The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Baby Got Back Routine (BGB)

Hey guys, im Benno and new to this site. Ive been doing weight lifting for about 2 years now so pretty much know all the basics. For majority of my time ive done mainly a 5 Bodypart split program meaning i would train 5 days a week:

Chest
    Arms
    Legs
    Back
    Shoulders
    OFF
    OFF

I really want to ramp up results quickly and a few people have recommend the Baby Got Back Routine. I must say i really like the look of this program. Im very serious with my training and would love to compete within the next year or so.. My eating is very clean, at the most i will have 1 cheat day per week thats if i feel like it. Im roughly about 190lbs at 6ft and looking to clean bulk to over 200lbs.

If anyone has used this program could you please tell me how it went for you? How long did u continue doing the same routine? Did u change up the exercises every 3-4 weeks? Was the program worthwhile overall? Just stuff like this really, express yourself

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.. Just looking to try something different, but keep doing major compounds to add size and strength.

Thanks for your time!
    Benno

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I followed this routine from August 07 to November 08. In that time period i went from 150 ish to 190 ish. There was some time off in there and some weight fluctuations but yeah.

Results-
    40 lb weight gain
    max bench 200-315
    max deadlift 275-405
    max squat 185-350
    Big back, posture fixed.

Thanks Built and WBB!
    Bench 408 (Single Ply)
    Deadlift 507 (Belt only)
    Squat 515 (Single Ply)
    JOURNAL
    VIDEOS

Quote Originally Posted by danmac View Post
    I followed this routine from August 07 to November 08. In that time period i went from 150 ish to 190 ish. There was some time off in there and some weight fluctuations but yeah.

Results-
    40 lb weight gain
    max bench 200-315
    max deadlift 275-405
    max squat 185-350
    Big back, posture fixed.

Thanks Built and WBB!
    Hey mate, Thanks for your input! Congratz on the big gains, very nice

So did you change up the routine to other exercises recommended by the program? Or kept it the same? If so every 3-4 weeks? Or when u find your plateau'in? Did u use the program mainly for adding mass?
    Last edited by benno; 05-28-2009 at 11:00 PM.

I <3 this routine so much. I'm still on it and have been steadily increasing my lifts.
    5'10" 196lbs as of 6/10/11
    Best lifts B 365/ S 425/ DL 545/ OHP 200
    Goals: B 385+ S 450+ DL 600+ OHP 225+
    Progression Pics->http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122375
    Journal with vids/pics http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...07#post2364507

Quote Originally Posted by xtian View Post
    I <3 this routine so much. I'm still on it and have been steadily increasing my lifts.
    Thanks for ur input Btw - Is that you in your profile picture? Your massive

How long have u been doing the program for? Do u change up the routine with different exercises that are recommended? Would u say its a good workout for a clean bulk? Im looking to add good muscle mass, strength while trying to stay lean.

Thanks,
    Benno

Wannabebig Member
    I too did it for a while a few years ago, about 6 months, and im now doing it again, although I modified it a little so that rather than mixing up legs/arms, I just made a legs and arms separate days, mainly because I like to do legs on their own and really focus on them. So it looked like this:

1. Horizontal Push Pull
    Deads 4x5
    BB row 4x5

Flat bench press 4x6-8
    Incline Dumbell 4x8-10

2. Arms

BB curl 3x6-8
    DB curl 3x6-8

Skull crushers 3x6-8
    Press downs 3x6-8

Usually I would superset bis and tris and get it done in like 20 minutes, then do some core. This was also my run day.

3. off.

4. Vertical Push Pull

overhead BB Press 4x6-8
    Lateral raises 4x8-10

Wide Grip Chins/Pulldowns 4x6-8, usually weighted
    Reverse grip chins/pulldowns (since i dont have a hammer strength machine as perscribed in the article) for these i liked to just use bodyweight and go for as many as possible for 4 sets, little rest between.

at the end id do 4 or 5 sets of shrugs

5. Legs

Squats 3 or 4 warm up sets + 4-6 working sets of 6-8
    Leg press or Bulgarian Squat 4x8-10
    SLDL 4x8-10
    Standing Calve Raises 4x16-20

Then days 6 and 7 were rest, completing the week, and usually giving me the weekend off provided I didnt miss a workout during the week. Sundays (day 7) were run day #2.

