning routine is Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. You can also do the WBB 1.1 routine, or the Baby Got Back routine, both of which are available on this site. Those seem to be the ones that new lifters find the most success with. There is a sticky at the top of this board the explains SS.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 06-09-2009 at 12:56 PM.