I had the best gains Ive ever had doing this. I really had my diet dialed in at the time so that helped a lot. I went from about 200lbs to 225 in at most about 4 months, and Im an extremely lanky guy at 6'5". Bench went from about 200x10 to 225x12, also did 285 for 2. Deadlift sets from 225 to 300, squats about 225 to 275, my legs are a definite weak point though. Now, Im back doing it, after taking an almost 2 year hiatus from serious lifting due to a number of reasons, major injury, as well as being in parts of the world where I couldnt work out. I dropped to about 185 from 225 in a matter of a few months because of those reasons, but im back now, doing this same program since about last oct/nov, and im back up to about 215. Looking for another 10lbs at least before significantly switching it up. I modified it to fit my own preferences a bit, but the push pull idea is the same. All praise be to Built for coming up with this concept. Clearly, I recommend it.
    Last edited by Speedwagon; 05-28-2009 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
    I too did it for a while a few years ago, about 6 months, and im now doing it again, although I modified it a little so that rather than mixing up legs/arms, I just made a legs and arms separate days, mainly because I like to do legs on their own and really focus on them. So it looked like this:

1. Horizontal Push Pull
    Deads 4x5
    BB row 4x5

Flat bench press 4x6-8
    Incline Dumbell 4x8-10

2. Arms

BB curl 3x6-8
    DB curl 3x6-8

Skull crushers 3x6-8
    Press downs 3x6-8

Usually I would superset bis and tris and get it done in like 20 minutes, then do some core. This was also my run day.

3. off.

4. Vertical Push Pull

overhead BB Press 4x6-8
    Lateral raises 4x8-10

Wide Grip Chins/Pulldowns 4x6-8, usually weighted
    Reverse grip chins/pulldowns (since i dont have a hammer strength machine as perscribed in the article) for these i liked to just use bodyweight and go for as many as possible for 4 sets, little rest between.

at the end id do 4 or 5 sets of shrugs

5. Legs

Squats 3 or 4 warm up sets + 4-6 working sets of 6-8
    Leg press or Bulgarian Squat 4x8-10
    SLDL 4x8-10
    Standing Calve Raises 4x16-20

Then days 6 and 7 were rest, completing the week, and usually giving me the weekend off provided I didnt miss a workout during the week. Sundays (day 7) were run day #2.

I had the best gains Ive ever had doing this. I really had my diet dialed in at the time so that helped a lot. I went from about 200lbs to 225 in at most about 4 months, and Im an extremely lanky guy at 6'5". Bench went from about 200x10 to 225x12, also did 285 for 2. Deadlift sets from 225 to 300, squats about 225 to 275, my legs are a definite weak point though. Now, Im back doing it, after taking an almost 2 year hiatus from serious lifting due to a number of reasons, major injury, as well as being in parts of the world where I couldnt work out. I dropped to about 185 from 225 in a matter of a few months because of those reasons, but im back now, doing this same program since about last oct/nov, and im back up to about 215. Looking for another 10lbs at least before significantly switching it up. I modified it to fit my own preferences a bit, but the push pull idea is the same. All praise be to Built for coming up with this concept. Clearly, I recommend it.
    Hey mate, Thanks alot for your input and nice results too!

Im probably looking to write one up soon to suit me, with the recommended exercises given obviously. Just wondering what was your rest times during sets? Through big lifts like deads/squats/legpresses etc. did u find u needed more rest?

Benno.

Wannabebig Member
    For big lifts like deads, squats, bench the rest times were typically a little on the long side for me, maybe 3-5 minutes or so. these lifts were always max effort, usually completely failing on the final rep, so the tempo obviously had to slow down a tad. isolation exercises probly between 1-2 minutes rest. its pretty low volume though so workouts werent typically longer than about 45 minutes, max an hour, except for some leg days which would go a little longer due to the squatting.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
    For big lifts like deads, squats, bench the rest times were typically a little on the long side for me, maybe 3-5 minutes or so. these lifts were always max effort, usually completely failing on the final rep, so the tempo obviously had to slow down a tad. isolation exercises probly between 1-2 minutes rest. its pretty low volume though so workouts werent typically longer than about 45 minutes, max an hour, except for some leg days which would go a little longer due to the squatting.
    Oh okay, thanks

Regarding Squats, could i replace it with leg presses as my main quad movement? Ive got disk protrusions in my lower back so putting load on my lower spine can be dangerous. Though i do understand if the squat is performed correctly u can reduce the load on your lower back and put more load on your glutes hams and quads. So maybe start out light so i master the technique with 5x5? Or could i get away with Leg presses? Squats i know give more benefit and are a bigger lift.

Any suggestions? Thankyou

Are you still using this routine, even though your on a cut? I saw your picture thread. Would like to know if it would work while Im on a cut.
    Last edited by Brian999; 05-29-2009 at 08:36 AM.

Who you callin' Clown? TUEFELHUNDEN's Avatar
    It will work on a cut. It's an awesome routine.
    Goal = IM 70.3 Racine 2010 (Sub 5 hour)
    LOG----->http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...58#post2079858

New routine.

Hey guys, Thanks for the post.

How does this workout look? Please express your thoughts! Looking to start it monday!

Pretty much identical to the suggested routine, Just changed up the Bicep work slightly and also the hammer rows as i dont have on in my gym. Obviously the Routine and exercises are in ORDER.

Day 1: Horizontal push pull, calves, and abs

Thickness-Back:

Rack pulls 5◊5 (direct, hard, strength range)
    Bent-over rows 3◊8 (hypertrophy range)

Chest:

Flat bench 5◊5
    Incline dumbbell press 3◊8
    Incline cable flyes 3◊10-12

Calves: (soleus) 3◊12-20 seated calf raises. Pause at the bottom

Abs: 3 sets of 8-12, weighted

Day 2: Quad dominant, hamstring accessory. Biceps.

Quads:

Full squats 5◊5
    Leg press 3◊8

Hamstrings:

Leg curls 3-4 sets of 12-20

Biceps:

Standing EZ Barbell Curls 5◊5
    Seated alternating bicep curls 3◊8-12

Day 3: Vertical push-pull, calves, abs

Width-Back:

Chins 5◊5
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns 3◊8-12

Bent Over Side Laterals 3x10
    Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press 5◊5
    Standing side laterals 3◊8

Calves: (gastrocs) standing calf raises, 3◊8-10

Abs: 3 sets of 8-12, weighted

Day 4: Hamstring dominant, quad accessory. Triceps.

Hamstrings/glutes:

Romanian Deadlifts 5◊5
    High foot placement leg press 3◊8

Quads:

Seated leg extensions 3◊12-20

Triceps:

Skullcrushers 5◊5
    Cable pressdowns 3◊8-12

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by benno View Post
    Anyone?
    Looks pretty much bang on. Go for it. Though i would like to see a little conventional deadlifting in there. Maybe on the hamstring/ glute day work to a max set of 5 on deadlifts before doing the romanians.
    Bench 408 (Single Ply)
    Deadlift 507 (Belt only)
    Squat 515 (Single Ply)
    JOURNAL
    VIDEOS

Quote Originally Posted by benno View Post
    Thanks for ur input Btw - Is that you in your profile picture? Your massive

How long have u been doing the program for? Do u change up the routine with different exercises that are recommended? Would u say its a good workout for a clean bulk? Im looking to add good muscle mass, strength while trying to stay lean.

Thanks,
    Benno
    Yes that's me .

I've been doing bgb religously for 2 years now. for the most part, I do use most of the recommended exercises. I think this routine would be perfect for your goals, but keep in mind that your diet will play a bigger role.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian999 View Post
    Are you still using this routine, even though your on a cut? I saw your picture thread. Would like to know if it would work while Im on a cut.
    Still using the routine while on my cut.
    5'10" 196lbs as of 6/10/11
    Best lifts B 365/ S 425/ DL 545/ OHP 200
    Goals: B 385+ S 450+ DL 600+ OHP 225+
    Progression Pics->http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122375
    Journal with vids/pics http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...07#post2364507

Yes that's me .

I've been doing bgb religously for 2 years now. for the most part, I do use most of the recommended exercises. I think this routine would be perfect for your goals, but keep in mind that your diet will play a bigger role.

Still using the routine while on my cut.
    Thanks for the input lads... Will be starting this tomorrow then....

My eating is really clean and eating alot. I havent been tracking my calories but im having meals 6-7 times a day.. Really big meals at breakfast,lunch and dinner. Other meals consist of protein shakes, yougarts , nuts etc.. I will keep you's posted to my new journal thread if anyone is keen to see my progress? Would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Benno.

Oh and also would it be fine for me to throw in:

3x 8-12Reps of Pull-Overs on the Nautilus cable machine?

So it would look like this in order:

Width-Back:

Chins 5◊5
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns 3◊8-12
    Pullovers (Machine) 3x 8-12

Would it be overtraining? Just want to isolate the serratus a bit more through this routine.

Thankyou

Anyone?

Georgia Boy
    Thats what I do and have not had any problems with it

Quote Originally Posted by Transformer View Post
    Thats what I do and have not had any problems with it
    Thanks m8

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    I'm on it and love this routine.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Working it out, working it bamazav's Avatar
    I was considering changing to another routine. The internal arguing that a 4 day split is too hard on the body for this 45 year old. I have re thought my view and am going to stay with BGB. It really is a great routine.
    Working on getting stronger in body, mind and soul.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Who you callin' Clown? TUEFELHUNDEN's Avatar
    The thing is if you are wanting to add somthing to this program, which is already pretty taxing if you are putting in serious effort, is that if you get too run down from it, just remove some of the accessory stuff. I don't think there is a problem if you are feeling good and want to do some....bicep curls, situps, leg lifts, tri-extensions etc...but if it seems too taxing just dump them.
    Goal = IM 70.3 Racine 2010 (Sub 5 hour)
    LOG----->http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...58#post2079858